Cobra commander head sculpt and more

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacemaker

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is my WIP for my CC. The stock head sculpt is good but I wanted to do my own version. Not as good as most of you guys here but so far I'm happy with the outcome. I have difficulty trying to decide what basic helmet I will use but at the end I have to just sculpt it. I have tried my best on keeping to the original version but its just so hard doing this, guess I'm just trying my luck on sculpting which is not my cup of tea.

This is not done yet but the basic structure is complete. I will still shape it and add details/profile to the helmet. I have tried to avoid the Vader/Magneto look but its so difficult. It looks like Magneto's helmet no matter what I do but at least its not Vader.:slap. Gaps need to be filled up and loads of re-shaping.

The face plate was done using fine milliput, again symmetry is difficult to do.

Here it is together....looks weird but I guess that will do for me.

Couple of shots on the body....... a bit better from the stock head sculpt.

Some more shots....

Well I did what I can to improve it, its still a WIP so feel free to comment and I totally welcome advice and criticism so I can improve it a bit.:wink1:

Re: Cobra commander

It looks good. I got some super sculpey and worked for a couple hours the other night just trying to get down a symmetrical smoothed head. Gives me a whole new respect seeing people post their projects now.

Keep it up I think you're off to a great start.

Not bad. I would say the dome is a bit too tall and the face shield not bulging out enough.

Thanks Niltusk, EF.

EF, The helmet is not fixed yet so I can still lower it to adjust the dome height. The face plate I think looks just right in terms of the shape versus how it will "hug" the face. I think the helmet brim is low and the side opening is a bit narrow. I will open this up to give the face plate more exposure and hope that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

I think the body when viewed from the sides looks thin and this gives the illusion of a big head, what do you guys think?

Updates:

Almost done with the final shaping of the helmet. The face plate needs some more tweaking. Once this is done I can proceed to patching up all the blemish then a primer coat. Its difficult to get the exact shape of the helmet, just did what I can here.

Here are a couple of shots of the final shape.....unless somebody point out things to be improved. Thanks to EF for pointing areas that needs fixing.

Here it is together with the face plate. I will still add a small brim around the opening of the front and side helmet.

Cobra Commander - Updated Helmet

Some shots on the body...... still in WIP, I can still have some minor adjustment. Picture Heavy.

The face plate looks kinda funny....probably the angle of the camera.

You can see the re-shaped jaw line here but I think I will soften it a bit.

The head looks big at this angle. The body looks so slim on the side views.....

Mini walk round of the new head and helmet.

The back part needs to be filled up and blend the gaps, but the shape is done.

A closer look at the new head/helmet. I did my best to give that ARAH look but its just so hard.:slap Do I need to re-shape the brim in the front?

Re: Cobra Commander - Updated Helmet

Is the white band on top of the helmet elevated or this can be done via painting it? The helmet that came along with it had this white band slightly elevated, is this how it should be?

Original figure had nothing, as well as the comics, original card art it was just a paint stripe, the cartoon had the slightly elevated area, so I'd just pick one that you prefer.

Original figure had nothing, as well as the comics, original card art it was just a paint stripe, the cartoon had the slightly elevated area, so I'd just pick one that you prefer.

Thanks! I'll go with the painted look, seems sensible enough in terms of the design rather than functionality.

This is the completed helmet and face plate. Final coat of primer to check for imperfection on the surface prior to painting. If all goes well I will cast my final version in resin. Any final thoughts on this prior to casting will be most welcome. Not as good as Ski's sculpt but I'm happy with it. If anybody is interested regarding the resin cast let me know.

So my long journey ends here. After all the frustrations I have completed this update of CC. For me the sculpt that came with it is good but could have been better. Here is the final update with finished paints on. Not totally chrome as it is very difficult in my case but close enough for me.

Next phase is to reproduce this in resin so that I will have multiple copies. Those who are interested can PM me as I will make this in limited quantities. Thanks for the help EF!

Any final thoughts guys?

Nice custom job but doesn't work for me.

That looks good. Great work Peacemaker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back