Media PlayStation TV What all can you do with it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's basically a Vita, however not all Vita games are supported since it can't replicate all the possible controls (touch screen, touch pad, etc.)
Besides that there's various apps, so you can kind of consider it like an Amazon FireTV and that type of thing. For me what's nice about it is that you can do PS4 remote play, so if you want to play your PS4 in another location of the house without moving your PS4 console then you can get one of these to do that.

1) It lets you watch streaming video from the usual sources (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)

2) It lets you play most PS Vita and PSP games using a Dual Shock 3 controller. It'll also support the Playstation Now service when that becomes available, which lets you play streaming PS3 games if you sign up for a subscription. Whether the tech is good enough to avoid lag remains to be seen.

3) The Remote Play feature lets you use your PS4 on a different TV.

It seems like a really good deal considering that you're basically getting a streaming device and a game console for the same price as the Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV. If nothing else, it's a cheaper way of playing Vita games rather than buying the handheld device.

1) It lets you watch streaming video from the usual sources (Netflix, Hulu, etc.)

2) It lets you play most PS Vita and PSP games using a Dual Shock 3 controller. It'll also support the Playstation Now service when that becomes available, which lets you play streaming PS3 games if you sign up for a subscription. Whether the tech is good enough to avoid lag remains to be seen.

3) The Remote Play feature lets you use your PS4 on a different TV.

It seems like a really good deal considering that you're basically getting a streaming device and a game console for the same price as the Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV. If nothing else, it's a cheaper way of playing Vita games rather than buying the handheld device.

That does sound pretty good. I may have to get this. Mostly for the remote play feature. Thanks for the info.

I would pretty much get it to put in the bedroom for that TV. So I can use as a media device, watch movies from a USB stick (if it supports that), and to stream my PS4 games to it.

I know it can stream PS3 and PS4 games from your own consoles, but I'm not sure it could do it with the HD video and surround sound intact. If it could, that would be an instant buy for me since I'd love the idea of playing my console game downstairs where I don't have any consoles connected.

Playstation TV! Finally something even dysfunctional families could agree together!

I'm looking forward to trying one of these out. I hope that someone finds a way to hack it to stream from local media off of my NAS. If I can get it to do this on top of all of the other features I'll buy 2 (one for the game room and one for the bedroom) and leave the PS4 connected in the living room.

This is basically Sony's AppleTV. Im curious if you could just connect a Vita to a tv and get the same functionality

This is basically Sony's AppleTV. Im curious if you could just connect a Vita to a tv and get the same functionality

For the most part, yeah. The Playstation TV is running a modified version of the Vita OS, has the same processing hardware and such. The main difference though is that the Vita is more expensive and the controls are terrible for playing PS4 games.
This should be a good solution for people who want another media streaming box and would like the ability to play their PS4 in another room.

Back