why Hot Toys doesn't get TV licenses and do TV series characters (TVMS)?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alainator

Super Freak
Reaction score
I would love to have HT do TV licenses such as Dexter, Smallville, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead etc. I know some smaller companie sare making a few of those. But I would prefer HT producing them.

Truthfully, I wouldn't rule anything out. With the success of shows like Arrow and The Flash, and their continually growing universes, and the new Marvel Netflix shows on the horizon, we're starting to see more and more shows that fit in with HT's current style, and, honestly, after seeing how quickly Howard jumped on the QS bandwagon after Enterbay's success with it, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they wound up buying up a bunch of TV rights just because they saw ThreeZero making bank.

With HT, I've noticed that the figures they do make are ones they either did when they were new and were very successful with them or ones the 1/6 community makes customs of. For example, the recent Marty Mcfly 1/6. This seems odd for them to make especially how old the movie is and most of the stuff they make are still relevant due to movie sequels. However, it is likely that the license was picked because this forum has had a hard on for Marty Mcfly customs a few years ago. Nothing wrong with that as we are now getting an official figure. However, the point I am making is that if the series becomes super popular on the forums, it might be made. For TV shows, are any of those popular overseas? With movies, it is a no brainer. That could be one reason why TV shows licensed figures aren't being made by HT

I think the biggest issue with TV shows is the cast and outfits can change frequently. Look at the Walking Dead. Even McFarlane can't keep up with the cast or their current looks. ThreeZero is making a Rick 5, soon to be 6, seasons behind. Its hard to judge what might be an iconic look and what might be forgettable before a show ends. If they make an Arrow figure, does he come with the make up 'mask' or the real mask he got later? Will Flash have a new outfit next year? Will Coulson still just be in a suit? They could have made a Season 1 Ward figure and then kind of regret it by the time season 2 came around. So there is that issue. If they wait until a show is over, is the demand still there. Its a tough licensing choice, despite there being some obvious shows they and/or other companies should be doing. I think Flash and Arrow would be good ones for them to pick up, and so would SHIELD if any interesting costumes popped up.

I think Doom's point about popularity in Asia is probably a major factor. Also, lots of the more popular TV shows just have guys in suits or casual attire interacting, which HT doesn't pursue very much. Game of Thrones and Walking Dead could be up their alley, but I'm not sure about their popularity in Hong Kong. Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theory, and Mad Men type stuff doesn't fit in with their mission statement.

They should do Small Wonder figures.

small-wonder-smoking-is-cool.jpg

Hot Toys don't do it because you all keep buying goddamn Avengers variants.

I'm looking at you ....YES YOU !

Stop it.

:)

I think the biggest issue with TV shows is the cast and outfits can change frequently. Look at the Walking Dead. Even McFarlane can't keep up with the cast or their current looks. ThreeZero is making a Rick 5, soon to be 6, seasons behind. Its hard to judge what might be an iconic look and what might be forgettable before a show ends. If they make an Arrow figure, does he come with the make up 'mask' or the real mask he got later? Will Flash have a new outfit next year? Will Coulson still just be in a suit? They could have made a Season 1 Ward figure and then kind of regret it by the time season 2 came around. So there is that issue. If they wait until a show is over, is the demand still there. Its a tough licensing choice, despite there being some obvious shows they and/or other companies should be doing. I think Flash and Arrow would be good ones for them to pick up, and so would SHIELD if any interesting costumes popped up.

The Green Arrow one seems kind of like a non issue. Just give him a removable mask with the made-up eyes underneath.

I think Doom's point about popularity in Asia is probably a major factor. Also, lots of the more popular TV shows just have guys in suits or casual attire interacting, which HT doesn't pursue very much. Game of Thrones and Walking Dead could be up their alley, but I'm not sure about their popularity in Hong Kong. Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theory, and Mad Men type stuff doesn't fit in with their mission statement.

I think a lot of ppl here tends to forget that the license HT gets are movies that tend to be popular worldwide. Nowadays, Hollywood makes the most profit overseas so it makes if HT makes figures based on popular movie licenses since ppl in Asia would buy them. There are also figures of Japanese movies that HT has made in the past, so we know that there is HT figures are also popular among people in Asian countries.

With TV shows on the other hand, are they popular overseas and if so, how can HT make figures out for said TV to catch on the craze? The Walking Dead is very popular in the States, but would a Rick Grimes figure sell if it takes 3 years for HT to produce the figure and get it out to the stores?

I had forgotten that HT did do tv shows license figures in the past, but that probably wasn't successful since no one here brought it up. Remember the Prison Break figures? Those probably didn't do too well since we later saw the headsculpts for that series repackaged for the Truetype line. Correct me if I am wrong since I didn't follow closely with that line, but didn't the sets came out in limited quantities and during the last season or after the show had ended?

Pretty much. The time of HT taking chances on random licenses are long over. They won't make much past Superheroes, Star Wars, Terminator and Alien/Predators.

Are Tonto, Maleficient, Ichabod Crane, Kerberos Panzer, Sucker Punch, etc random licenses? :dunno

Stop it.

YSkNTAx.gif

Get in while the gettin' is good. :lecture

Stop it.

hhn.gif

To be honest TV characters just plain uninteresting as action figure. Maybe only one I want just Xena because good outfit design

I thought they did with Batman and Prison Break...
Anyway, they are 80's fans so I wonder why they haven't latched on to Ghostbusters yet.

Asia market is bigger than ever especially involving Robotic thematic and Movies. As we know producing IronMan all the time does give them good times.
They will not bother with TV series because the selling will not be great as Movies do. I believe that TV series are more popular in States compare to Asia even tough a lot of us in Asia know the characters and watch the episodes. Anyway, we Asians do not bother to watch the whole episodes which leads to we do not bother to have the figure even tough we like the character except the hype on superheroes are so great.
HT is not used to be who tried to produce limited figures and did unexpected surprising characters. They know the market on superheroes are good around the globe. So, why they bother to do small markets while they can do bigger?
TV series heroes are not too bad such as The Flash, The villain Deathstroke but they will not appear on blockbuster or cinemas.
My opinion only.

Honestly, as many great TV shows as there are now, it's hard to think of many that would make for a good HT 1/6 line (I mean, Smallville and Gotham? Seriously?). Obviously it would be cool to see their take on the Walking Dead, or older shows like Trek TOS, but for the most part most of the really cool and iconic characters and costumes are in the movies.

At least most of the ones I'd want to have.

Honestly, as many great TV shows as there are now, it's hard to think of many that would make for a good HT 1/6 line (I mean, Smallville and Gotham? Seriously?). Obviously it would be cool to see their take on the Walking Dead, or older shows like Trek TOS, but for the most part most of the really cool and iconic characters and costumes are in the movies.

At least most of the ones I'd want to have.

Arrow and Flash are iconic characters with cool outfits.

If Empire continues in its massive ratings (beat Walking Dead) I could see the want of a Lucious Lyon.

:lol Cookie Lyon in 1:6th form.

I think a lot of good point are made here, one being the popularity factor and costume changes but I think also lead time. It takes a while to get a figure out and with some of these shows people love the character one minute and then hate them the next. Who knows though, with Threezero doing GOT figures maybe HT will dip into this pool. I'd love a Harrison Wells Reverse Flash on my shelves

Back