ED209 with real hex bolts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krafter

Freakalicious
Reaction score
201.jpg

This is my first post and if I posted something wrong you guys can help me correct it. I have wanted to do this for a very long time, and it takes a tremendous effort to do. No power tools can be used since the smallest mistake leads to big problems. I had to get specialized hand tools to get this quality done. Tracking down the correct hex bolts are also a big deal. Now I will say in they do make the bolts in flat black or steel just as you see here. To be clear I have selected steel because I love the way it looks. I would love to hear the comments and feedback to keep me motivated to finish. I also need help on how to take apart the lower legs, not the toes. Enjoy!

I have 3 domes total, 2 of the 3 are rotting. 1 of 2 rotting was from the 2006 release. I'm very upset about this issue, and tried for years to call the factory to find out why it is happening. I did not have any success in contacting anyone that could really help. I begged them to contact me before this new release because I'm qualified to help in this matter, nothing. Best I could do is buy rubber hydraulic protectant grease from Germany, it seems to have stopped the damage. All the models and life sized ED209 had the dome made from Fiberglass weave, so no need to use rubber at all! The dome was a real idea "radar dome" that is ED209s eyes, so the composite weave look did match up to real radar domes of the time. In 2008 I did see on ebay a fan made a few replacement domes from real fiberglass, but the price held me back. Now I regret not getting one because I hate working with fiberglass.

The kind you find in model airplane stores, and it sets with 2 part epoxy glue. Just talk into a RC model airplane store and they will fully explain and show you all the cool pattern types. I already got some just need to test it out one day and see if I can make it, but the shape is very hard I have tried with other materials and failed.

Back