Ebola scaring anyone?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who's afraid?

• Yes

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 65 68.4%
  • Whatever

Votes: 12 12.6%

• Total voters
I'm more scared of uneducated morons that spread conspiracy theories about aid workers that lead to violence against them and ignoring their advice. This virus would have a very hard time spreading in an area of the world that doesn't still believe in witchcraft and where people follow healthcare workers instructions. It's not airborne and requires direct contact with bodily fluids.

it's a very scary virus, but there is a reason we only hear about major outbreaks in Africa. No offense to the continent, but even small tribes need to be educated in some manner.

I'm more scared of uneducated morons that spread conspiracy theories about aid workers that lead to violence against them and ignoring their advice. This virus would have a very hard time spreading in an area of the world that doesn't still believe in witchcraft and where people follow healthcare workers instructions. It's not airborne and requires direct contact with bodily fluids.

I don't think your in any position to bash someone else's belief systems.

it's a very scary virus, but there is a reason we only hear about major outbreaks in Africa. No offense to the continent, but even small tribes need to be educated in some manner.

I don't think your in any position to bash someone else's belief systems.

I can't talk to Vetboy's belief system, but this point is well made though. Witchdoctors are a scourge in Africa that do their fair share of f **king up the continent.

pre_war_africa.jpg

This has more do to with problems in Africa the just witch doctors...

Lejuan - thanks for that. I'm glad someone else has some idea about the harm they cause.

Azurepred - You need to understand that in certain areas of africa, women are still killed when a sickness spreads because it must have come from a curse from a witch. These same people have convinced some of the population that Ebola does not exist and the sickness is actually the fault of the healthcare workers that are just trying to help, putting themselves at great risk by the way. Some have gone so far as to attack doctors and nurses that are trying to treat the sick. If they believe that ebola is not real, then they don't follow instructions regarding the avoiding of body fluids etc when burying the dead and the disease continues to spread. There are still some that promote a belief that AIDS can be cured by having sex with a virgin, if you can imagine that. I'd say those are exactly the sort of belief systems that should be "bashed". Don't you?

I can't talk to Vetboy's belief system, but this point is well made though. Witchdoctors are a scourge in Africa that do their fair share of f **king up the continent.

Lejuan - thanks for that. I'm glad someone else has some idea about the harm they cause.

Azurepred - You need to understand that in certain areas of africa, women are still killed when a sickness spreads because it must have come from a curse from a witch. These same people have convinced some of the population that Ebola does not exist and the sickness is actually the fault of the healthcare workers that are just trying to help, putting themselves at great risk by the way. Some have gone so far as to attack doctors and nurses that are trying to treat the sick. If they believe that ebola is not real, then they don't follow instructions regarding the avoiding of body fluids etc when burying the dead and the disease continues to spread. There are still some that promote a belief that AIDS can be cured by having sex with a virgin, if you can imagine that. I'd say those are exactly the sort of belief systems that should be "bashed". Don't you?

you guys have good points, but I don't think these people can be changed in their ways. I'm not sure what can be done about it either.

well if the virus was anything other than Ebola, their different culture wouldn't have such a drastic effect on the other people in the continent. Maybe not enough is being done to control the virus, instead of trying to control the people? I don't recall hearing about Ebola in any other continent that have similar cultures.

well if the virus was anything other than Ebola, their different culture wouldn't have such a drastic effect on the other people in the continent. Maybe not enough is being done to control the virus, instead of trying to control the people? I don't recall hearing about Ebola in any other continent that have similar cultures.

Sorry azurepred, I deleted my post 'cause it was harsh without providing context.

What I posted was along the lines of "nothing will change until there's a radical cultural shift in Africa's peoples" and that "Africa will be a basket case for generations to come"

Africa's cultural problems are manifold:

- Colonial boundaries that bear little correlation with the tribal groups contained within them is part of the problem.
- A broad cultural tradition that positions the 'chief' at the top of a narrow power hierarchy effectively institutionalising nepotism, cronyism and corruption.
- An animist religiosity that is inherently superstitious and allows witch doctors to peddle all manner of insidious crock and bull.
- ...whilst at the same time nurturing a suspicion and malevolence towards western medicine, medical assistance and medical intervention.
- poor infrastructure limits rural access to heal and education services enjoyed by metropolitan populations

Ebola is relatively easy to quarantine, so long as the population is adequately informed about its symptoms and treatment strategies (ie get to a hospital early). If any cases appear in any countries with half decent emergency health responses, it'll disappear pretty early on.

there was some silly joke going around that the guy is getting super powers

jbtqaeDmzVu1IU.jpg

Back