Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (12/16/16) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meanstreak

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
rogue-one-title-treatment-1024x357.jpg

Since I couldn't find an official thread for the spin-offs and it looks like directors and cast are getting lined up, figured it would be best to discuss the movies in this thread than clog up the Force Awakens thread.

Looks like the first stand alone film (which releases in Dec 2016) is directed by Gareth Edwards and is looking to star Felicity Jones and Aaron Paul. It's rumored to focus on a group of Bounty Hunters.

Here's some links with further info:
'Star Wars' Stand-alone Movie Hiring Oscar-Nominated Writer (Exclusive) - The Hollywood Reporter
'Star Wars' Stand-alone Movie to Star Felicity Jones (Exclusive) - The Hollywood Reporter

If I missed the thread where all of this should be discussed please merge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Star Wars stand-alone/spin-off films discussion

Darn, I was rooting for the actress from Orphan Black. :( I think she's amazing.

Bounty Hunters. But of course.

There's too many bounty hunters in the Star Wars universe. They need culling. I say send a bounty hunter hunter after them.

Aaron Paul to introduce the b-word to the Star Wars universe. Movie will be rated a hard PG-13, by golly.

Boba Fett by Gareth Edwards.

Starring Bryan Cranston (for five minutes until he's picked off by Bossk.)

Fett will be a good guy. First atomic wristflamethrower blast will be epic.

Seriously though wasn't half the cantina and jabba's palace made up of bounty hunters?

Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba were playing with fire by announcing themselves to Luke as 'wanted men' while in such company.

Last edited:

Well it is the universe. That's like questioning all those bikers in the bar in the intro of Terminator.

If Felicity Jones is a bounty hunter, I would buy 15 tickets to see that spin off.

Boba Fett is one of my favorite characters... i would love to see him in action, but i don't want to meet his family... i don't want to know too much about the man. i don't think today's generation is going to have the same affection for him if everything is spelled out... he should be the embodiment of mystery. we dig him because we create him within our own imaginations.

I want what they did with Hopkins as Hannibal, with Boba. Keep lines to a minimum, and make it the audience's job to fill in the gaps.

Boba Fett is one of my favorite characters... i would love to see him in action, but i don't want to meet his family... i don't want to know too much about the man. i don't think today's generation is going to have the same affection for him if everything is spelled out... he should be the embodiment of mystery. we dig him because we create him within our own imaginations.

Agreed. I think any back story written for him will not come close to the stories we've been making up for him over the past couple of decades. It's more fun not to know specifics. We never saw him without his helmet either, and I think in doing so will lose a little of his cache. We'll see what happens.

Just let Karl Urban play him like he did Dredd. Keep the helmet on, don't talk too much, be a badass. Maybe have someone say "What kind of name is Boba?" And Urban Fett can reply "It's what they called the chump who gave me this helmet." "Gave?" "Yeah."

Just to make it official that the ESB/Spin-off Fett was never that lame little Jango clone.

Just let Karl Urban play him like he did Dredd. Keep the helmet on, don't talk too much, be a badass. Maybe have someone say "What kind of name is Boba?" And Urban Fett can reply "It's what they called the chump who gave me this helmet." "Gave?" "Yeah."

Just to make it official that the ESB/Spin-off Fett was never that lame little Jango clone.

You practically ook the words right out of my mouth.

Star Wars Spin-Off Title Announced: ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’

ROGUE ONE IS THE FIRST STAR WARS STAND-ALONE FILM
RIAN JOHNSON TO WRITE AND DIRECT STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII

THE TITLE FOR DIRECTOR GARETH EDWARDS' STAND-ALONE MOVIE, FEATURING ACTRESS FELICITY JONES, IS REVEALED, AND RIAN JOHNSON IS CONFIRMED FOR STAR WARS: EPISODE VIII -- COMING TO THEATERS MAY 26, 2017.

“Always in motion is the future,” Yoda said. The future of the Star Wars cinematic galaxy, however, is taking shape.

Force Awakens: Dec. 2015
Rogue One: Dec. 2016
Episode VIII: May 26, 2017

headshots-1536x864-619519567349.jpg

This morning at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, across the street from Lucasfilm, Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger hosted a shareholder meeting where he announced news regarding the first Star Wars stand-alone movie as well as Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016.

In addition, Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema’s most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including “Ozymandias,” which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce.

StarWars.com. All Star Wars, all the time.

Rogue One Title Revealed, Rian Johnson Confirmed for Star Wars: Episode VIII | StarWars.com

Re: Star Wars Spin-Off Title Announced: ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’

I have always found the Rogue Squadron stuff boring. Was hoping for a Boba Fett solo movie to start things off.

Re: Star Wars Spin-Off Title Announced: ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’

Gareth Edwards... :lol

Not interested.

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One - December 16, 2016

So I take it we won't see our first X-Wing until an hour into the film? First proton torpedo blast should be epic at least.

Back