Custom figure of the year....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shai

Super Freak
Reaction score
We all know we got some awesome and very talented customizers on the freak board...Mickey,Les, DA,Hunky Artist to name a few... I had this idea about this thread were members would post their favorite custom figure from those guys that has been made last year....

Heres mine...when Les post those pics of that figure,I was blown away...
And to think he did it with a generic figure..thats even more impressive..likeness is so good..

Alien 3 Ripley...

A3proj037.jpg

Now whats your favorite?

customizerwannabe said:
That Ripley is incredible. I'd love to see some casts offered from it!

I believe Les said it is just the head of an Art Buck female repainted. No resculpt or anything like that.

no asian customs? those were quite the figures... but If I were to choose from the customizers here, I would choose Hunkey Artist's aragon...

Altho I love Figure Master Les' Darth Vader and my Luke Skywalker I would have to say that my favorite Custom of 2006 was Sideshow Bob's Frank the Bunny. :rock

zombie15rz1.jpg

Hell.

If I knew I was being graded, I would have tried harder....:rolleyes:

My vote goes to Les's old-school Batman line. The Batman, Mr. Freeze, Joker, Bruce Wayne, even Alfred top my bill as the coolest customs seen on this board done by an active boardmember. Seperately they are just too cool. Together, they are an amazing achievement in style and execution.

That said, I'd be glad to lay down some categories:

1. Best Repaint

2. Best re-sculpt

3. Best Original Sculpt

4. Best costuming

5. Best displaying

6. Most Half-assed

7. Most Piontless

8. Most in Need of Mass Distribution

Any others? feel free to pick and choose and creat your own categories. This is all just for fun anyway.

I would say:

Best repaint : Dark Artist's Obi-wan

Best Custom : Ripley by Les

Customikey said:
Hell.

If I knew I was being graded, I would have tried harder....:rolleyes:

My vote goes to Les's old-school Batman line. The Batman, Mr. Freeze, Joker, Bruce Wayne, even Alfred top my bill as the coolest customs seen on this board done by an active boardmember. Seperately they are just too cool. Together, they are an amazing achievement in style and execution.

That said, I'd be glad to lay down some categories:

1. Best Repaint

2. Best re-sculpt

3. Best Original Sculpt

4. Best costuming

5. Best displaying

6. Most Half-assed

7. Most Piontless

8. Most in Need of Mass Distribution

Any others? feel free to pick and choose and creat your own categories. This is all just for fun anyway.
I love the idea but the categories tend to alienate the average kibash customizer who can't sculpt or paint like the pros. And does it mean that if I customize a figure that I had the head repainted on by someone else, that it does or does not qualify? Granted, I can't hold a candle to the likes of Les or Mikey or DA, but, hell.... I'd like to think there's still hope. :monkey3

TOE said:
I would say:

Best repaint : Dark Artist's Obi-wan

Which Obi? He's done standard repaints but after having my Episode 3.5 Gray Ewan Ben that's my favorite and IMO Best Repaint...

Ironman1188 said:
I love the idea but the categories tend to alienate the average kibash customizer who can't sculpt or paint like the pros. And does it mean that if I customize a figure that I had the head repainted on by someone else, that it does or does not qualify? Granted, I can't hold a candle to the likes of Les or Mikey or DA, but, hell.... I'd like to think there's still hope. :monkey3

Don't sell yourself short! You have done some excellent customs as well! :D

pixletwin said:
I believe Les said it is just the head of an Art Buck female repainted. No resculpt or anything like that.
I always had strong suspicions that it looked like Weaver. I was going to try sculpting her and decided not to because Hot Toys' Ripley looks close enough.

Anyone of these or these

Just mind blowing stuff.

But if we're sticking to just the customizers on this board, then I go with Les's anakin and DA's sith anakin.

From memory (and I don't pay too close attention to all the custom attempts), I would say that Hunky A's Aragorn is tops in my book.

:clap :clap

Wow guys! Thanks for all the Obi-Wan and Anakin love... makes me feel good about my efforts!

As for my favorite repaint of the year (not my own) it would have to be that Les Obi-Wan with the eyes that were ALIVE!!

And favorite custom would have to be Ripley as well.... Les really made that Art Buck into something wonderful, and all with minimal effort. Genius!! Genius I tell ya!! :bow

This is a good thread. Kudos to Les, DA, Mikey, hunky and all the other talented guys here. I must say, that DA has done some of the most impressive Anakin and Obi repaints. Les, he takes the cake with his Ripley. My gosh, that is so amazing it's almost scary. And all his Aliens, too... :monkey5

LOTRFan said:
From memory (and I don't pay too close attention to all the custom attempts), I would say that Hunky A's Aragorn is tops in my book.

:clap :clap

Yeah, I also have to agree with you on Hunky's Aragorn... awesome work and his best to date. I loved how it turned out....

And thanks TF... I'm very proud of my Jedi Heroes!

Mortar Conn said:
Don't forget some of Hurricane's Star Wars gems. Maybe someone can post some of his examples ...

:chew how can i forget. Also, those by QQB's lightsabers :chew

This is hard!
I love so many of the other guy's customs here...

TO ME...I must list that EpIII Vader by Hurricane with the lit lightsaber.
Hurc makes the BEST Star Wars customs ever to me, so since Darth Vader is my all-time favorite movie character, I have to mention them first and foremost.

Thanks to you guys about my Alien 3 Ripley. I promise to post whole body shots of her with all details soon. I did make her a Weyland-Yutani shirt set too! And yes, she's just a repainted Art Buck. Trimmed lower lip. That's it. Paint.
Again, Thanks.

To all my fellow craftsfolk, BRAVO! You guys inspire me every day. EVERY day. All of you. Even the Asians! :lol (Like Asians are somehow not worthy of this list...wow...they are only the BEST customizers on Earth! My work pales in their shadows...)

Good thread Shai.

Back