Probability of getting import fees when shipping to Canada from Sideshow?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustPassing

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello,

I have looked for an answer to this. I'd like to know what the probability of getting import fees are when shipping to Canada from Sideshow, which is located in the US. Are there any Canadians with experience of buying from Sideshow? I ask because it's not worth buying the figurine if I have to pay the 15% taxes here (Québec) on top of up to 20% administrative fees and stuff.

I've also read that you have a greater chance of getting import fees if the mail carrier is FedEx as opposed to other carriers. Sideshow uses both FedEx and UPS and I hesitate to ask them to choose USP when sending me the package. But will that make a difference? If there's a chance I won't get import fees, I might risk it. But if someone has experience and tells me it's 100% sure I'll have to pay import fees, I'm going to cancel my pre-order.

The product has been shipped from China (Hong Kong?) to the US. I still have some time (a few weeks at most) to make my decision. But I absolutely have to do it soon.

Any canadians have experience? Thanks!:wink1:

At least in Chile, if you order from sideshow, it's certain that you will pay custom fees.

from my experience, using UPS and Fed Ex with buying anything. they charge you a handling fee for getting you package thru customs as well as collect the duties if any or taxes.

Hello,

I have looked for an answer to this. I'd like to know what the probability of getting import fees are when shipping to Canada from Sideshow, which is located in the US. Are there any Canadians with experience of buying from Sideshow? I ask because it's not worth buying the figurine if I have to pay the 15% taxes here (Québec) on top of up to 20% administrative fees and stuff.

I've also read that you have a greater chance of getting import fees if the mail carrier is FedEx as opposed to other carriers. Sideshow uses both FedEx and UPS and I hesitate to ask them to choose USP when sending me the package. But will that make a difference? If there's a chance I won't get import fees, I might risk it. But if someone has experience and tells me it's 100% sure I'll have to pay import fees, I'm going to cancel my pre-order.

The product has been shipped from China (Hong Kong?) to the US. I still have some time (a few weeks at most) to make my decision. But I absolutely have to do it soon.

Any canadians have experience? Thanks!:wink1:

I live in Montreal. I ordered sideshow's Plissken and on top of 30$ shipping. The figure was around 160$US/185$CAD

I had to pay taxes and Fed Ex Fees totalling 50$

Another example is the Batman Alfred Armoury, that thing was what, nearly 600$??! I had to pay nearly 120$ in taxes.

In my experience. Anything over 200$ you might get taxes by Canada post. FedEx is for sure you'll get processing fees and taxes :/

SS does not use USPS unfortunately.

I would not use UPS under any circumstance. They are the absolute worst in terms of additional fees.

FedEx is a better option. They will charge you a $10 brokerage fee, which you can avoid by signing up with them and letting SS know. You will then only be responsible for the taxes. You will not have to pay duty regardless of carrier, unless someone f'd up when completing the paperwork.

UPS is the worst when ordering from the US or elsewhere into Canada. I typically get charged a processing fee of around 15-20% of the value of the package, and this does not include the taxes the government wants.

FedEx charges a flat $10 for processing, like Canada Post, UPS charges a sliding scale based on value of package, so any high dollar item you will get screwed.

My Weta Balrog got hit with a 20% of the value of package processing fee on top of the HST.

UPS is the worst when ordering from the US or elsewhere into Canada. I typically get charged a processing fee of around 15-20% of the value of the package, and this does not include the taxes the government wants.

FedEx charges a flat $10 for processing, like Canada Post, UPS charges a sliding scale based on value of package, so any high dollar item you will get screwed.

My Weta Balrog got hit with a 20% of the value of package processing fee on top of the HST.

Man, that's sick. A 20% processing fee, that's close to the VAT what we have to pay for international orders here. Disgusting.

Hi there,

I just came across your post and almost everything that comes from Sideshow will have import or brokerage fees on it. I am located in Toronto and I am a dealer for the sideshow stuff. For anything exclusive order direct. Reg version stuff just buy from your local comic shop and save the hassle. If you order from Sideshow you will still have to the shipping and the brokerage fees and the Canadian taxes and you will be charged in US dollars and the credit card company will charge you an conversion rate. Just my opinion to buy locally if you can.

Good luck

Back