1:6 Darth Vader 3D Laser Scan & Print Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Too Much Garlic

Super Freak
Reaction score
Been working on this project for the last several years. Basically, the sole point of the project was to get an accurate sixth scale representation of Darth Vader, but I was always let down by the licensed products and even though there are several awesome custom works out there, they still wasn't quite there - something you simply cannot get by using found parts, or even by sculpting the hard parts yourself. So, I took an alternative route and got permission from a few owners of high end Vader props to 3D laser scan, scale and print their items for my own personal project. Parts such as the chest and belt boxes, lightsabers, grills and tusks I had modelers create for me as 3D models and printed with the rest.

It's come a long way and I'll soon be sculpting the soft parts and thereby finish the two statues I always wanted - the A New Hope & The Empire Strikes Back versions. It was a lot of hard work, but it is getting there. If anyone has been to TheClubhouse, you may have seen the project already.

Hope I'll have more to show off soon.
ANHvsESB-002_zpstxovydge.jpg

A few detail pictures. Nothing fancy.
Print-02-Casting-001_zpsxttujw66.jpg

Print-03-Casting-007_zpsdhyip3rv.jpg

Print-03-Casting-009_zpsaakyoa7f.jpg

And here's the real money shot. Sixth scale tusks:
Print-03-Casting-010_zpsvjsmdelk.jpg

Also sculpted some cods based on reference from the movies.
Cods-018_zpsycvrfvpz.jpg

A money shot of helmet and armor on a printed torso.
DaveProwse-BodyPrint-009_zpsahhe2bbw.jpg
DaveProwse-BodyPrint-010_zpswz8qking.jpg

A test of some of the hard parts on the body I've had printed that I modeled in MakeHuman with Dave Prowse's measurements (the actor who portrayed Vader in the movies)
DaveProwse-Body-001_zpsdssmsstk.jpg

The cool thing is that it is to scale with the old Kaiyodo vinyl model kit, but is likely not to scale with the Sideshow figures.
Star-Wars-05_zpsovos8d1c.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 1:6 Darth Vader Project

Nice start but to be brutally honest, the Sideshow version seems more accurate

Maybe he feels this is more accurate and rather buy a mass produced figure he wanted to make his own, I'm no Vader expert so I can't weigh in on which looks more accurate but awesome job and dedication, looking forward to seeing the end result! Nice job!

I am actually not satisfied 100% with the Sideshow version, especially the helmet/dome. This looks more accurate and I would be interested if you are planning on selling. :vader

why vader got unbalance face?

only RotS Vader has a symmetrical face.

Pretty incredible work here. The exactness of the differences in belt boxes and chest box between ANH and ESB is awesome. And that picture with the Stormtrooper shows a lot of promise.

There's plenty wrong with the Sideshow Vader. Most people won't notice (or won't want to notice) until Hot Toys gets their chance to show off.

Because that's how the original helmet looks. I did this for a symmetry project, but it shows the asymmetry of the Vader face mask.

vadernhmall.jpg

i have nver noticed that,
this's a truly detailing work.great++ :clap

It's not a perfect comparison, as the angles of the photographs are different - mine being taken from a higher up position, thus making Vader look down a bit more and showing more of the front facing surface of the chest armor as it is in the ANH position (because it is sitting on the ANH statue body) instead of ESB where it is pulled up towards the neck more and pushed out at the base due to Prowse being a little more pumped for ESB. + the reference picture is of the ESB stunt helmet and not one of the hero helmets - you can see this by the transparent cheeks and neck.

Qk9qSv8.jpg

Pretty incredible work here. The exactness of the differences in belt boxes and chest box between ANH and ESB is awesome. And that picture with the Stormtrooper shows a lot of promise.

There's plenty wrong with the Sideshow Vader. Most people won't notice (or won't want to notice) until Hot Toys gets their chance to show off.

Or care.

I'm going for the hands on belt pose for the two statues. Something similar to this:
ANHvsESB-002_zpstxovydge.jpg

And here are a few earlier WIP shots of the ESB helmet. Still needed some filling and sanding and filing at that point, but that's all done after the pictures were taken.
Print-06-Casting-015-7_zpschvye1ob.jpg

Print-06-Casting-015-6_zpsclke4juh.jpg

Print-06-Casting-015-5_zps11mjlmv5.jpg

Print-06-Casting-015-4_zpsrxrfkrsw.jpg

Print-06-Casting-015-3_zpsoebswavn.jpg

Print-06-Casting-015-2_zpss3vfhg63.jpg

Print-06-Casting-015-1_zpsnjeotj6k.jpg

Last edited:

Awesome Updates man, that ESB vader helmet looks amazing!! -subscribe thread..

There will be 2 statues available later, but the basic armor kits are in the process of being made available now. I cannot advertize here, but there are threads about this on the forum linked in the pictures, as well as on TheClubhouse1.net forum. Sorry if it is against the rules to mention this, but then please let me know and I'll remove the information.

Back