33 Years ago!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it sad that this tread exists yet no thread was made for yesterday.

A true music legend. :clap

I know he wrote many great songs but this is my favourite Beatles song (apart from the obvious choices):

[ame]https://youtu.be/0sc0L1UoO1M[/ame]

Last edited:
I love the Beatles. A band I have never tired off. To many amazing songs to pick a favourite but this is one I find myself listening to a lot

[ame]https://youtu.be/2a6slIi7TbY[/ame]

Still missed to this day.:monkey2 Paul's song for John still brings tears. Nobody like The Beatles.[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjwnWU6OsaI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjwnWU6OsaI[/ame]

I remember once reading a musician saying there are two kinds of people in rock: those who rip off The Beatles and those who don't know they are ripping off The Beatles. I recall it was in reference to the pop artists of today who don't know how the foundation of rock music was built.

I remember once reading a musician saying there are two kinds of people in rock: those who rip off The Beatles and those who don't know they are ripping off The Beatles. I recall it was in reference to the pop artists of today who don't know how the foundation of rock music was built.
lennon said all his songs were nothing more than rip-offs of chuck berry; nothing could surpass Maybelline.

Genius: an exceptional natural capacity of intellect, especially as shown in creative and original work in science, art, music, etc.:

2 geniuses in 1 band. 2 top level vocalists in one band. The 2 best pop songwriters ever in 1 band. McCartney the consummate craftsman and Lennon, the unbridled genius. I would suppose Lennon had the higher IQ but I personally prefer the ballads and melodies of McCatrney (here there and everywhere, melody for in my life, fool on the hill, for no one, of course Yesterday)

I was in junior high when Lennon was killed. It was as big as Elvis' death.

Sadly George Harrison is always overlooked as a creative force. Perhaps the Beatles themselves undervalued him, but after the Beatles his early years as a solo artist were more successful than John or Paul.

I'm one of the few people who prefers their songs before Sgt. Pepper.

Rubber Soul was really the line dividing the Fab 4 era from the psychedelic. The thing that's remarkable about the Beatles is between the time from when they became famous until they broke up was only 10 years. During that time they put out 13 studio albums. NOBODY today does that. Their entire evolution from the kids on Ed Sullivan to the role models for the hippie generation took place during this brief period. The world changed and they were driving.

I was in junior high when Lennon was killed. It was as big as Elvis' death.

Sadly George Harrison is always overlooked as a creative force. Perhaps the Beatles themselves undervalued him, but after the Beatles his early years as a solo artist were more successful than John or Paul.

So true.

Rubber Soul was really the line dividing the Fab 4 era from the psychedelic. The thing that's remarkable about the Beatles is between the time from when they became famous until they broke up was only 10 years. During that time they put out 13 studio albums. NOBODY today does that. Their entire evolution from the kids on Ed Sullivan to the role models for the hippie generation took place during this brief period. The world changed and they were driving.

IMO, Rubber Soul (the American version) was their best album.

Back in the 60's, a lot of albums were only about 30 minutes in length. As time went on, that changed. What's bad is today with iTunes and iPods a lot of these popular "artists" now just put out a CD with a couple of good songs and all the rest are filler. They know that most people will just get the popular songs from iTunes so they don't put the effort into them like groups used to. Only die hard fans will buy the CDs. These are usually singers and groups I avoid all together anyway, but they're usually at the top of the charts and at the Grammy's these days.

StonesBeatles.jpg

Those 13 albums are what made them the greatest rock n roll band ever. Before that, they were a great pop band. They're still the best today because pop bands can't do that anymore.

I was in kindergarten when it happened. I remember hearing about it on the news. I knew who The Beatles were, but I after his murder, I learned what they meant. I'd never seen the whole world get upset over one person dying. It left an impression. My mom's youngest sister was 18 in '80. She had the article from the Boston Globe pinned on her wall (which were already covered with Beatles art). That brought the whole thing home.

To this day it's the celebrity death that gets me the most. John F. Kennedy. Mother Theresa. Nelson Mandela. Nope. John Lennon is the one I'd want back if there was a way.

I've seen Pink Floyd perform in concert. I've seen Rodger Waters perform The Wall. It makes me sad I'll never see The Beatles.

I don't remember the day he died but I do remember the day after. I was home sick from school and going through my oldest brothers comic collection and just recall thinking he was a great leader or something. In my young mind I think I had him confused with JFK or someone of that stature.

I reckon I have read just about every book worth reading on the subject of JL.

I'm one of the few people who prefers their songs before Sgt. Pepper.

Sgt.Pepper is great but its not even in my top 5 Beatles albums.

Rubber Soul, Revolver and the White Album always jostle for the top spot as my favorite, but really I think its Rubber Soul if I had to pick.
Those three and Abbey Road and Help! are my favorites. But I really love all their stuff, it just depends in what I'm in the mood for. Right behind those would be A Hard Days Night, Sgt.Pepper and MMT. Let it Be is a great album but its utterly depressing, and for good reason. It was all falling apart by that point. Thankfully they they got back together one last tine and made a much more pleasant album in Abbey Road, even though it was released before Let it Be its their last album and I listen to it as such. Oh, and Let it Be....Naked is the only way to listen to that album. I remember doing a jig when I heard they were going to release the pre-Spector version.

Anyway, Lennon, really sad stuff. Plus, its eerie learning about his last day, the recording, the things he said in his last interview. Such a pity. The Beatles are my favorite band but as far as solo stuff I like Georges early stuff moreso than either Lennon or Paul. And if I had to pick who I could hang out with for a day? Without a doubt,Ringo.

I really didn't plan on posting that much. :lol Got carried away.
Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Back