Re: Hot Toys MMS Iron Man Mark XXI-MIDAS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
Re: Hot Toys MMS Iron Man Mark XXI-MIDAS

One of the Hot Toys summer Toy Fair exclusives was one of the many Iron Man suits seen in the final scenes of Iron Man 3. Part of the "House Party protocol," the Mark XXI flew to the rescue of Tony Stark and Col. Rhodes. At least that is what we're told. I've gone through the scene frame by frame and I can't find Midas anywhere. The suit is listed in the Art of Iron Man 3 as a "High Altitude" suit - and appears to be one of about 4 of the Iron Legion that are just repaints of the Mark VII.

As repaints go though, this one is pretty impressive. Some might have wished for Hot Toys to try out their diecast line with the Midas. But there are so many different shades of gold on him that it would have been a shame to do him all in a single gold color. Because of the striking look of the different shades of gold, I think HT has it over some of the other companies that are doing all metal versions of this suit.

midas10.jpg

He comes in the same type of box that we've seen from the Mark VII, although they couldn't use a picture from the film on the front (probably because they couldn't find one).

All the parts he comes with we've seen before in the Mark VII. Except the stand, which is reuse from the Stark set and many future Iron Men, I'm sure. It's a little disappointing that the stand doesn't light up. They even warn you not to try and open the battery compartment since it's not set up for lights.

midas2.jpg

midas4.jpg

I buy all the Iron Man figures that come out, but I rarely play with them much. In fiddling with this guy I was impressed with how far they've come from the first Iron Man. Making it so we can display the bent wrist shooting the repulsors is great and definitely a pose that will get used a lot.

midas5.jpg

midas9.jpg

midas3.jpg

And now the question on everyone's mind - is he just a repaint of the Mark VII?

midas11.jpg

midas12.jpg

Yes, he's a repaint. couldn't see a single newly engineered piece on him. But that is probably accurate to the film. And the multi-toned gold makes him more than JUST a repaint. He's very cool looking

midas15.jpg

I very rarely comment about price - it's pointless to argue - and this guy is sure to be extremely rare. Sideshow will sell him for $299.99. A an item is worth what someone will pay for it and I have a feeling this little guy is going to be worth $299.99 to a lot of people.

More pics here:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/blog.php?b=773

Back