How much is too much for a single 1/6th figure?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your limit for a mass produced 1/6th scale figure?

• Total voters

batfan08

Super Freak
Reaction score
With the recently revealed Darth Vader, and his hefty $300 price tag, it seems like Hot Toys have outdone themselves, and, once again, brought about conversations that they'll, eventually, put themselves out of business. I'm curious, though, what the case is for individual collectors. What's your limit for a mass produced, basic 1/6th scale figure (your typical TrueType based character, rather than Hulk, Iron Monger, etc.)?

I wish I could say $300 is where it's stopping for a normal character 1/6 scale figure but it'll go higher. The Iron Man and Robocop die cast figures are hitting that mark already and the normal plastic IM armor and Predator figures are getting close. Hell, Bank Robber Joker is getting up there so it's just a matter of time. I just can't see myself paying $300 for Captain America or Han Solo. It'll be interesting to see if these figures cap out anytime soon. There will always be people willing to pay what SS is asking--just depends on if there's enough to make the price stay there.

Well, like I said, specialty figures like Iron Monger and Hulk were kind of exceptions. I pretty much just wanted to see what people's limits would be for your typical 12" Hot Toys figure.

Customs I expect to pay more. Some figures I'd expect to pay more for on the after-market (ie so-called grails). Die-cast figures as well - I paid $320 for the Tama 3PO.

But for a new 1/6 HT release in 2015... I voted $250 because I'm having a hard time justifying Vader.

To me it depends on the figure but when push comes to shove I'd probably go $300 TOPS. Would feel better if $250 was the high end for most companies on their more large scale/different items.

As long as I'm otherwise buying very little I'd probably pay what they're asking for a character that I want badly enough but certainly the high prices do and will continue to dissuade me from making purchases that were unplanned. Impulse buying is gone.

$300 is just ridiculous. $200 or more is also ridiculous, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and $300 is too much for a single figure, especially since no figure is really worth $200-$300, imo. So 300 is my limit.

like others have said..depends on the figure...something like a BR Joker hell no but a HT Chewie - I'd pay $300 no questions asked but then again I have a good job. If I were a broke college kid, I would choose a different hobby

for me its really depending on the complexity..for example hulkbuster my max price for it is 400$ and hulk should be 250$ since it come with little accesories.
but for single figure with decent accesories my max is 200$ example wolverine, Superman, batman, thor etx2.... eventhough sometime i still buying if the price more that that =DD

Should have started it at $500 - we have people paying upwards of a couple thousand for custom figures.

I think we're at the breaking point for me. $240 for a standard that I really, really want. I paid a little bit less than $300 for a couple of the metal Iron Man figures, but that was my absolute limit on those. Not paying $345 for Mark 43.

Depends more or less on the character, but I say $200 (I'll go slightly above) is my tops for a regular release figure and $300 would be tops for my top, top character choices like a P1 Predator with an amazing stand/base and a load of accessories or maybe a Sauron figure. I voted $300 for that reason alone, but I'm generally more down in the $200 range as the 2 mentioned are exceptions.

For me it was $300. That's what I paid for Big Chief's Tom Baker figure. Felt like a damn fool for paying that much and sold it.

I'm reluctant to say in case HT or SSC is reading this thinking I'm ok with paying that price. I think 1/6 is too much right now. I always try to get stuff with discounts or otherwise less than retail.... :p

Back