Okay, I need a Gimli now ... need opinions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Well, Legolas will be on his way soon .. and it just doesn't seem right to pose Aragorn and Legolas without a Gimli. I have no doubt that SSC will make one... but I doubt it will be this year. My 2 choices are:

DiD 12" Gimli - can't find too many pics of this one ... and the only sellers on eBay are overseas. Anyone have a link to more pics or somewhere in North America to purchase? Anyone ever see one in person? Opinions.

Toybiz 12" Gimli - okay, I too never even considered this one ... I still shudder when I think of the Arwens and Gandalfs that used to litter KBtoys. However, this pic changed my mind a lot:

104-0733513-4287923

The cloth outfit and facial sculpt look great. I doubt the articulation is great, but I only need one good pose. Once again, anyone seen one of these in person? Opinions.

And please, let keep it down to opinions, not denouncements. I know they aren't perfect... but as a stand in til Sideshow gets on the ball, you know?

I think they will unveil their long-in-development "short boy" body with Gimli. He has the best costume and accessory possibilities compared to a hobbit or ewok.

I GOT Gimli, i must say its the best 12 inch figure from Toybiz the sculpture is awesome the clothe........... is good, i like it is the 12 inch figure of Toybiz that i appreciate more.

Edit: if you want it buy it or wait till SS make it

jlcmsu said:
I think TF or SDCC will bring Gimli.

That's definitely a possibility. However, with Sideshow's announcement to release ratio for LOTR ... that would still put Gimli releasing in early 2008. I am not looking for a replacement for a Sideshow Gimli. Just a placeholder til Sideshow releases him.

The Toybiz Gimli is actually not too shabby. It's inexpensive and the detailing is pretty good for a 1/6th "toy". I plan on displaying the "a man, an elf and a dwarf" together and the Toybiz Gimli will stand in until SS releases their version. I do think it's slightly underscaled, though, but it's not an obvious distraction.

(sorry for the crappy pic...)

aragorn9wc9.th.jpg

DouglasMcc said:
That's definitely a possibility. However, with Sideshow's announcement to release ratio for LOTR ... that would still put Gimli releasing in early 2008. I am not looking for a replacement for a Sideshow Gimli. Just a placeholder til Sideshow releases him.

I understand--I am actually thinking about getting a few placeholders for my Jabba display.

carbo-fation said:

Don't be hate'n on Wicket and the boys... you might just get a Gungan Commando set instead :rotfl

I personally like the ewoks. However, in all fairness, I am perfectly happy with my 3 Hasbro versions. Sure, they are hard plastic. But they fit in well with the Sideshow stuff. Think of them as cool accessories :cool:

Heck, I am already displaying Aragorn with the Toybiz Frodo and Samwise 12" scale rotocast figures released under the ROTK banner. The facial likenesses are perfect and the outfits and articulation are nice as well. Heck, its the best 7 bucks (for both) I ever spent ... ah, the Wal-Mart clearance of 2005 was truly a great time :lol

Crap. Now, I see a LOTR Toybiz 12" and a LOTR ROTK 12" Gimli. Was the ROTK version just a repack of the first one or a new figure? Damn, I hate ToyBiz and their love of the repack.

They repack, sometimes they made a new figure as in the case of Aragorn you can notice that the head is painted in another way, when i bought this figure 5 years ago i prefered to buy the first packs because sometimes Toybiz made variants as my Gandalf.

Toy-Biz Gimli is cheap and well-made. A fine choice of placeholder. Go ahead and pull the trigger if you can't wait on SSC's timetable. He's a fine toy.

Back