Amazon.com's planned use of Drones?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
which reminds me....

its almost 2014 and skynet is still at beta phase. wasssup wid dat?

I foresee myself investing in a rifle to shoot me down some drones and score some sweet loot.

I wonder if they'll just throw them over the fence or just drop them from the sky.

There goes my new flat screen! BOOOOOOM!

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force...as if a million postal employees suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced...."

Which is why something like this will never be approved to replace postal workers. Replacing hundreds of thousands of workers overnight won't and can't afford to happen.

^they have anti-theft counter measures.

a buggy version of....

20100204104618!Terminator.jpg

I think its neat to deliver small packages but the cost for this will be high.

would never happen, it's just not realistic. Sure it's possible to do, but the cost just to maintain hundreds or thousands of these things would no doubt exceed the cost of simple shipping. Then you have dumbasses that will either be following these to steal packages or try and shoot or steal these drones. Now, making robots to deliver mail and replace postal employees, that's more realistic than this.

unrealistic as flying cars. sure the tech is here but making it work is unlikely.

these drones have to be able to read the address number and more likely a flying hazard.

maybe in 20 yrs, where everyone gets a bar code on the back of our neck with GPS capability.

This is a god-awful idea. The logical concern is the inevitable failure of one or more machines and subsequent decapitation (or at the very least, injury) of customers. Property is at risk too.
Even if precautions are taken and redundant motors are used as back-up, there's still the impracticality of dropping off a package in the middle of someone's yard where it can be more prone to theft as opposed to dropping it at the door tucked into an entryway corner.

How this ever got past the lunch tables at Amazon HQ is beyond me.

How is that successfully being done? In Australia, it isn't being done, just hoping to be done. In china, doing one or two packages doesn't make it successful either. This is a dumb idea that will never happen, especially with a huge company like amazon that ships hundreds of packages daily. Doing one or two deliveries weekly or maybe one a day, sure, but hundreds a day? No way.

This is a god-awful idea. The logical concern is the inevitable failure of one or more machines and subsequent decapitation (or at the very least, injury) of customers. Property is at risk too.
Even if precautions are taken and redundant motors are used as back-up, there's still the impracticality of dropping off a package in the middle of someone's yard where it can be more prone to theft as opposed to dropping it at the door tucked into an entryway corner.

How this ever got past the lunch tables at Amazon HQ is beyond me.

It sounds like an awesome idea (as an idea), I don't know if it'll be done because it's not really practical. But a lot of the concerns are the same with a delivery truck, if not more so.
For instance, a truck can cause a lot more damage than a drone, and people can still follow a UPS driver and rob them, or follow to where they drop the package and take it after they leave.

Back