Asmus LOTR Gandalf the White figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It seems like it's been months since the Asmus LOTR Gandalf the White started shipping internationally, and finally the States started getting theirs this last week. I have my review of old squish head here:

Gandalf the White Lord of the Rings 1/6th action figure - Another Pop Culture Collectible Review by Michael Crawford, Captain Toy

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

Michael Crawford's Review of the Week - the number one source for action figure, toy and pop culture reviews!

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

Unfortunate you got a floppy body on top of everything else. Like you said, if the head if off -- as a result of poor casting -- and the body doesn't hold a pose, the score should definately suffer.

I still feel I can solve part of the head issue (lowering it) and my body seems to have stiff joints so far -- so my satisfaction with this figure is likely closer to 3 stars.

Yep, without the body issues - including the wonky neck - I would have been much happier as well. While the head is off, it's not as bad as I'd feared.

Nice review, too bad there is not a way to stuff something inside the head to make it round out a little. At least Asmus is keeping the cost of their figures in check.

I hope the Mouth of Sauron is not far behind!

It's interesting to compare MC's reviews for the Asmus LOTR line with his reviews of the original 12" LOTR line from Toybiz. Boy, a lot has changed in over 12 years... quality AND expectations.

Here's the link:
Michael Crawford's Review of the Week

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question, but which do you prefer, the Asmus or Sideshow Gandalf?

In all honesty, comparing pictures from both your reviews, I actually prefer the Sideshow version. Especially with a repaint it could beat the Asmus one I think.

Hope you don't mind me giving my opinion. Side by side pics there is no comparison if you ask me.

asm-gandalf-head3.jpg

When I got my GTG years back I thought it was awesome. Next to the Asmus one though it looks dated. Even with the head sculpt being a little narrow of the Asmus one it is still an awesome sculpt. Look at the pics that Wor-Gar took in the GTW thread. Can you honestly say it doesn't look good?

ETA These are not my pics by the way, got them off Google.

Last edited:
I gotta give the edge to the SS GTG. I just think from top to bottom its still a better piece.

At least I can admit it unlike some others. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

Thing is I've never been one. At least not in that sense. I cheer them on because I like them as a company but I don't feel nor ever have that they're perfect. As far as Middle-earth stuff that is where my allegiance lies. I want good high quality products for this license. The Asmus GTW is a decent piece but I think it has several issues, which keep it from being a top notch Middle-earth piece.

I have GTG at home handy too, so I'll be eager to see them both together this weekend.

My gut tells me that Gandalf/Gray will look toyish as I did not do a repaint on him. I honestly never liked the spiky beard, nor that brown braided sash of his that looks like a ToyBiz piece. I love the look of the Gray -- with the hat and all -- but even with its faults, the Asmus one does look more in keeping with today's expectations of 1/6th realism.

Gray's bobblehead and lanky arms kind of negate White's narrow head and lanky neck.

Thing is I've never been one. At least not in that sense. I cheer them on because I like them as a company but I don't feel nor ever have that they're perfect. As far as Middle-earth stuff that is where my allegiance lies. I want good high quality products for this license. The Asmus GTW is a decent piece but I think it has several issues, which keep it from being a top notch Middle-earth piece.
You don't feel that you are a SS cheerleader? Really? That's kind of a running joke on this forum isn't it. I'm a cheerleader in the sense that I want to see the line succeed. When Asmus has done some less than stellar things with this line I have mentioned it. I have been critical of several things they have done. Looking at the two pics side to side with no bias it is plain to me which one looks more realistic. You say it's the SS one? That is your prerogative.

You don't feel that you are a SS cheerleader? Really? That's kind of a running joke on this forum isn't it. I'm a cheerleader in the sense that I want to see the line succeed. When Asmus has done some less than stellar things with this line I have mentioned it. I have been critical of several things they have done. Looking at the two pics side to side with no bias it is plain to me which one looks more realistic. You say it's the SS one? That is your prerogative.

I don't. I don't feel SS is perfect nor are many of the pieces they've done. I've said as much many times and SS knows my unhappiness on certain issues. It is. People are of course entitled to feel that way but they're also wrong. I want this line to succeed. I just want it to be done at a high level. I said from top to bottom the SS one looks like the better overall piece.

We're comparing a figure that cost $80 6 years ago to a figure that's brand new and $160? I know inflation is mean, but most things that cost X in 2008 don't cost 2X now.

But let's pretend they are equal in value - the outfit and accessories are winners for Asmus. Paint work is also better. The underlying body sucks on both. But what you really want to know is the portrait, and neither is really outdoing the other. I think the SS, with a proper modern paint job, can look great. The Asmus has a proper paint job, and is alright, but not special. While neither of them are good enough, I will say this - that SS Gandalf was very nice IN IT'S TIME. It was a stand out that year, and even took third place in the Poppies. The Asmus Gandalf won't be a stand out this year, in comparison to the rest of the market. Take from that what you will.

As MC stated, expectations change when you increase the price.

I have to say that I feel the naked head sculpt of SS Gandalf (without paint) is better than the Asmus head sculpt. I wish there was some way to compare both naked sculpts.

021708prodblog02.jpg

No Gandalf is going to look right with sculpted hair and beard.

That said, Crawford said it best when he noted that SS was a stellar figure in its day, while this Asmus one is not (relative to the times). Nuff said in direct comparison. But which looks better today is really a personal choice.

Back