Female Statues: A plea to Sideshow Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZMike

Super Freak
Reaction score
So Ive noticed that the comic versions of our favorite female heroes have been getting some costume makeovers lately in the more conservative direction (Batgirl, Captain Marvel, etc.).

It got me thinking & please don't get defensive about this ok? So Ive been collecting for only a short while, but its pretty obvious that the majority of the female super hero sculpts lean heavily on the T&A quotient. Ive been reading comics for a long time so Im aware of how female characters have been drawn for decades. My issue, which may be unique to me but i doubt it, is that I have kids and a fairly conservative wife. Id like to collect my favorite female PF's, but most are just too excessively sexy for me display without my wife being uncomfortable. Before you rail on my wife, she's very pretty and its not a confidence or insecurity thing, she's just a more modest person which I respect and love.

I understand most of you and possibly your significant others feel differently and thats ok, but I would like to see Sideshow approach some of these iconic characters with this new modest (and IMO more realistic) approach to costume design.

Anyways, I have a feeling I'm about to get destroyed here, but I hope it can be a respectful discussion on a topic thats been on my mind for awhile now. So with that, THOUGHTS?

T&A sells, so it's not going to change. No one's buying Wonder Woman in a sweat suit. Nothing your wife or your kids see in your statues, can't be seen on TV, at the beach, in magazines, and on the internet. I can understand not wanting to promote unrealistic body images if you have kids, especially girls but again it's everywhere.

It's a shift that's been happening in the comics lately. We've seen characters like Ms. Marvel and Psylocke abandon their traditional, more revealing costumes for costumes that focus a bit more on function. And it seems to be carrying over into the collectibles at least a little.

I'm glad there's less of an emphasis on T&A. I read comics for the story as much as the art, and I like to think of these female heroes as real individuals who have real motivations for doing what they do. It can be hard to do that when they wear skimpy outfits that seem to have no purpose beyond showing as much skin as possible. With the statues specifically, I think it's perfectly possible to sculpt something that celebrates the female form without overdoing the T&A factor. Mark Newman's female Bowen statues ('90s Jean Grey, Spider-Woman on Gargoyle, etc.) are a great example. They're beautiful and elegant without being overtly sexual.

There should be room in this hobby for all tastes. But if you're going to do a sexualized statue, at least make sure it fits the character and whatever story the statue is trying to convey.

Personally, I just want to see more female PF movie characters instead of just a very few and tons of comic ones. Would love a Selene, The Bride, Trinity etc......wishful thinking.

I don't have kids and my wife likes the T&A on my statues so I'm probably not the best person to chime in on this topic, but I'm going to anyway. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way so I'll preface this with everyone has different tastes and sensibilities so not everyone will be happy with the collectibles produced by any company My point-of-view is that these characters have been around for a long time and most have had a few different outfits. However, each character does have their iconic costume that is instantly recognizable and considered the main look for the character--and yes, most of the time it's sexy. That's the representation of the character I want on my shelf--not whatever is the costume of the moment. If SS made a Batgirl PF with the new costume that's in the comics I would pass on it. The new costume they're making for Spider-Woman? Pass. Anyone remember this version of Vampirella?

vampi11-cov-desjardins.jpg

No, because it was stupid and no one knew it was her. Pass.

I understand some of the female figures are overly-sexualized but that's because most of them aren't trying to attract 5-year olds to the comic book or statue hobby, mainly because they don't have any money--adults do and the majority of adults that spend money on this stuff want bewbs. Now, if SS decides to make a modern suit Batgirl AFTER producing the iconic costume PF, then fine (though I'd still be irritated that they wasted a PF spot on something like that when there are a lot of characters I'd rather see get their first statue).

:goodpost:

Sorry, but if these characters are going to be made into PFs, it should be with their classic costumes. I've liked some of the New 52 story arcs, but I don't want to collect New 52 depictions of classic characters that I know and love.

I've seen plenty of attractive women that like to show off their bodies. Why would women in comic books be any different? I think the problem is that we live in a prudish society that can't accept the female form being sexual.

Edit: If that comic didn't say "Vampirella" across the top, I would think that was supposed to be Underworld related, or something like that. In fact, until you pointed out that it was Vampirella I just assumed that it was some supporting character from her universe.

As long as the PF matches the character in the comics I'm cool with it... Batgirl has always had a full costume (IE: Batman style suit) so it would be inaccurate if SS sexed her up by showing more skin. The same would be true if SS made a Starfire PF and gave her a full suit, it would be inaccurate also... As long as SS keeps the PF's accurate to the comic book then all is good...

You also have Spider-Woman, Jean Grey, Rogue, Black Widow, Harley & Catwoman in full suits.... so you already have options.... If your expecting them to give someone like Red Sonja a full outfit then it will be a very long wait....

Last edited:
I also follow the thought that if it matches what she wears in the comics, then that's OK. What I would have a problem with, is if Sideshow deliberately created a costume for my favorite female characters solely for the purpose of making them more conservative. That would be a huge fail in my opinion.

Great feedback everyone. I appreciate the respectful responses regardless of whether we agree. :clap

For the most part its best to keep the costumes... however I think its cool to have some variety now and then, show characters in casual dress and whatnot... case in point:

statue-fathom-aspen-mattews-bikini-cs-moore-studio-p_3.jpg
statue-fathom-cs-moore-studio-aspen-matthews-p_3.jpg

inventing new uniforms? no, don't think its a great idea.

So Ive noticed that the comic versions of our favorite female heroes have been getting some costume makeovers lately in the more conservative direction (Batgirl, Captain Marvel, etc.).

It got me thinking & please don't get defensive about this ok? So Ive been collecting for only a short while, but its pretty obvious that the majority of the female super hero sculpts lean heavily on the T&A quotient. Ive been reading comics for a long time so Im aware of how female characters have been drawn for decades. My issue, which may be unique to me but i doubt it, is that I have kids and a fairly conservative wife. Id like to collect my favorite female PF's, but most are just too excessively sexy for me display without my wife being uncomfortable. Before you rail on my wife, she's very pretty and its not a confidence or insecurity thing, she's just a more modest person which I respect and love.

I understand most of you and possibly your significant others feel differently and thats ok, but I would like to see Sideshow approach some of these iconic characters with this new modest (and IMO more realistic) approach to costume design.

Anyways, I have a feeling I'm about to get destroyed here, but I hope it can be a respectful discussion on a topic thats been on my mind for awhile now. So with that, THOUGHTS?

Did you call Sideshow? You can speak to some of the Top people there if you really insist on speaking to someone in charge about any issue's you have with their products.
Here, I don't even think anyone from Sideshow really even looks at these Threads.

Oh man don't take it that way. It's just a topic of discussion. I love their products! I was simply expressing a thought. Im not expecting any action from Sideshow. They are a business & sex sells. I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get insecure when Captain America has a bigger chest and buttocks than me. To tell you the truth Captain America has a bigger chest and butt than most girls I know. :)

I don't have kids and my wife likes the T&A on my statues so I'm probably not the best person to chime in on this topic, but I'm going to anyway. I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way so I'll preface this with everyone has different tastes and sensibilities so not everyone will be happy with the collectibles produced by any company My point-of-view is that these characters have been around for a long time and most have had a few different outfits. However, each character does have their iconic costume that is instantly recognizable and considered the main look for the character--and yes, most of the time it's sexy. That's the representation of the character I want on my shelf--not whatever is the costume of the moment. If SS made a Batgirl PF with the new costume that's in the comics I would pass on it. The new costume they're making for Spider-Woman? Pass. Anyone remember this version of Vampirella?

No, because it was stupid and no one knew it was her. Pass.

I understand some of the female figures are overly-sexualized but that's because most of them aren't trying to attract 5-year olds to the comic book or statue hobby, mainly because they don't have any money--adults do and the majority of adults that spend money on this stuff want bewbs. Now, if SS decides to make a modern suit Batgirl AFTER producing the iconic costume PF, then fine (though I'd still be irritated that they wasted a PF spot on something like that when there are a lot of characters I'd rather see get their first statue).

:goodpost:

I agree with Zod, as many likely will. I don't think anyone is going to rail on your wife or anything...if she's not comfortable with it, well, she's just not. Unfortunately, that will mean you'll miss out on certain characters you may like. For instance, Poison Ivy is a beautifully sculpted PF that shows her sultry side because, well, that's the character. Sure she's got a tad more cleavage showing than may be needed, and her stomach is showing which could've been covered...but it fits the statue, character, and lets face it...helped sell an arguably lower tier rogue in the huge Batman gallery.

Sideshow-Collectibles-Poison-Ivy-Exclusive-Review-02.jpg

I'm sure that's one that wouldn't fit in your household, even if you were a fan of the character.

Are there particular statues you want that you know she'd be against? You didn't really give any examples and just kind of said female characters in general. I mean, Batgirl -- as mentioned above -- is a pretty spot on PF in terms of the character, and there's pretty much no T&A going on there. Is that too much?

preview_BatgirlPF2-1.jpg

Even Wonder Woman coming out has SOME T&A to a degree...is that too much? I'm actually asking, as I'm not sure which characters you'd want Sideshow to tone down on. Are there ones you have your eye on as a collector that aren't making the cut due to your inability to display them?

As mentioned before, Sideshow makes what sells to its customer base and T&A sells...for obvious reasons. That said, they didn't make a slutty Batgirl just to sell more because that's not how it works really. The Batgirl above will sell to Batgirl fans who would pass on something more seductive, as that's not really the character. I may be wrong here, but I'd say more often than not PFs are as strong a representation of the actual character as they can be, whereas PVC statues from Kotobukiya are more apt to put characters is a more seductive light.

But again, I guess we'd just need to hear some of the characters you'd like to go after that don't seem to be in the ballpark costume wise at the moment.

So..No one is going to destroy this guy???????????????
Ok, I will then:

Get outta here, man!! Just get the hell out! GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take your little Missus and go look at some Norman Rockwell galleries!!!
GET THE HELL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

^ Ha ha ha

Yeah it's not about destroying the OP. Comics are fantasy and wish fulfillment. It's not just 'T&A' myself and plenty of other people want to see attractive characters. Face it they are mostly made by males for males. Yeah blah blah girls read comics, play video games too, and more would be involved in their creation if not for being excluded by insensitive unrealistic pervy guys.

No.

I'd love to have a superhero physique and date chicks that look like comic girls. Their looks aren't just about telling the almighty story - it's about looking cool.
If people have image issues can't deal with not having dream muscles or looking like a supermodel well then that's their problem not the rest of the world's.

Believe it or not some people really are this attractive in real life though obviously it is unusual.
If someone wants a common reality well look around it's everywhere and it may be best to not pick up comics in the first place. Read books without fantasy pictures.

If someone has a problem with idealized representations of the human form they are not as confident as they may claim.

So..No one is going to destroy this guy???????????????
Ok, I will then:

Get outta here, man!! Just get the hell out! GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Take your little Missus and go look at some Norman Rockwell galleries!!!
GET THE HELL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Had to be a guy from Jersey.... :wink1: Its cool. I'll delete the thread. I knew what I was getting into when I posted. It's not about being prude or anti sexy women, it was simply an observation about women in comics in general. I'm in no way a PC femenazi apologist, I just find my views on women changing as I get older and have kids and a wife. It's not a slight on anyone here who loves some well sculpted booty, it was simply an observation & I thought that it would foster some interesting discussion. Much love to everyone who responded. You all are super passionate about your hobby & I think that's awesome.

Had to be a guy from Jersey.... :wink1: Its cool. I'll delete the thread. I knew what I was getting into when I posted. It's not about being prude or anti sexy women, it was simply an observation about women in comics in general. I'm in no way a PC femenazi apologist, I just find my views on women changing as I get older and have kids and a wife. It's not a slight on anyone here who loves some well sculpted booty, it was simply an observation & I thought that it would foster some interesting discussion. Much love to everyone who responded. You all are super passionate about your hobby & I think that's awesome.

lol, I think you missed the joke- you said when you opened that you were probably gonna get destroyed, J97e1 was just trying to accommodate :lol

all in good fun

Oh I know. But I think the point has been made very clearly by everyone. I'm the odd man out, so just deal. No harm, no foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back