Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #11 Matt Smith in Series 7 costume

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Britain

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've never started one of these threads before so I wanted to get into the action! In the sign up page for the DOTD exclusive Ten Big Chief have given us the first glimpse of 11 in his series 7 threads:

https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/10th-doctor-the-day-of-the-doctor-50th-anniversary-edition/

A little early to tell, but I think the cut of the coat looks nice and the cloth looks quite thin. This is certainly going to be a spectacular figure to have on your shelf, just on the grounds that the coat is purple!

Well spotted. I might even sign up for one of those 10s..maybe.
The 11 in the S7 outfit would be a must have.

Here's hoping !

Yeah nice spot. I didn't even notice. I will definitely get this one. Essential Doctor variant. Other essential Doctor variants:

Season 17 and 18 fourth Doctor. (Though season 18 should be a new head sculpt at the very least)
TVM and NotD eighth Doctor

Not sure about the others.

Hoping we'll get a different sculpt than the previous release, just to make it a little less bland among the expressive 10 and 4.

Every version of 11 is a must have for me but what I want most is a Stetson version or even just the head so I could complete my Mercy Doctor. Guess I'll keep hoping and waiting. *sigh*

I said I wasn't going to buy anymore but I'm going to cave in for another 11.

Ha, I didn't even notice that - good catch. Perhaps he'll come up for order while we're waiting for Hartnell.

I am still wondering if that pic wasn't just a Photoshop job turning the brown purple, but it'd be awesome if it was actually pretty far in development! If it is a Photoshop, it might mean the final head might not look exactly the same. A refined paint job would be great. They should offer extra heads-only to put on your last 11th figure.

Remember that a new sculpt would start the approval process all over again and delay the figure by 6 months to a year - so I really doubt they'll be a new portrait. It would be great if there was - but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Yep - Photoshopped.

10th-Doctor-50th-Anni-Banner.jpg

1_6-11th-Doctor-Product-Image-081.jpg

Even if this is a photoshop and a bit of cheating involved .....its a good indication that Big Chief are at least thinking about the season 7 Smith version.

I'd definitely be up for buying that.

Signed up for the 'chance' to buy one of those 10s as well ....the chance of being selected is miniscule, but why not really :D

BCS just posted that expansion packs have been put on hold indefinitely.

Anyone surprised? Not me. :wave

Remember that a new sculpt would start the approval process all over again and delay the figure by 6 months to a year - so I really doubt they'll be a new portrait. It would be great if there was - but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I was just talking about refined paint job, not a new head sculpt. I'd think that would be doable. I actually like my 11, but he does look more gray compared to the others.

Even if this is a photoshop and a bit of cheating involved .....its a good indication that Big Chief are at least thinking about the season 7 Smith version.

I'd definitely be up for buying that.

Signed up for the 'chance' to buy one of those 10s as well ....the chance of being selected is miniscule, but why not really :D

Oh, the new version was confirmed as being the 7b look on the FB Fan Page. So it's definitely happening!

Here's the full thing about expansion packs:

We continue to receive emails regularly eager for an update on the costume and accessory packs that we proposed some time back.

In short as of now the packs are on hold for a number of reasons. The main one being the viability for us to produce, given the minimum quantity we would need to order from our vendors.

The simple fact is that whilst Doctor Who is an amazing brand, with 50 years of heritage, it is sadly not as global a property as we need it to be in sufficient numbers.

Whilst the focus for every Doctor Who licensee seems to be on what is current, i.e New Who, the classic series are just too niche outside of the UK.

Simply put we would need to be selling at least 2000 pieces per character to consider the packs. As it is we are not reaching that level of sales just yet. Before anyone suggests it, selling via third party retailers is not going to help. The high margins required by distributors and retailers, further reduces the revenue generated for the company.

The most expensive components of a 1:6 figure is the clothing and the head. Accessories are surprisingly not as high. As these are the very parts that would be included in the packs, we would need to order a high quantity of packs. Considering our edition sizes the question is how many who have purchased a figure would want to redress their figure?

We want to be clear we still very much want to see the packs become a reality. We just need to balance sales of the full figures against the possible numbers of packs we could sell and of course the quantity we would need to order.

Time will tell.

Thanks
BCS

P.S. - Doctor Who, you found it! That's the one I was thinking of. I just thought the pose seemed so specific and familiar. :)

But they could change the hairpiece at the front to give it slicked-back 7b hair - would that need fresh approval? Anyway, I'm buying whether its a new sculpt or not, at least the paint job should be improved.

Great to see BC making the position so clear on expansion packs. They're no great loss to me, all I care about is that they keep up the current quality and tempo. Three figures a year, 6-8 months from preorder to delivery, legendary products like Ten, all these things make me happy.

The expansion packs being put on hold dies not surprise me. However, the concept of the pack, on a figure, creating a Mk2 of the figure like thus 11, is a much better idea.
I take the point about head sculpt approval slowing down production. Personally I don't mind if the same head is used, but the notion of slightly altered hair on the same face is a good one.
Main thing is, this second 11 looks like it should happen.

Back