Whedonite or whedonista?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olvidadero

Chipmunk Robot on Ice
Reaction score
I'm sorry this is not a collectible related thread. I'm working on a research paper and I was wondering what exactly are the differences between the terms 'whedonite' and 'whedonista.' How do you use them? Do you use them both? Thanks in advance!

Add -ista to a word to connote "an aficionado of". Think "fashionista" and the like. The "a" feminizes the word (Spanish), and therefore, I guess, the term, which I have to say I hadn't heard before either. It seems to have been popularized by or made possible that book Doc cited, which, with the general puzzlement your thread has generated, tells me it's not a widespread term, and is still in the esoteric stage, at least to non-academics.

I can see why it came about, though, given the many pro-feminist themes of Buffy, especially. In 2005 I'm sure more than a few college papers in queer theory, pop culture, and women's studies had BTVS as their topic.

You know, I have to say, I don't like either term. The pro-girl-power thing is great and one of the things I love about Buffy (though I don't see it in any of the other Whedon titles), but the Whedonista thing sounds very... college radical feminist to middle-aged me. And frankly, "Whedonite" just screams pimply geek of either gender. I don't identify with either.

Back