Gentle Giant Chewbacca/Darth Maul mini-busts review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
While I'm waiting for my Bib...

Ah, it's a new year already, and it's back to the grindstone. I was taking it pretty easy the last couple weeks, but I have a ton of new goodies to get rolling on, including upcoming reviews of the first Hasbro wave of Marvel Legends, the latest Now Playing wave, and lots of other cool stuff for 2007.

Let's start out with a review of two mini-busts from Gentle Giant - Darth Maul and Chewbacca. These latest releases might be the best yet, although that's certainly a debatable topic. They're definitely in the top five, and are great examples of GG at their best. You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Also, don't forget to put your votes in for best and worst of 2006. I'll be closing the ballot on Thursday night, at the same time I post my picks. Get ready to let me know I'm crazy!

Finally, it's mid week so that means a QSE review too. I covered the two variant Teal'C figures from the second series of Stargate this week - check it out! Thanks for reading,

Michael
MWC

Nice job Mike. When I got my Maul bust I looked for some spots I had noticed on others. Mine might be a bit off just under the eyes but overall looked good. Sorry you had that weird mark.

Nice review. The Seinfeld analogy is very accurate. I feel the same way about them. And Qui-Gon really does prove the point.

Even though I have both Chewy and Maul coming (and both look great), my love affair with GG is over. I would rather spend the money on Sideshow versions of characters than a mini-bust (hopefully we'll see them make Chewbacca). And I really have more than enough Stormies and Clones.

Great reviews... that Chewbacca is awesome looking. Even if Sideshow is unable to do *real* fur I think this level of sculpting could make up for it.

Michael Crawford said:
While I'm waiting for my Bib...

Ah, it's a new year already, and it's back to the grindstone. I was taking it pretty easy the last couple weeks, but I have a ton of new goodies to get rolling on, including upcoming reviews of the first Hasbro wave of Marvel Legends, the latest Now Playing wave, and lots of other cool stuff for 2007.

Let's start out with a review of two mini-busts from Gentle Giant - Darth Maul and Chewbacca. These latest releases might be the best yet, although that's certainly a debatable topic. They're definitely in the top five, and are great examples of GG at their best. You can find all the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Also, don't forget to put your votes in for best and worst of 2006. I'll be closing the ballot on Thursday night, at the same time I post my picks. Get ready to let me know I'm crazy!

Finally, it's mid week so that means a QSE review too. I covered the two variant Teal'C figures from the second series of Stargate this week - check it out! Thanks for reading,

Michael
MWC

Thanks for the review:D

The waiting is killing me! Mine still haven't shipped. I'm hoping they might go out by the end if this week and arrive by the end of next week. Gotta love combined shipping--it saves you money but makes you wait longer in return!!!

Chewbacca has a space reserved next to the Code 3 Falcon. Han is getting so lonely!

I am waiting anxiously for mine as well. Loved the review, I think Chewie will be my favorite of the two.

tomandshell said:
The waiting is killing me! Mine still haven't shipped. I'm hoping they might go out by the end if this week and arrive by the end of next week. Gotta love combined shipping--it saves you money but makes you wait longer in return!!!

Chewbacca has a space reserved next to the Code 3 Falcon. Han is getting so lonely!

Who did you order yours from Tom?

tomandshell said:

My chewie bust assumed his place beside the Code 3 Falcon a couple of weeks ago. Yes Tom, it's YOUR fault that I bought the Code 3 ships when they were higher in price :emperor

seriously, the mini busts do look SO good beside the Code 3 vehicles. I think you inspired many people to copy you.

tomandshell said:
I ordered mine from Razor's Ege but I had so much GG stuff coming that I asked Mike to hold them and ship them together to save me a few bucks on shipping.

I got ya. The only GG item I'm waiting on right now is the Vader animated.

Between the December and January releases, I have the Vader maquette, the Maul bust, the Chewie bust, the Royal Guard statue, the General Obi-Wan statue, the Plo Koon bust, and the Strider and Ringwraith busts from LOTR all coming.

:sick

Yikes!! From GG I just have Vader Maquette and the Strider and Ringwraith. From SS though John Wayne, Bib, etc.

Well, Chewie, Maul, and the Vader maquette are on their way to me now, with the Royal Guard soon to follow.

Looks like I need to put a few things from the closet on eBay, or the credit card is going to melt...

tomandshell said:
Well, Chewie, Maul, and the Vader maquette are on their way to me now, with the Royal Guard soon to follow.

Looks like I need to put a few things from the closet on eBay, or the credit card is going to melt...

Tom, I think you'll like the Royal Guard. I picked up my two that I pre-ordered months ago today. They look great. Chewie is fantastic as well. Now, I just sit and wait for a ROTJ Emperor statue from GG.

tomandshell said:
Some have said it won't happen because Attakus already did one. I hope they are wrong. Like you, I would really like one of those.

Well, Attakus has also made a Chewie, Royal Guard, Vader and pretty much any other statue GG has released so far, so I don't think an Emperor is too far fetched. He would go perfectly with the Royal Guards just released.

The Maul bust is awesome! Everyone should get one.

maulbust1.jpg

maulbust2.jpg

Back