Statue Weta Workshop's The Balrog Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Waller

Are you on the square?
Reaction score
10514447_10152151171707303_1376587507448411811_o.jpg

BtRFd_7CUAAP5t3.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Weta Balrog

I'm not a big fan of the flames but the Balrog looks good. I'll be interested to see the size.

One of those times that I wish Weta had flex pay

Not a fan of this one, personally.

It's an impressive enough pice, but I am sure most of You could think of other potential LOTR reveals, that would make for more sought-after collectibles.

I find the original Balrog statue, to be much more imposing and elegant.

First we have the sculpt itself. The pose is a little underwhelming, a little awkward even. The original had a more imposing look to it. There were so many potential poses WETA could have chosen, to make this 'Rog, stand out in a positive way, compared to the original. Balrog cracking his whip, drawing his sword, or that impresive, peacocky, burning chest display he performed before Gandalf. Instead they went with this slightly awkward, twisted pose, one that makes this statue look more like a Sideshow offering, rather than Weta. Again, this is all just impressions based on few photos, so I hope I am wrong on this one.

Then there's the simple fact, that we allready seen him in statue form. Twice. Not to mention all the different figures and busts, by other manufacturers. Balrog allready had a decent standing in collectible world. Seems a strange choice when there are so many fan-demanded LOTR items yet to be made.

And then add all of it to the issue of price, which I am sure will be quite steep. Despite 'Rog's popularity, I doubt this will be a big earner. I just can't really see the reasoning behind this release. Seems like a counter intuitive move, when they could debut a LOTR item with more bang, by showing something we haven't yet seen before, but shown interest in. Especially now, that LOTR has been largely overtaken by Hobbit.

Totally disagree with everything you said. This is super detailed, great pose, and a super demanded piece. This is going to be one for the books.

It is too bad the sword it not in the right hand, would have looked great paired with the JV artwork. Not sure about the pose either. Will need to see more pics

Back