MMS200 - Man Of Steel - Customizations/Modifications Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok all done except painting the piping on the suit...guess ill pm a few people who successfully completed that and see the best way to go about it....looks like a really really steady hand is needed as the curves seem like it would be hard to tape the suit off....idk....any tips are much appreciated....sorry for bad lighting guys bt he looks perfect in hand now

Ok all done except painting the piping on the suit...guess ill pm a few people who successfully completed that and see the best way to go about it....looks like a really really steady hand is needed as the curves seem like it would be hard to tape the suit off....idk....any tips are much appreciated....sorry for bad lighting guys bt he looks perfect in hand now

Great looking mods! They really elevate this amazing figure even more. The piping on the suit might be a bit more difficult for me to handle. I'm not sure what the other guys used. Probably a really fine brush/needle and the hands of a surgeon. :lol

I have a few questions about Tony's cape. Did you use the lowest settings on your iron and for how long? And how did you figure out how long to stretch the middle part of the cape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking mods! They really elevate this amazing figure even more. The piping on the suit might be a bit more difficult for me to handle. I'm not sure what the other guys used. Probably a really fine brush/needle and the hands of a surgeon. :lol

I have a few questions about Tony's cape. Did you use the lowest settings on your iron and for how long? And how did you figure out how long to stretch the middle part of the cape?

No iron here...just took me moving the pins til I had the exact opening I wanted for the neck....I knew how I wanted it to look around the neck before hand....its gonna be quite hard to get 100% movie accurate bt we all try and it comes down you being happy for yourself in the end....someone else will always do a lil different or even better bt hey mine is right for me lol. Might do a few things differently on my other if I keep it

How did you get the collar to sit so low? Did you have to bend it or stretch it?

How did you get the collar to sit so low? Did you have to bend it or stretch it?
No I just took out the under piece like everyone else did...sewed up back of suit...painted top collar to desired color...set it over neck to see how low I wanted it...cut excess suit out of way with very fine small sewing scissors....also hollowed out the top collar where basically it was just the frame...glued it back down exactly where I wanted!

Thanks Jam! I was just worried about over stretching the cape when ironing it. Don't worry about your figure, he definitely looks movie accurate to me! Again, great job in modding the figure.

Thanks Jam! I was just worried about over stretching the cape when ironing it. Don't worry about your figure, he definitely looks movie accurate to me! Again, great job in modding the figure.

Thank man...yea the ironing will def work...kinda guess work tho bt surely just heat it n stretch it just a lil then check it real fast and see ab how much more u need...2nd time ull have it I bet!!

No I just took out the under piece like everyone else did...sewed up back of suit...painted top collar to desired color...set it over neck to see how low I wanted it...cut excess suit out of way with very fine small sewing scissors....also hollowed out the top collar where basically it was just the frame...glued it back down exactly where I wanted!

Awesome. Thanks jam. I saw Tonys mod on Facebook and it looks like he just cut the back and glued it down further on the shoulders. I'll try your way first. Already removed the under collar and thought that would be enough for me but seeing everyone else's mod so close to the symbol makes me want to go the extra mile.

I have maximum respect for anyone brave enough to do the collar mod. When mine comes I'm just going to enjoy it for a while and decide if it really needs it, got one of Tony's capes coming anyway.

Anyone planning on doing commissions on installing and touching up tonys cape? I only ask because I don't think I have a sturdy enough hand to do the touch up.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

just a FYI for those with Tonys cape and looking to form the pleats at the collar in a more defined way ,i recently took apart a odin cape ,i liked the look of the fabric and color ,and found that hot toys had used double sided tape to form the pleats and stick it to the plastic mold that shapes the cape and connects it to the figure ,maybe this could work to form the pleats with out sewing ,sewing tends to look bulky , for tonys cape ,as i said just a FYI

what color and what paint did you used to paint the gauntlets?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

what paint did you used to paint the gauntlets? and what color?

what paint did you used to paint the gauntlets? and what color?

I used folkart metallic blue with a drop of black to make closer to suit color match...acrylic obviously lol. good luck man its just kind of a mix n try til u get it right!!

whew after some bactracking, still am confused with the collar and cape mod.

1. if you purchase tony's custom cape, do i still need to do anything with regard to collar cutting / plastic removal?
2. any video / set of pics that outlines what you do with the collar? what's that supposed to achieve, improving the hunch and bulkiness of the cape?
3. someone mentioned about having to remove some plastic in the neck / collar area. what's this supposed to improve and how do you do it?

sorry for the questions. despite all the reading, got so few internet time here at work

1. if you purchase tony's custom cape, do i still need to do anything with regard to collar cutting / plastic removal?
2. any video / set of pics that outlines what you do with the collar? what's that supposed to achieve, improving the hunch and bulkiness of the cape?
3. someone mentioned about having to remove some plastic in the neck / collar area. what's this supposed to improve and how do you do it?

sorry for the questions. despite all the reading, got so few internet time here at work

This page outlines how do to the mod: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...ustom-MOS-Superman-Cape-youtube-video)/page53

If you type "tony mei man of steel" into Google it should bring up a video of how to put the cape on. Can't send you the link to that at the moment (College internet filters).

As far as I'm aware Tony's cape can still be used without the collar mod.

Hope this helps.

1. you do not have to cut the inner collar plastic..if you going to buy the custom cape... just removed the stock cape
2. there is an inner collar under the suit, that raise the trapezius .. making too bulky
3. removing the inner collar; lower the trap and making the cape look more natural on that area

----- i copied and paste the tutorial here credit to Tony Mei - - - - - - -

Inner Plastic remove tutorial (Part 1)
1. turn the figure around and cut open the suit (you can cut the plastic neck frame, it'll make this mod much easier, as I did in the next few pictures)

2. out goal is to take the inner plastic out and also make the collar lower close to the Superman symbol

3. cut it open with exacto knife

Inner Plastic remove tutorial (Part 2)
1. once the stitches is cut (half way is enough)

2. open the suit up, and you'll see the inner plastic is what make the trapezius bulky

3. pull the suit off slowly, and carefully (even if you mess up a bit, its okay, it can easily be covered up by the cape)

4. start taking the inner plastic off (it's only been glue onto the body at a few small area, once loosen the glue, its simple to be pulled out)

Outer collar remove tutorial (Part 3)
1. pull the outer neck collar frame off the suit slowly and carefully

2. measure where you would like the collar frame to set and draw a small lines across the collar bone area (then cut it across, but be sure to leave enough space to glue the collar frame back on)

*Also to be on the save side, be sure to crazy glue both seamline stitching, so the stitches wont fall apart

3. hand sew the back together

4. hallow out the collar frame

Inner Plastic remove tutorial (Part 4)
1. now you have a lower collar line

2. hand stitch the rear back together

3. crazy glue the collar frame back onto the suit (I did not glue the side, only the front)

4. and crazy glue the rear. Now you got a lower flat shoulder as shown in the Movie

Custom Cape Installation
stock cape remove tutorial

1. Place the inner side of the cape at the cape insert section.

2. Put the tiny pins (pins provided) into both corners of the black frame.

Press the pins down into the soft rubber body for stability. (angle it downward to avoid pins sticking out of the suit)

3. Repeat step 2 on the other side.

4. Flip the cape over the neck, DONE.

Back