What are the best Marvel graphic novels?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiki22

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
What are the best Marvel graphic novels?
I stopped reading comic books about 10-15 years ago. I have recently been interested in getting back into the world of superheroes. Storylines such as Civil War and the House of M sound very interesting to me. Does anyone have suggestions on good graphic novels that have those type of storylines?
jw8chwq

The Ultimates Vol. 1 by Mark Millar & Bryan Hitch

This series pulled me back into comics and made me the Avengers fan I am today. Very influential on the films as well.

I do it all the time but by far & away my favourite Marvel GN's of all time are the Annihilation series.
It's cosmic Marvel & easily some of the best.

Neil

I really enjoyed the "Superior Spiderman" run. It's only 31 issues but a great twist in the Spidey mythology.

Not strictly Marvel or superheroes, but American Vampire by Vertigo is a pretty decent read as well.

Age of Apoc series. I stopped reading x-men after that for about 10 years. Have to agree with some of the above comments. Ultimates and Annihilation series brought me back to marvel

Some of my favorite runs of the last 10-15 years:

Thor by Straczynski/Coipel
Daredevil by Bendis/Maleev
Punisher by Ennis/Dillon
Runaways by Vaughan/Alphona
Astonishing X-Men by Whedon/Cassaday
Planet Hulk
Ultimate Spider-Man

I haven't read Annihilation, Brubaker's Cap, or Waid's Daredevil but I just got an annual subscription to Marvel Unlimited so those on on my to do list. I've actually started reading some pre-Annihilation stuff using this Marvel Cosmic Reading Order guide: https://www.comicbookherald.com/marvel-cosmic-reading-order/

Last edited:
Some of my favorite runs of the last 10-15 years:

Thor by Straczynski/Coipel
Daredevil by Bendis/Maleev
Punisher by Ennis/Dillon
Runaways by Vaughan/Alphona
Astonishing X-Men by Whedon/Cassaday
Planet Hulk
Ultimate Spider-Man

I haven't read Annihilation, Brubaker's Cap, or Waid's Daredevil but I just got an annual subscription to Marvel Unlimited so those on on my to do list. I've actually started reading some pre-Annihilation stuff using this Marvel Cosmic Reading Order guide: https://www.comicbookherald.com/marvel-cosmic-reading-order/
Planet Hulk was great, as was most of the Punisher max series

If you're looking for a cool book that's not heavy on continuity, "Marvels" is a fun one. It's basically Alex Ross and Mark Waid looking at the beginning of the Marvel Universe from the POV of a veteran journalist.

The very best Marvel stuff is older stuff you will pick up through their "Marvel Masterworks" series IMO, which are high quality, color reproductions of classic comic runs. Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Avengers, Lee/Ditko and Lee/Romita Spider-Man, Claremont/Byrne X-Men, Steranko's Nick Fury, John Byrne's Fantastic Four for example.

The very best Marvel stuff is older stuff you will pick up through their "Marvel Masterworks" series IMO, which are high quality, color reproductions of classic comic runs. Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four, X-Men, and Avengers, Lee/Ditko and Lee/Romita Spider-Man, Claremont/Byrne X-Men, Steranko's Nick Fury, John Byrne's Fantastic Four for example.

I believe there are several Omnibi for those Lee and Kirby runs on FF, X-Men, and Avengers, as well.

I have the huge uncanny x men omnibus but I don't really like massive books like that asa they're not really practical to read. But I thought there was a lot missing from the other collections like marvel masterworks. What's the best thing to go for if I want to get the old Chris Claremont stuff from the start? I remember looking at the masterworks books but seemed as though they suddenly stopped quite early on.

There are eight volumes of the Lee/Kirby X-Men team in the Masterworks series, running from issue #1-66, with the last two volumes covering X-Men appearances in other titles at the time (including Hulk #181).

Len Wein debuted the new team in Giant Sized X-Men #1 in 1975, and Claremont's run began in Uncanny X-Men #94. There are eight (soon to be nine) Masterworks volumes cover issues #94-175. Dave Cockrum did the pencils until #107, and John Byrne took over for #108-143. Cockrum returns as main artist for #145-164. (John Romita Jr. takes over for #175-211, but Masterworks has yet to get that far).

Giant Sized #1, annuals #3-7, and associated issues from other titles are included as well.

Claremont was involved for years after that, though I'm not sure if he stayed on consistently. He was writing when the new series w Lee started up in 91ish.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back