Question About Detolf Displays

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melkorjunior

Super Freak
Reaction score
Not so much about the Detolfs themselves, as the ways I've seen them used to display figures. In people's pictures of their collections, I always see detolfs stacked up on top of each other. But inevitably that means some figures in your display will be in the bottom detolfs, at floor level or just above. This makes no sense to me. How can you appreciate a figure or a statue when you have to kneel down to get a good look at it?

I'm asking because I'll be running into space issues with my sixth-scale collection soon. The way I have my figures displayed is, they're set up on two bookcases using the top three shelves on each one. On those shelves I can get good views of them. But I don't use the bottom three shelves on each bookcase for figures at all because I'd be standing so far above them and constantly squinting down at them. So I guess I'm asking: are you actually able to appreciate your figures when they're in detolfs at floor level or just above? Or is it more like storage space rather than display space at that level?

And any other way would have it? It's either that or have an horizontal detolf! What I do is do a rotation so the figures have some appreciation time at eye-level. It makes you rediscover some of them also.

I've seen some people raise their detolfs with these squares, but I personnally feel that it makes the top shelf too high.

Also some figure with less details fits well on bottom shelves (example: sideshow Stormtrooper)

Yeah, I saw that but I personnally feel it should be raised about 6 inches. 10-15 inches is too high (then again, I'm 5'7 so maybe that's why I feel the upper shelf becomes too high!)

hello, personally i am able to enjoy my figures are ground level because my couch is sitting a few feet from them so my eye level is able to appreciate everything.

that said i have been tampering with the idea of raising the shelves. recently at comic con i took a picture of how the four horsemen set up their shelves and i do like their bases, i think they are custom made. this is what they look like

DSCI2292_zps45493fe3.jpg

Here's my current setup. I prefer the added height. I also like to use the bottom shelves for storage.

Detolf1.jpg Detolf2.jpg Detolf3.jpg

I'm not a detolf kind of guy because I don't want my figures behind glass, I'd rather they were out in the open where I could make minute adjustments whenever the mood struck me. But you guys have convinced me to utilize the next two shelves down on my bookcases for figures. they'll look strange when I'm standing next to the bookcases, but when I'm farther away, or sitting at my desk, I'll be able to appreciate them just fine. Those two shelves will give me room for another 12 figures, so that solves my space problems for the foreseeable future.

I will admit I'm worried about dust. I don't like the relatively paltry width of detolfs though. Three figures seems to be the space limit unless you cram them all together. I'll post a pic of my setup tonight.

My collection still isn't properly displayed but in all honesty I'm not in love with Detolf's. I mean they get the job done and seem relatively cheap but I'd like to find a bit nicer way to showcase my figures. I don't really know what else to use though unless it's custom made, which I know would be pretty costly.

I like the detolfs, have 2 of them, but do wish the shelf space were a bit bigger. You can really only fit 3 figures per shelf to be able to view each clearly and avoid over crowding. I personally wouldn't recommend stacking detolfs. I saw one guy laid his on their side and stacked them on top of each other. These cases are sturdy but they're still glass.

I do see your point though with not being at eye level with the ones at the bottom shelf. My current collection is small so I have 1 case with 2 shelves for 1/6 and 2 for Transformers. I will need another case eventually and because my office is in the basement, I don't have the luxury of tall ceilings where I can raise them either. But I personally don't mind. I definitely prefer them being behind a door as it deters people from touching.

What a great setup and I love your figure selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the detolfs anchored to the cabinet and wall? I like your set up and great idea on using the bottom for storage.

Back