A Detolf by any other name would smell as sweet

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Username

Last Son Of Krypton
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Member of the UK facebook page went into Ikea today to buy a detolf and was told they are discontinued.
Still available to buy online in the UK, and only THREE(Out of eighteen stores in the UK), have any stock left.
One store has one left, one has five left, and the other has fifteen.
Of course, it's entirely possibly they are sourcing new parts. Lockable doors, and moveable shelves, etc, and we are about to be handed the new "Detolg" cabinet.
But if not...
Buy em while you can.

Last edited:
Re: Detolfs discontinued?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

I went to buy one on the weekend, but they didn't have any in stock at Bristol.

From Ikeas website. Should be in stock around 11th - 18th Dec

Chicken+Little+Sky+Falling.jpg

Ikea has screwed me over 3 times by discontinuing a product that I needed - the corner Billy, the short shelves for Framsta and a great modular metal and glass thingie.

Detolf already has leg and adjustable support options - the IKEA store should be full of materials for this. They're sold separately, but there's no shortage of options.

Adjustable shelves would require a different rail construction/setup - it would not be possible to keep it as simple as it is now. Part of the beauty of such a cabinet is the even division of the shelves, but obviously everyone has different requirements.

I think the two best/top changes they can possibly make are a tighter fitting door, possibly with a soft plastic seal, and including a lock as standard.

With regards to discontinuation, IKEA's standard practise is to release something and then cost reduce it through multiple production iterations. Detolf is already about as low as you can go with this design. The biggest cost savings would come from reducing the thickness of the glass, but that would be problematic with panes this big. Next is wooden and veneer components. The top and base are already made out of particle board and can't likely be changed over to the cheaper honeycomb construction. The veneer is already IKEA's bottom of the line. Not really anything left to cost reduce this baby. The next step is phasing it out once margins begin to shrink due to increasing costs of materials. Who knows what will happen. It's certainly possible a new design will debut for a similar cabinet at a higher price point, increasing the veneer quality, better rails, aluminum or polished steel back corner supports, sealed door, larger glass panels, etc. I can see that going to $150+ unfortunately.

Last edited:
Back