1/6 SS: 1/6 General Grievous MODIFICATION & photography thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorywan

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
Lots of people have asked me to do this. So please don't send me 50 PM's!
I will start with the eye modification and post other stuff as I do it, I have a few things planned myself. It's an awesome figure but has a lot of modification potential. Please add your own tips and pics..I'm sure fellow freaks have some awesome mods in mind for the General. I would really recommend you guys try this eye thing, although very small detailed work, I think it is a mod that is achievable at a decent level by most people.

Hope this is as clear as mud, never tried to explain how to do this stuff in words and pics before!
:monkey3

FINS/EARS:

Started to work on the "ears".

I reshaped them a little, made the points finer, matched the screen version a bit better.

New Pins added. I melted slots into the back of the fins to fit the pins. Then cut off the pinheads with a wire cutter to make strong bars to connect to the head (as per the movie version). I drilled holes in the head to hold the pins.

...and onto the head. They are now positionable (well loosely) I think I will set them in a choice pose, from what I've seen angled inwards at the mouth, tilted back slightly seems pretty Grievous. The main thing for me was to get them separate from the head visually and angle them inwards. For some reason SS put them on very straight and linear, which goes against the actual design. And I hated the flat rectangular "plugs" which stuck them into the side of head. The CG Grievous had thin black pins attaching the ears, sometimes visible, sometimes not. I have clean up and painting to do on this before I permanently attach fins.

THE CAPE:

Fill a small bowl with warm water, add a good squeeze of black acrylic paint. Mix it well, until the contents turn into a pretty dark mess. All the acrylic will not mix into the water evenly. thats good. Dip your cape in, squelch it around with a fork or something, then take it out and look for the black dots of pure paint which are stuck to the cloak. Rub them into the damp cloth with your fingers until they become black stains (if you don't like the particular placement of a spot of paint, run it under cold water quickly. Once you have dirty wet cape, lie it down (plate, draining board, whatever) Then apply paint to the bottom edges of the cloak to simulate it has been trailing o the ground. Paint rub, paint rub. Use a flat wide brush for best results.

Now, take your wet cape and wring it, twist and twist into a knot. This will form crinkles and folds and add texture and detail. When it is as knotted as possible, put it on a radiator or somewhere hot to dry.

Then put on grievous, It will be a bit stiffer, so you can pose it a bit better. Wetting it on Grievous will let it hang better, but its trial and error.

Final thing is to add screen specific dirty spots (have a look at some screen grabs) you can do this last with a black wash as described above, do it on grievous though.

Good luck with it all...

:duff

Last edited:
great job ! really brings out the detail….are you planning to repaint the whole thing by any chance ? to me it looks like the whole cream color looks pretty weak..
looks too much like plastic..it should look more like marble..just not enough depth..

anyways, really great tutorial..every little detail added is a plus

keep up the great work !

Wor-Gar post your pics over there as well! and please add to my notes...

... although very small detailed work, I think it is a mod that is achievable at a decent level by most people.

Yes, indeed. I highly recommend this mod. It's tiny work but most rewarding. I followed this mod and, although not Rory quality, I am very happy with the results. Now that this tutorial is up, I can't wait to try my hand again on the EX mask.

Looking forward to seeing you guys give this a go...

Only note to add is that I would start first by carefully removing the larger block that contains the eyes and flesh around it, then once that is removed its easier to get at the eye balls.

Here's what I got...

G 2.jpg

G 5.jpg

Have you sculpted yours Wor-Gar or just repainted?

Yep, that's fully sculpted like how Rory instructed. The actual eye-plate is as smooth as a dolphin's back. The real trick here is simply sculpting the texture small enough. As you can see, mine is larger and more exaggerated than Rory's. He really should have included a magnifying glass as part of the 'tools' for this. :)

nice work Wor-Gar !

Thank you very much.

They should really hire some folks here to actually design and make the figures. The mods I've seen over the years are fantastic

Thanks gents, I will update the next step tomorrow. It took more time than I thought to try and put that down on an image and make it vaguely understandable!

..and just to repeat what I said in the other thread... great job on yours Wor-Gar, looks pretty perfect to me.

Ok, I thought you had done. If I can get results anywhere near, I'll be very happy.

Thanks, man! You can do it; if I can, you can.

..and just to repeat what I said in the other thread... great job on yours Wor-Gar, looks pretty perfect to me.

Thank you, master. :bow

:) Seriously, could not have done this without your inspiration and guidance.

Your tutorial is perfect BTW. You will make a lot of people very, very happy.... or insanely jealous and frustrated.

Back