Storm Shadow scarred me for life

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khev

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I was about 10 years old, had a bunch of GI Joes, but the great white ninja eluded me. Finally he turned up at a local grocery store. I had enough money, purchased him and counted the seconds until I got home and could face him against Snake-Eyes, Roadblock, and the rest of the Joes.

I sat at my dining room table, opened up the package and began attaching all of Storm Shadow's cool accessories. His quiver, his swords in the quiver, everything. Then I thought it would be cool to see him holding his bow. It was a tight fit squeezing into his hand but it looked so cool!

Okay enough of that let's see him holding a sword. Just need to get the bow out of his hand first. Hmm, not coming right out, let's pull a little harder, but carefully, just a little--SNAP, NOOOOOOO!!!!!! The bow "string" was split in two.

I hadn't even played with him for five minutes. So I sat there like a baby and cried for however long until I got over it and just pretended that the bow was still intact whenever he'd use it in the future.

But even now, when I open a SS figure and start monkeying with the accessories (or most recently trying to re-attach Darth Maul's gloves), I get a little bit of a knot in my stomach and have flashbacks of Cobra's white clad ninja.

I had an 8 x 12 room in our basement all to myself as a kid for all my toys.

And by the end all I had was G.I. Joes.

Most of which ended up with at least one thumb broken off.

That is part of the whole playing with toys. But I know my bow on either Storm Shadow I had never broke. I am 30, so the last Storm Shadow I had was the one with the white and grey camp with the sweatshirt hood.

But I had one of the small screw drivers, so made a few "costume changes" for a few of them, most notably Quick-Kick.

Mithrandier said:
I had an 8 x 12 room in our basement all to myself as a kid for all my toys.

And by the end all I had was G.I. Joes.

Most of which ended up with at least one thumb broken off.

That is part of the whole playing with toys. But I know my bow on either Storm Shadow I had never broke. I am 30, so the last Storm Shadow I had was the one with the white and grey camp with the sweatshirt hood.

But I had one of the small screw drivers, so made a few "costume changes" for a few of them, most notably Quick-Kick.
Yeah that was the biggest problem, those thumbs breaking off, no way of fixing that problem.

The other major problem was the backpack pegs, since some packs would keep falling off you had to push them a ways in. Then they almost always broke off deep in the figures back so you were left with a Joe that couldn't wear a backpack and a useless pack.
And that White and gray Storm Shadow is the last original Joe I still own. He was one of my favorite since he had that Wolverine claw. I bought two just so I cold bash together a Wolverine (using the old screwdriver to the back trick).

my storm shadow's thumb broke off putting his sword in his hand...so see it could have been worse.

I got Lego and Playmobile as a kid, and those only broke if you threw them at things, which we did. You know, like having a contest to build a really strong car and then rolling them at each others to see which one would survive?

Although some of the figures did break, but that wasn't really sad. But I am careful with my Sideshow figures, especially since sometimes you have to bend part of the hand to fit stuff into them since you can't easily put the lightsaber in on some of them.

darthviper107 said:
I got Lego and Playmobile as a kid, and those only broke if you threw them at things, which we did. You know, like having a contest to build a really strong car and then rolling them at each others to see which one would survive?

Although some of the figures did break, but that wasn't really sad. But I am careful with my Sideshow figures, especially since sometimes you have to bend part of the hand to fit stuff into them since you can't easily put the lightsaber in on some of them.

i know what you mean. i am real careful when i take my Star Wars PF's clothes off to wash them. they get sweaty when they fight.:D

King Darkness said:
:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

I hated that!!! Really, I did, that spelled instant doom for my Joes.

Yeah, or the Broken thumbs.... It was death to the Joes... Crotch and thumb issues...

Told those guys to stop "handling" themselves so roughly... :lol

DarkArtist81 said:
Yeah, or the Broken thumbs.... It was death to the Joes... Crotch and thumb issues...

Told those guys to stop "handling" themselves so roughly... :lol

truer words have never been spoken.

Check this.

It took me forever to score a Zartan figure, and I had it for a week before the dog got into my room and zeroed in on one toy amongst all the other crap I had out. I kept the sad chewed up remains in a little box that I made into a casket for the next four years.

By the way, even all chewed to hell, Zartan STILL changes color in sunlight!!

zartan and his crew rocked!

however as we all know now the downfall of cobra(and the Empire in SW for that matter) was they couldn't hit the wide-side of a barn. pity.

A friend of mine had the Skystriker and we took turns throwing Joes up into the air and watching them come down with the parachute. Then one time the chute didn't open and we found that the result was *much* more exciting. I somehow convinced him that we should just keep playing the parachute game (sans the actual parachute) with his Flash figure.

We made death screams as he plummeted from the heights after each throw until he was nothing more than a horribly scarred upper torso on the pavement. So much fun. We never played that game with any of my figures though.

Khev said:
A friend of mine had the Skystriker and we took turns throwing Joes up into the air and watching them come down with the parachute. Then one time the chute didn't open and we found that the result was *much* more exciting. I somehow convinced him that we should just keep playing the parachute game (sans the actual parachute) with his Flash figure.

We made death screams as he plummeted from the heights after each throw until he was nothing more than a horribly scarred upper torso on the pavement. So much fun. We never played that game with any of my figures though.

this said friend was probably a good one to trade baseball cards with too wasn't he? i had one of those friends too. i did good getting his Wade Boggs rookie card for a wally joyner card.

Back