Statue HELP! Can anyone advise me on a "safe" method for repacking the original Balrog?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingwe

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
HELP! Can anyone advise me on a "safe" method for repacking the original Balrog?

Hi all, :wave

Sorry to come in straight with a question as a new member but I suspect I won't be the first!! :wink1:

Having scoured the web-shire for a guide on how best to pack the Original Balrog into its original styrofoam I have come up short. Around a year ago I came across a 'how-to guide' that was uploaded by somebody on some random site and although I thought I had bookmarked the site I can't find a record of it now that I need it (I need to move my Rog in 2 weeks time). I purchased my Balrog brand new in 2003 and didn't display for him for a LONG time as I didn't have a cabinet wide enough. A few years ago and with the intro of a pair of bigger cabinets he made his debut on show but (moronically) I did not make a note (or take a pic) of now he looked in the box and what bits had bubble wrap on etc. which was unwise as unlike the other Sideshow boxes the styrofoam for my Balrog had been 'modified' with certain areas scraped deeper than the original mould and a couple of the extremities had some bubble wrap on and some of the inside of the styrofoam is even taped. Whether these modifications were made by the factory because so many of the early Balrogs were damaged in transit, I don't know? Anyway, whatever they did, it worked, as my Balrog arrived in perfect order. In fact it was only the base that had minor flaws which I guess must have happened in production. I did ask for an exchange but it was sold out and as I wasn't prepared to do without I hung on to him (besides, the issues with the base are barely noticeable when he is on it and who the hell looks at the base when you are staring at this ancient beast anyway, right!?).

Anyway, to summarise, my question is... does anybody have any pictures and/or advice on packing the Balrog, i.e. what bits should I additionally protect? and how? (and preferably with what material)? As my Balrog (and whip) are all perfect I would be mortified if he got damaged in a 2 miles transit.

I have uploaded some pictures of my Balrog including the inside of the styrofoam and what was in there - 2 bits of tissue paper (but I have more of the same if needed), 2 attached sponges, 1 loose sponge, 2 bits of bubble wrap and the large tissue covered board and large square of foam (for the whip? but how?!). Any help or advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

P.S. What an amazing site! I have a feeling I might while away some serious hours browsing and participating in this site.
P.P.S. The same advice on the original Cave Troll would be gratefully received also! I haven't even looked in that box yet… :panic:

IMG_4873.jpgIMG_4887.jpgIMG_4893.jpgIMG_4846.jpg

Re: HELP! Can anyone advise me on a "safe" method for repacking the original Balrog?

God I miss my Balrog.

Re: HELP! Can anyone advise me on a "safe" method for repacking the original Balrog?

yeah fantastic piece...im not looking forward to boxing mine up one day when i move.:(

Thanks for acknowledging the thread guys. I bet you miss him The Josh. I am going to sell most of my LOTR collection but I have a feeling that I will struggle to let him go. TURINS~BANE, I have had this Balrog-moving anxiety for months and months (which is probably why I procrastinated sorting it!)... :-/

If anybody knows of somebody that has a packed/stored Balrog I would appreciate you mentioning my dilemma. For the time being he is back in the cabinet and the clock will continue to tick down to moving day… :-/

No problem though I haven't been any help. :lol I do. I really do. I'm sure. It's a great statue.

If I see any picture or anything that can help I'll pass it on.

Cheers mate. Much appreciated.

I had the balrog preordered when I was a freshman in college. I didn't have a job and funds were low so I decided to cancel the preorder. I've seriously regretted that decision ever since. The balrog will always be the one that got away. It's made me reluctant to cancel any preorder. I hope you get yours safe to its new location. Have you considered holding it while in transit? I know I've moved my Gandalf on Shadowfax and a few other large ones and that's how I did it. I didn't want to let anyone else hold it because I wanted to be mad at myself and not someone else if something happened. So I would suggest holding it while someone else drives you.

I hear you scorpio_2049, I have had the same thought as it is putting him in the styrofoam and waiting for a "snick" as the 'lid' goes on that I am terrified of. Oh for the want of Superman's X-ray vision so I could see the process from the inside of the box so I could abort the process if necessary! So, I guess that you didn't get stopped by the police with a mounted white stallion in your lap then? :p
P.S. sorry you missed out on the big guy. I feel your pain. Truly.

I'm talking about just holding the free standing statue in your lap. Not even have him in the box. But I'm not sure exactly how big the balrog is because I've never seen him in person, but I know he's big. He may be too big to hold in your lap.

I'm talking about just holding the free standing statue in your lap. Not even have him in the box. But I'm not sure exactly how big the balrog is because I've never seen him in person, but I know he's big. He may be too big to hold in your lap.

Sorry mate, yeah, I did realise that was what you meant. Going your route is going to be my last resort if I bottle out of packing him. Size-wise he is not much heavier or bigger than the original Ringwraith/Steed so he is probably on a par with Shadowfax/Gandalf and definitely "lap-able". I will have probably opt for a 3am transit time so there is no other traffic on the streets and we can drive at 15mph!

Which side says Sideshow/Weta on it? Generally that is the top of the Styrofoam.

Which side says Sideshow/Weta on it? Generally that is the top of the Styrofoam.

Thanks, yeah, I too understood that to be the general 'rule of thumb' with this line. The taped in cushion-sponges are on the bottom side so I guessed that they were there to ease the big guy in. Just wish I knew which other bits to wrap and support as I am wary that over-supporting the wrong parts might create unwanted pressure on vulnerable bits of him when/if the lid goes on… <12 days to go> tick, tick, tick!

Sorry Ingwe, this is the best I can do for you, I hope it helps, if just a little. :wave

SSW_DaddyRog_7.jpg

The little pads go between the arms & the body, the arms & the wings and the arm and the leg – for support.

I know it's not much but is all I got. :lol

Give Stormcrow a PM as I got mine from him recently and he maybe able to help further.

Best of luck transporting this wonderful piece. :rock

Thank ya Bill! That's much better help than my suggestion. :lol

Yeah, I though I deserved at least one reputation credit for it. :lol

Done :duff

2 miles?
Just lay the pieces on the seat.
I took Sauron at least 6 miles scattered about my car.
:lol

This is certainly one on my list to try to grab at one point.

Back