Asmus LOTR Guritz figure review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
Lets get back to some sixth scale goodness tonight with a look at the latest Asmus Toys Lord of the Rings figure - Guritz! He's got a face only a mother can love...and she'd have to be blind. But Asmus has done a terrific job capturing his horrid appearance, if not for one sticking point...you can find my review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_081514a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a terrific weekend!

Michael
MWC

Nice review Mike. As I said on FB the only thing I think you're incorrect on is the assumption that Middle-earth stuff always selling slow. During the time that the LOTR films were out statues sold quite well and sold for well more than retail with several still doing that today. The Hobbit statues are selling pretty well from what I can gather. Middle-earth may not be quite the same seller in general now but that wasn't always the case. The action figures from folks like Asmus and such will sell slower because Middle-earth collectors in general are statue collectors.

Good review. I had no idea that Guritz was shorter than your average figure until you pointed it out. But that's a good thing; I was planning to body-swap to a short body and maybe now I don't have to.

Wish you had photographed him with Gothmog.

Nice review Mike. As I said on FB the only thing I think you're incorrect on is the assumption that Middle-earth stuff always selling slow. During the time that the LOTR films were out statues sold quite well and sold for well more than retail with several still doing that today. The Hobbit statues are selling pretty well from what I can gather. Middle-earth may not be quite the same seller in general now but that wasn't always the case. The action figures from folks like Asmus and such will sell slower because Middle-earth collectors in general are statue collectors.

Good point, Josh. The statues were very popular, especially in the early days. Toybiz did well with their action figures as well, although some of that was driven by the newness of the license to collectors and the inclusion of kids that time around. With the newer line, both aspects are missing.

The Toy Biz line ran long and went really deep in terms of characters and variants. Out side of the major Marvel, DC or Star Wars lines I cannot think of another one that put out so many figures and Marvel and DC have not been able to put out the larger size figures like Toy Biz did with horses, wargs, trolls, fellbeast (undersized) and NECA snuck in a Barlog. At retail Marvel, DC and Star Wars also rely on sales to kids. It is true that the license started to struggled after the original trilogy left the theaters and was no longer new on DVD but it had a good long run with Toy Biz and WETA.

Last edited:
Good point, Josh. The statues were very popular, especially in the early days. Toybiz did well with their action figures as well, although some of that was driven by the newness of the license to collectors and the inclusion of kids that time around. With the newer line, both aspects are missing.

Yeah, it isn't the new thing anymore and the current "it" thing is the marvel and dc stuff with the masses I should say.

Good review, personally, I think the villains have been great from Asmus line-up
I think lots of people couldn't afford the expensive Weta or Sideshow stuff. Latest sauron was something like 900 $ + shipping?
I hope more people will start collecting these so that more stuff gets released.

I see Eowyn just went up for pre-order (and yes, I ordered). Love the helm and the broken shield, but a little worried about the rooted hair. Doesn't look bad in the photos, and I hope they can pull it off with the production figure.

Rooted hair scares me. Especially when you don't have existing company product to give you a good idea on what quality to expect.

Back