Why isn't Sideshow Collectibles the number one?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatWoman'sPenPal

Super Freak
Reaction score
As I understand it Hot Toys is number one when it comes to poseable action figures but why isn't Sideshow Collectibles the number one?

This is a genuine question and not an attempt at stirring things up.

I think it has mostly to do with QC. Although Hot Toys were the ones who made the practice of over charging 1/6 goods popular, they also pushed the envelope when it came to making figures. Back when Hot Toys was another military 1/6 company that on occasion would make the unofficial celebrity figures, they were known for their quality despite charging $100 dollars for a figure - this was when Sideshow was charging $40.

The 1/6 community who collected military figures loved the quality that HT made. I think because they were known for their quality way at the start, they became 1 and mainstream once they started making 1/6 licensed figures. Them going to license from military, also helped killed the popular of military figures. Then again, the genre was slowly dying at the time since companies like BBI and 21st Century toys were going under.

Sideshow figures are nowhere near as good as Hot Toys. Generally, headsculpts, paint, and clothing are all inferior to HT's despite very similar price points. Even the base bodies aren't as good, being loose or with poor articulation. The recent Snake Plissken cannot even stand without being supported. Before, they were priced lower than HT, so many collectors, accepted the flaws. No excuse for that now though.

HT aren't perfect either though, particularly QC issues regarding rubber parts, but on the whole, are still way ahead of Sideshow.

From previous comments I've seen (from customers and on here) the Quality is a major part and the detail on the figure in which Hot Toys are superior to Sideshow for (however the deluxe Darth Vader sideshow did was great! Imo)

Hot Toys are not perfect (but who are?) but they have the sixth scale market cornered off

Sideshow are great when it comes to statues and the detail on them are top class

Hopefully they take on board what is said on here and make some improvements

SS has top notch sculptures and painters for their artist proofs.......their production factory on the other hand.....

HT started out as an 1/6 company, with subcontracting manufacturing. After achieved financial leverage with enough production they begin backward integration (have their own manufacturing facilities), then forward integration (direct distribution). SS is just a license holder, distributor, and direct sales. They do not have manufacturing support (relying on others, HT, etc.) This is the simplest way of putting it. If you put in-house artists, direct contact with franchises into the picture then the answer is clear.

Because they ::: Code of Conduct ::: everything they make.

:lol

They can't come close to replicating their prototypes in the production run coupled with recent qc plagues across a multitude of licenses/releases and price hikes across the board.

Honestly, when Sideshow is on their game then they are borderline comparable to the average Hot Toys release. Problem is they aren't nearly consistent enough with that quality. Sometimes you get something amazing like a lot of their 1/6 GI Joe work, and other times you get something like their Uncharted: Nathan Drake figure that looked great in pre-production but the release product had a weirdly distorted head.

HT ... After achieved financial leverage with enough production they begin backward integration (have their own manufacturing facilities), then forward integration (direct distribution).

This is good perspective and a succinct summary. AKA, Vertical Integration. See also: Apple.

This is good perspective and a succinct summary. AKA, Vertical Integration. See also: Apple.

You're right. My business strategies class is so far back in my memory that I forgot this is called "Vertical Integration". [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, is there a forum policy against comparing sideshow and hot toys and negatively dissing sideshow?

One forum member made a passing remark suggesting something of that nature.

Back