Middle-Earth Book Edition Questions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drakul

Super Freak
Reaction score
I apologize if this is slightly OP but I figured who better to ask than a group of crazy picky fans :) :yess:

So I just Desolation of Smaug which was freaking amazing and that's made me want to dig back into Middle Earth in a big way.
Here are the books I actually already own:

The Hobbit Collector's Edition HC - Houghton Mifflin

The Hobbit Limited Edition Collector's Box HC - Haper Collins

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0395193958/talkingaboutt-20"]The Lord of the Rings Collector's Edition HC[/ame] - Houghton Mifflin

The Silmarillion Limited Edition Collector's Box HC - Harper Collins

I also used to own but can't find
The Silmarillion Illustrated by Ted Nasmith HC - Harper Collins

Children of Hurin 1st Ed. Signed by Christopher Tolien and Alan Lee HC - Houghton Mifflin

And finally the grand daddy of them all
History of Middle-Earth 1-3 Limited Deluxe Edition HC - Harper Collins

So now that's what I have.
Obviously first and foremost I need to get Unfinished Tales; There aren't many editions out so this one is semi easy.
I'll probably get the:
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Unfinished-Numenor-Middle-Earth-Christopher-Tolkien/dp/0618154043/sr=8-1/qid=1161279177/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6274491-9569564?ie=UTF8"]Unfinished Tales HC[/ame] - Houghton Mifflin
Altough since I already have the Deluxe HoM book I'm semi tempted to track down:
Unfinished Tales Deluxe Edition HC - Harper Collins
I think both editions are similar in content but let me know if you know more.

Now The Hobbit. I own 2 editions already but both have one thing that irks me: no red runes on Thrain's Map so like for Unfinished Tale I'm thinking about tracking:
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0395071224/ref=nosim/mikestolkienreso"]The Hobbit HC[/ame] - Houghton Mifflin 2007 Ed.
I know this edition had the red runes and the 2007 (as opposed to 2012) doesn't have the red sun on the cover nor any '75th Anniversary' thing.
I do not know for a fact if the Harper Collins Deluxe edition has the red runes or not so I'd appreciate feedback. If it does I'll try and track it down.

Finally The Silmarillion. I used to have 2 editions but apprently misplaced one and I've read the 2nd version is the more definitive one so I was thinking once again about getting:
[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Silmarillion-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0618391118/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387245091"]The Silmarillion Illustrated by Ted Nasmith HC 2nd Editiion[/ame] - Houghton Mifflin
But once again I would like some feedback as to the content of the Deluxe edition by Harper Collins to know if it's worth tracking down.

There you have it! Feedback welcome!

Looks like you have a nice collection going, especially the signed one.

My Hobbit/LOTR collection are the Ballantine paperbacks with the gold slipcase, late 70's. These I've had since I was a kid. I got a copy of the Silmarillion of eBay years ago, HC first American edition also late 70's. Worn but still nice, no dustcover. Has a foldout map in the back that surprisingly big. I've read these books a lot. Every other Tolkien consist of various paperbacks from the 80's on up.

I've always had my eye on this set from the Folio Society.

001264_2.jpg

They also released The Hobbit and The Silmarillion.

That's a nice looking set. :rock I will say I really like the set that I got from the UK just recently.

Great covers for sure! However I'm looking more for the definitive content but if cover looks cool all the better.

I ended up ordering the Deluxe Harped Collins (not Limited because $$$) of Hobbit, LotR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin and Unfinished Tales from Amazon UK.
Kind of my Christmas present to myself.

That set I posted above is cool because they are coverless, clothbound books like they made decades ago.

Back