Action Figure 1/12th Scale Iron Man Hall of Armor Project Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boba Debt

Super Freak
Reaction score
I started this thread at another forum but a friend recommended that I post it here too.

I am building a 1/12 scale Hall of Armor by combining modified HOA display bases from the Marvel Select line with figures from the various 6” lines

I know this will be far from screen accurate but it will work for me and I have limited display real-estate so I don’t mind the smaller scale.

So far I have ordered the following Revoltech figures:

• Mark I
  • Mark II
  • Mark III
  • Mark V
  • Mark VI
  • Mark VII
  • Mark XLII

I also ordered a 6" Marvel Legends Iron Patriot since Revoltech doesn't offer that version yet.

I have one MS HOA display base on hand and I have a bunch more on the way

Originally I was going to use the MS HOA display base to create a master and then have it cast or printed but I can get the MS War Machines for around $20 so buying and modifying them seems to be the most cost effective way to do this.

However, it will take a lot of work, mostly because the actual side walls of the MS HOA bases are not solid like the prototype pictures showed.

MS HOA as pictured on all web sites and the back of the box

The actual base that comes with the figure

To make this work I realized I would have to modify and join both sides to create a solid wall

I spent about an hour in my shop cutting the left and right side so they would be thinner and then I hand lapped them until they were flat enough to glue together which created a wall that will work for the left, right or center wall of a bay unit.

I compared these walls to the real thing and the distance above and below the light is smaller then the Marvel Select Walls. I also think this display might be about 3/4” too tall for a 6” figure.

To fix both of these issues I will cut about 1/4” off the top edge and a 1/2” off the bottom but I’m going to wait until I have most of my figures on hand so I don’t make them too short.

I know there are still exposed holes on the outside but I’ll cover them up with some model parts and it should look fine.

I might also have to cut down the back and modify the floor.

If it works and looks right I'll just need to repeat the process 10 or more times

Here are some reference pictures:

MOVIE VERSION

HOT TOYS

I did some measuring and determined that I can not fit as many bays as I wanted in a single layer in the area that I have to display this.

These grid wall panels are only 24" wide

It looks like I will have to use a 2 layer approach, which may be required anyway, especially if I buy Armors from the House Party or the drones for IM2

Here is how I plan to lay it out for now.

I expect to get a lot of flack over my selection's but for what I want to do they will work.

I’ll keep this thread updated and I’ll gladly answer any questions you have.

Thanks

Last edited:
Are from the RPF? I think I recognize some of these props (like the Matrix of Leadership). What is that golden triangle? I feel I have seen that before. I wanna say stargate but I not sure that's right.

Anyway, look forward to seeing more of the project!

Yes, I'm a member of the RPF, been there for a while. Props are the primary focus of my collection and that corner is one of 4 in my living room

2 are dedicated to Star Wars and the other 2 are a mix. That it the Triangle of Light from Tomb Raider.

I'm surprised you didn't notice the Arc Reactor

Yes, I'm a member of the RPF, been there for a while. Props are the primary focus of my collection and that corner is one of 4 in my living room

2 are dedicated to Star Wars and the other 2 are a mix. That it the Triangle of Light from Tomb Raider.

I'm surprised you didn't notice the Arc Reactor

But I did notice! That's Gordon Gekko Arc Reactor... I know cause I have one as well. Great collection, man! :hi5:

I received my Revoltech Mark 2, 3 and 6 and my Marvel legends Iron Patriot

I am pleased with them and they are better then I expected but I will need to install foot pegs in the floor pads to keep them stable.

I’m a little bummed that the ML Iron Patriot is taller then the others but it will have to do for now.

Once I had the figures I set them in my prototype HOA and determined that the sides and back would have to be cut down and the floor pad would have to be cut out of the floor panel.

I will make a continuous floor and top that will unify the bays once it is all put together.

The sides will have to be filled with resin to make them stronger and give me a way to attach them to the floor and top.

Here is what I have so far:

I spent some time looking at the Hot Toys Die Cast line and after brief consideration I decided to go with the original 7 for my 1/12 scale HOA and I pre-ordered the 1/6 scale Mark 42, War Machine and Iron Patriot.

The 1/6 scale figures will be displayed slightly below and in front of my HOA

I received most of my Revoltech figures and Marvel Select display bases and did a quick set up to see how it looked

So far I like it a lot

The only figure I need for this display is the Mark 4 which I ordered last night.

I’ll probably modify 3 of the displays this weekend and make the support base and top which will give me a better idea of if the walls have to be cut down

IF the PI 1/12 diecast figures ever become easily available I might add a second level to my HOA and put the drones and a few of the House Party Armors on the bottom and the original 7 on top

I decided to use a simple system to secure the figures to the bases

I drilled a hole in each pad and inserted a short #4 screw.

It works perfectly:

If I have to cut down the walls I plan to reduce the floor panels to the center section pictured above. In that case I would not permanently attach the pads to the base, I would just set them in the bay which would make removing and replacing the action figure very easy.

I glued up one side of the display

I think the bays are just a little too tall. I’m going to replace the floor panel with a taller piece of wood and then use the center pad as figure base that is attached to the figure but removable so I can look at the figure and dust as required

I should have that done by tomorrow

I'm pretty much talking to myself here so I'm not going to waste anymore time explaining the details.

haha. Looks great Boba!
I would replace the revoltech mk 6 with the sh figuarts mk 6. It's a lot better in detail and articulation. Also the figure is same height with the revoltechs.

BTW mk IV revoltech prices are insane . I only have mk1,mk5, mk7 and mk 42 revoltech. THe other two are the sh figuarts mk vi and War machine.

I finished this tonight

I’m still waiting on my Mark 4 and I might replace the base but for now it’s done

I received my Revoltech Mark 4 the other day and my 1/12 scale HOA is finally complete

It was a lot of work and cost about $700 but I am very happy with the end result and think it looks great as a back drop to Tony’s work shop

Thanks, I have a bunch of accessories for Tony's work shop coming but some may take weeks to be delivered.

I think I have spent more on the accessories then I did for the figure.

Thanks

I received my Snap On Die Cast Tool Box Bank today and it fits the Work Shop Display perfectly

Here are some pictures from the eBay auction, the tools are die cast

Just wanted to post the final picture of my 1/12 scale Hall of Armor which morphed into a backdrop for my Work Shop display.

Nice display there but the folks here tend to be pretty cold towards certain topics.
Most questions or threads will go unanswered here, :D
Keep your head up and have fun collecting.

Back