What material are Hot Toys and similiar figures made of? Smells funny!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A2G

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I have dust proofed 2 of my IKEA detolf cabinets where I display my Hot Toys figures. However when I open the doors there is always a strong odor that fills the room, unlike my statues. I was wondering if maybe I should keep the doors open at night or just remove the dust proof seals. Mostly concerned about the kids playing in the room and inhaling the odor.

Any suggestions from anyone who knows about these things would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

They don't release much info on materials used, likely pvc, plastic, rubber, diecast and various fabrics and a multitude of paints, its likely the paint that off gases the most producing the strong odors, being as these are made in china I wouldn't be surprised if there paint contains lead. I suppose you could E-mail them to find out if there is anything harmful but not sure if they would incriminate themselves if they do use anything questionable:dunno

If they included an MSDS with every figure they'd never be allowed to be imported into the EU and North America. ;)

I'd say they smell strong due to the mixed media. I remember getting the DX09 fresh off the factory and the smell lingered in my room for days. :lol

Almost everything we buy new in packages off -gases, furniture etc....but hot toys are like the skunk of off-gasing lol

What do you use to dust proof them?
I love the new toy smell. I wish they smelled like that forever.

I use foam tapes around all the edges where-ever there are gaps

Tesa_Black_Foam_Tape.jpg

They don't release much info on materials used, likely pvc, plastic, rubber, diecast and various fabrics and a multitude of paints, its likely the paint that off gases the most producing the strong odors, being as these are made in china I wouldn't be surprised if there paint contains lead. I suppose you could E-mail them to find out if there is anything harmful but not sure if they would incriminate themselves if they do use anything questionable:dunno

Yep one cant find any info on the materials used. Some toxicity is expected, but this strong smell concerns me. Time to close off the collection room from the kids and keep the windows open! Better safe than sorry!

PVC. Not the healthiest thing to breathe, but Hot Toys figures don't really smell much unless you go looking for a scent. NECA figures, on the other hand, reek.

Solvents in the paints are what smell the most in my experience with hot toys and sideshow figs. At least I assume it's the paints. Unless they give the whole figure a solvent spray before packing. ;)

Solvents in the paints are what smell the most in my experience with hot toys and sideshow figs. At least I assume it's the paints. Unless they give the whole figure a solvent spray before packing. ;)

I doubt they spray before packing, with all these ironman problems with pink panties lol

Yep one cant find any info on the materials used. Some toxicity is expected, but this strong smell concerns me. Time to close off the collection room from the kids and keep the windows open! Better safe than sorry!

:exactly:

PVC. Not the healthiest thing to breathe, but Hot Toys figures don't really smell much unless you go looking for a scent. NECA figures, on the other hand, reek.

Ever smelled the Hulk after a month of closed shelf door? :thud:

... Okay now that sounds weird. :lol

It's the plastics. Same reason you get a "new car smell". And no, it's not good for you.

It's the plastics. Same reason you get a "new car smell". And no, it's not good for you.

:exactly::goodpost:

There is no lead in the paint, it would be illegal to import the figures to the UK, if there was.

:exactly::goodpost:

There is no lead in the paint, it would be illegal to import the figures to the UK, if there was.

Lead is only bad if played with and ingested right. I am more worried about how to get rid of the smell! Any suggestions?

I am more worried about how to get rid of the smell! Any suggestions?

Air the pieces out and ventilate the room. YMMV, but the smell on mine hasn't lasted very long when the figures have been displayed for a while.

Back