ThreeZero Game of Thrones Tyrion Lannister review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
The time between Christmas and New Year's is usually a pretty dead week for Internet traffic, and that means it's best not to put up any big reviews. But when Tyrion Lannister from ThreeZero showed up on my doorstep on Friday, I knew I wanted to get him covered as quickly as possible, holidays be damned.

I know there's been plenty of worries, and some turn out to be justified. But overall he's an excellent first release in the Game of Thrones series, and if ThreeZero learns a couple key lessons, Ned should be even better.

You can find the review here:

Tyrion Lannister Game of Thrones 1/6th scale figure - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy

or with the rest of the reviews:

Michael Crawford's Review of the Week - the number one source for action figure, toy and pop culture reviews!

Thanks for reading, and I hope your holiday season is going great!

Michael
MWC

Great review Michael, thanks :clap

What is throwing the likeness off for me is the eyes. They should be very slightly larger, and none of the pics I have seen capture his eye colour - they all make the eyes look dark and they are clearly not:

4db0781a-2e40-4ab4-bf56-dd0b091f0cd0.jpg

It's hard to see the eye color, since they are very hooded and you'll never get a natural shot that shines a bunch of light up in there. I don't think they should be any larger for this pissed expression, though.

Great review and pics, Crawford. Overall considering the price and my love for the franchise im pretty happy with Tyrion. Thise hands... they are the worst hands I've ever seen. They're are absolutely hideous. They need to fix those for future release. I was wondering about that under shirt being thick, its a bummer to hear it is but im not overly worried about it.

The hands are problematic, true, but I can deal with them. Tyrion always looked to me like he's got a brawler's hands anyway, so I'll just pretend he's been in a rough fight recently. Westeros ain't for sissies. The headsculpt is the big thing and for me it's perfect. I can see what Michael is saying about the tailoring of the clothes making him appear a bit smaller, but I can deal with that too, as they still look great on him--and for $120, how can I really complain? This figure is Hot Toys quality for half the price. We need companies like ThreeZero to let Hot Toys know that they don't own the entire market. I'm anxiously awaiting my delivery from BBTS.

Bring on Cersei and Dany!

Overall considering the price . . .

Thise hands... they are the worst hands I've ever seen. They're are absolutely hideous.

Things like this make you appreciate Hot Toys for not letting these little things slip.

Though I'd pay them an extra $10 if they'd have re-done the hands. . . Good looking figure, but I don't regret passing on it.

Well, Hot Toys does have their own maladies and for a whopping price too. But, I get what you're saying about paying extra for better hands.

I cancelled my order on this. I know manny say that the price is a bargain... But I still do not find it compelling. The hands are also a big issue for me. The likeness is there but it is not as good as it could be.

Hands looks awful, the rest is quite good. They can trimming seams from plastic mold but no..

The box apparently the best thing from this

I can easily overlook those crappy hands as the rest of it looks fantastic.

That is pretty much my feeling, I mean outside the seam lines if you read the first two books he spends almost all of them in dirty ass places even while he is the hand of the king. I would expect his hands to be that dirty given where he spends his time.

Though I also agree that maybe for $10-15 extra they could throw in an extra pair of clean hands or just extra hands and pins

I love him and can't wait for Ned, to me the price and face sculpt supercede any of the nitpicking overall

Great review though, fair and hits a lot of points I think people will have and hopefully ThreeZero reads it and takes some into account (like they did with the original reveal of Neds head sculpt and paint, redoing it to be far superior)

How can you guys overlook the hands! It's crutial. It's not like you can dig into your ht bin and bring out another set of hands for him there's nothing like them on the market as he's really the only dwarf ever created.

Those hands are as michael said best in his review, completely amature

The price argument is retarded also. It's a "bargain" to spend over one hundred bucks on this but I'm not willing to spend 150 if it meant getting all the things that are wrong with it right? So you have something that's still expensive but not done well? Yeah that makes sense.

Come on guys really...

Wow those hands are terrible; they look like they've been up Clegane's batty crease. Nice sculpt though I'll give them that.

I don't understand how they nailed the headsculpt, yet the hands looks like ****. He's a nobleman, yet his hands look like working hands.

How can you guys overlook the hands! It's crutial. It's not like you can dig into your ht bin and bring out another set of hands for him there's nothing like them on the market as he's really the only dwarf ever created.

Those hands are as michael said best in his review, completely amature

The price argument is retarded also. It's a "bargain" to spend over one hundred bucks on this but I'm not willing to spend 150 if it meant getting all the things that are wrong with it right? So you have something that's still expensive but not done well? Yeah that makes sense.

Come on guys really...

This is why I love Raymond's posts, usually right on with my own opinion. I've read all the GoT books and caught the first two seasons of the show, so I was casually interested in this one. Based on Michael's excellent-as-always pics, I agree that the head is great - but the hands are just plain disgusting. Normally, I could let that pass - I have a whole shoebox-sized tuperware container full of extra hands that I'd replace them with. But since he's unique, what the heck do you do?

The only way I'd consider picking it up, sadly, is if they did another Tyrion down the line with good hands that I could get parted out on the 'bay.

And while I agree with the price, as others have said, I'd gladly pay more money to get all the pieces I'd want rather than get this, honestly. BUT that said, it's a first release of it's type, so I'll wait for a couple more to pass complete judgement on the line as a whole.

Personally - and on a side note, too - I wouldn't have done Ned so early since his involvement on the show (while VERY important) was so short. I would've rather seen Dany, Cersei, Jamie, Arya, Jon, or Jeoffrey as the second release. But again, that might be personal opinion.

Agreed once again thecaptn!

Also selfishly I wanted to see Ned done later because I think his portrait is one of the more challenging ones and I'm hoping some of their kinks would have been worked out by then.

It should be said that the head did indeed turn out decent but still has its flaws. Some paint tweaking could help it a bit I think.

But there's no excuse for these hands and I'm not even sure what can be done here. Stripping them of the black wash might help a bit but it won't fix the wooden looking choppy bad detailing. Honestly I don't know what can be done aside from asking someone to straight out do a run of new sculpted hands.

Yeah, the more I look at the hands now, the more they're freaking me out. They look like they're made of clay.

There's no set of Hot Toys or Sideshow hands out there that could work with Tyrion?

It's too bad that some are so focused on a small element of the figure that you can't see how great the whole is. Hi-res pictures can be blown up and all the tiny flaws can be seen, but when he's on your shelf are you really going to notice the hands that much?

With much respect Dave, I do see your point and it's absolutely right that blowing up images can magnify flaws, but when the portrait is also blown up 5x and you can see that it's at least much closer to current standard in sculpting and refinement the hands have no excuse to be so poor. They should be at least close to the same quality.

I have sideshow hands from almost a decade ago that look more refined than those hands so yeah, it will definitely be noticeable on the shelf for me and Is pretty much a deal breaker. This is high end figure collecting for product over a hundred bucks in an age where even 60 dollar kits yield better results in sculpting, no room for omissions especially on an element that simply can't be upgraded from existing parts on the market.

Back