Are Hot Toys Diecast figs worth the extra $$$?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azurepred

It's so fluffy!!!
Reaction score
I don't own any,and there are too many threads to look in, but I was thinking about just getting one or two, but is the quality difference that much greater than the old plastic pieces?

I think so. After handling the MK42 die cast figure the MK7 feels like a cheap toy. I'm not sure I would upgrade the MK3 to the die cast version if I owned the older one already, probably not but if I had to choose between the plastic and die cast then the die cast wins.

No. I'm worried the metal ones are going to scrape their paint if I do any kind of serious posing with them. I'm careful with the plastic ones too, but it's amped up even further with the metal. I don't care about heft. They're going to stand on a shelf 99% of the time anyway.

No. I'm worried the metal ones are going to scrape their paint if I do any kind of serious posing with them. I'm careful with the plastic ones too, but it's amped up even further with the metal. I don't care about heft. They're going to stand on a shelf 99% of the time anyway.

have you seen that they scratch easily?

have you seen that they scratch easily?

I saw a post by someone who had scratches on their Mark 42. I'm not sure if it's an isolated thing or more widespread, but I know that paint doesn't normally bond to metal as well as it bonds to plastic, so I'm extra careful with my metal figures.

I only have Robocop... and I believe he was barely diecast; at least according to one of the early reviews. TBH, I can't really tell whats metal and what's not, but the figure looks great and is a significant improvement over the original regardless of how much diecast it has.

I just sold my mk7 so I could get the diecast mk3.....ever since I got the diecast war machine the plastic mk7 seemed cheap.....diecast is totally worth the extra money. Well, that's what I think anyway

I have a few of the Diecast figures and I believe that the added weight is psychologically making me think that 'hey this is heavier, must be worth more and be better quality.' But I typically pose a figure once, put it on display, and that's that. So diecast to me is really an unnecessary added cost--but the marketing worked on my because I bought into the hype machine that is Hot Toys. :slap

I bought my first IM figure, the Silver Centurion. I love posing him. I thought about a diecast figure but you can't use the flexible figure stand with them because they are too heavy, so it isn't for me.

No. I have the die cast bandai c3po it's awesome all metal and it cost me 300 bucks. I have the die cast Robocop, it's got like two peices of metal and the rest is plastic and it cost me 300 bucks.

You do the math. So to answer the question is it worth the extra money? Uh. No.

Doesn't mean it won't rust. HT metal isn't the highest quality stainless steel.

Have seen rust on HT's metal parts just by figures standing on their shelves.

Last edited:
Geez I wish people would think. Die-cast is a cheap metal and I guarantee you that these figures don't cost anywhere near 300$ to produce. Hot toys also makes their Iron Man figures with really garbage plastic. If they actually used decent plastic on their iron man figures they wouldn't feel as flimsy and cheap.

I don't own many...I have Mk 42, WM2 and Mk VII and imho I don't think the diecast adds too much more. I would prefer the less expensive plastic if I had a choice between to exact figures.
It's nice to feel the weight of diecast, but when all is said and done and they are on the shelf next to each other, it doesn't make that much a difference.

If the sculpt and articulation improves from plastic to diecast, then there could be some added value - we'll have to see when the Mk III comes out.

Geez I wish people would think. Die-cast is a cheap metal and I guarantee you that these figures don't cost anywhere near 300$ to produce. Hot toys also makes their Iron Man figures with really garbage plastic. If they actually used decent plastic on their iron man figures they wouldn't feel as flimsy and cheap.

How dare you suggest people to "think."

This is sideshowfreaks--there is very little intelligent life in these parts:rotfl

Depends. Die cast is cheaper than plastic to produce ( once the machines and dies have been purchased). Additionally, they use minimal diecast.

however, the diecast figures have a greater range of articulation, and are nicely designed.

as a whole package, they are pretty sweet. If perhaps a tad overpriced.

Back