Sony - The Real Phantom Menace

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DouglasMcc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Now let me preface this post by pointing out that I have owned every system from Nintendo, Sony, and MS since the early 90's ... don't mean to turn this into "fanboyism".

Okay, I have been going through the DTs for 2 weeks now (video game related of course). I have told myself over the last few months that the PS3 was not worth the expenditure at launch. I have dozens, if not hundreds of reasons to skip the launch. But a smaller ... much less patient part of me, has been craving next gen hardware. I started by saying, "well, I am not going to waste the money ... too many other games, plus the Wii worth buying." Then, it was "well, I won't be able to find one, so why bother." Then last week, it was "well, Best Buy is going to have 60 ... might have to stop by and check this out." See how quickly the irritational mind jumps at new tech? It drove me from, "nah, not needed" to "get the damn thing" 0-60 in 3 seconds. This, despite the crappy reviews ... well, average reviews at best. This despite the fact that I own most of the launch titles already for my 360 or PC. This despite the fact that only Resistance actually looks all that good. This, despite the pitiful supply of Blue Ray movies at my local blockbusters. Yes.. I am ashamed to admit it ... I have no will power when it comes to tech. This is the logic that lead to me purchasing a G15 Logitech "gaming" keyboard ... which 11 months later only supports 2 of my games with the LCD read-out. So, yesterday, I stopped by Wal-Mart on the pretense that I wanted to get some groceries. But, secretly, my subconcious was planning out a camping expedition. Well, low and behold, they had just installed a demo unit. The PS3 was within my grasp. All hope seemed lost for me to stick to my guns and do the smart thing. But then the strangest thing happened. I stopped and actually analyzed the games footage and demos. They were so under-whelming. NBA 07 looked and played worse than 2K7 on the 360 ... not to mention the sweat modelling made them look like plastic soldiers. The racing games looked just like their counterparts on the 360. Even Resistance failed to grab me as a "killer app". Now, it did look fun, and I will play it happily some day. But, the graphics were no better than COD 3 on 360. The attempt to simulate the difference between 480P and 1080P in DVDs did nothing for me (once again, they spent an assload to hook up 1080P mini monitors ... but they just proved that the difference was unnoticable on a small screen). Sony's marketing actual killed my inner hardware geek.

Rational thought took over. Since I knew the guy in charge, I couldn't help but ask the number of systems they would have. And.... drumroll please ... 5. 5 systems for a Super Walmart in a military town. I went home dumbfounded over the logic of spending a grand or so to demo a system in a store with 5 systems that would sell to someone (most likely a homeless chinese national on winter break hehe) with no demo, no nothing. I drove home and went on my usual daily web circle and saw an article about 140,000 units at launch. Then it hit me .... yes, the obscure Star Wars reference will pay off ... just wait for it ... this so-called launch has nothing to do with selling systems. It's here to sell a perception. Sony knew they couldn't produce enough systems to launch this holiday. The final numbers prove this. They knew that they didn't have enough original content to contend with MS. So, why waste the money on launching half-assed? Because, they want ... no, they need to show the Sony Zealots that the PS3 is "out-there". They have strained their credibility to the breaking point. If they skipped this holiday season, some of the fandom would begin to break ... especially when they saw those 360s and WII on the shelves. They were going to loose their "cool" status, their rabid "there is none higher" fanbase. And that would have been disasterous. So, they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions when you count in commercials and cross-promotions) to advertise a product that really won't "launch" until next year. All they need is that shiny machine in its glass prison to beckon to the masses, and a handful of systems in actual homes to fool people into thinking ... "well, it launched ... I just have to be patient ... I meant, it exists ... I am looking at it right now. I need to save my money to purchase one as soon as its in stock." All they need to do is hold over the masses with false hope until they can deliver. Now, Sony did some idiotic things to get into this position. But the marketing behind this scheme is brilliant. Sure, it's nothing more than million dollar 3 card monte. However, its done with Sony's usual flair (well, I think their marketing is trite and, at times plain stupid .. but it does appeal to the masses). And it appears to be working. Now, whether it holds until mass shipments (and more importantly killer games) hit the masses, well only time will tell.

And, as another friend pointed out, minimal amounts of systems will save Sony money. These systems are costing so much because Sony is having to rush order the components before all their manufacturing plants are operational. So, they are having to pay premium. Come January, they will be able to produce them a little cheaper. Sure, it will still be sold at a lose. But, even if they only save 50 dollars a system, it will save the company millions in the end. Just goes to show you the spirit of Palpatine is alive and Asian :cool:.

ralph_wiggum.jpg

Wow dude. I don't think I got a single word of that post! I think you are saying that Emperor Palpatine has now taken over the video game world, and that every single American should be hunted down and defeated. It's a conspiracy! Dude, this knowledge could save America! You're a hero!

Or it could be a bunch of technical business information, but then you won't be a hero. Oh well.

Last edited:
pixletwin said:
Wel love you Doug. But Dannies post was just to diddlee-dang darn funny.

No problem. Heck, that's just a cut and paste of an e-mail I sent my friend earlier today... hope you guys dont mind "sloppy seconds." I may teach kindergarden now... but my business degree sometimes accidentally kicks in. Besides, I knew the truth before I even pasted my message:

You want semi-witty banter, you come to our little Freak Forum, you want intelligent discussion, you go ... ah, well ... somewhere they don't collect dolls"

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

P.S. Witty rhymes with Sh.... well, lots of words actually.

i read the whole thing and you do state the obvious quite well. hey sony where are those supposed "in game" screen shots now that you showed at E3? your product is out now and it's graphics can't touch GOW. i think we know you lied now. microsoft did a smart thing by bringing their system out a year early because they have had a year to get things going and look at how their main game stacked up against sony's. now sony is struggling to get quality games out and produce enough systems. also now people are seeing the games and aren't overly impressed. sony has promised the world and has only given a small island. just wait till the very few systems that will be available start breaking down(always the case with the first run), will sony replace them for free or refuse to accept responsibility like they did with the PS2? what about their "online service"? microsoft has had years to get a leg up and sony has nothing...oh wait, it's free. we all know the saying about getting what you pay for. what about "4-d" graphics? where are those? lies, all lies. sony has gotten "fat and lazy" and unless they start materializing what they promise, is in for a dogfight. i also heard M$ is looking at buying capcom....wow, talk about a heavyweight uppercut punch. ok, i'm done rambling.

jar-jar_binks3.jpg

Meesa think Sony going to make muy muy money off PS3. Meesa think Sony is the Darkside. Yousa agree, okeyday?

Actually, Jar Jar is the driving force behind the PS3, the cut him up into little bits and put them in boxes with a bunch of wires attached to him. When you play the PS3, your actually spreading his disease. :emperor

Anyways, I'm going Xbox 360.

Bannister said:
It wasn't Jar jar just some homeless dude. Easy mistake.

Actually Jar Jar is now just some homeless dude. Easy mistake.

jar%20jar%20binks.jpg

DouglasMcc said:
No problem. Heck, that's just a cut and paste of an e-mail I sent my friend earlier today... hope you guys dont mind "sloppy seconds." I may teach kindergarden now... but my business degree sometimes accidentally kicks in. Besides, I knew the truth before I even pasted my message:

You want semi-witty banter, you come to our little Freak Forum, you want intelligent discussion, you go ... ah, well ... somewhere they don't collect dolls"

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

P.S. Witty rhymes with Sh.... well, lots of words actually.

Can I get the Cliff's Notes version of that quote? I didn't get past "semi"...

:D

And it looks like I won't be getting a PS3 any time soon.

How is what Sony is doing different than Sideshow's Exclusives program?

Meh, I'm just being snarky.

Bannister said:
jar-jar_binks3.jpg

Meesa think Sony going to make muy muy money off PS3. Meesa think Sony is the Darkside. Yousa agree, okeyday?

Actually, as with most things in life Jar Jar, you are wrong. Sony will probably never be able to produce the PS3 cheap enough to make a profit off the system itself. In fact, they are losing 250 dollars per launch system. Now, if you mean games and game licensing, along with accessories, you might be right. But since we at Freaks take everything literally ... you are WRONG.

Poor Jar Jar, all he ever wanted was a friend ... a friend and a shot at Padme's promised land. Was that so wrong ....

Back