Universal could be building a Marvel-style "universe" for its classic monsters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Universal could be building a Marvel-style "universe" for its classic monsters

Funny, first thing that came to my mind when I saw this was Monster Squad, which already did this. If the screen writer behind Van Helsing and the Mummy movies is involved, then I probably won't even bother renting any of these, should it pan out.

Re: Universal could be building a Marvel-style "universe" for its classic monsters

Funny, first thing that came to my mind when I saw this was Monster Squad, which already did this. If the screen writer behind Van Helsing and the Mummy movies is involved, then I probably won't even bother renting any of these, should it pan out.

Universal was doing this looooooooooooong before Monster Squad, with their "vs" and "House of" films. :wave :lol

There were a couple of crossovers I am aware of, but no "all monsters together on the screen at once movie." If I'm wrong please post a link. I would love to see it.

--edit: I guess this is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Frankenstein_(1944_film)

Yes AND HOUSE OF DRACULA, and ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN. If I'm not mistaken, FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN is the first crossover movie.

There were a couple of crossovers I am aware of, but no "all monsters together on the screen at once movie." If I'm wrong please post a link. I would love to see it.

--edit: I guess this is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Frankenstein_(1944_film)

Yeah, there's a bunch. The "House of" usually had a few of the UM's in them. It's not like this is some OMFG WOW! new concept. They were doing it before The Wizard of Oz introduced the concept of color into movies. :lol

Nope. Nothing new here at all. And they tried to do it again with Van Helsing, but that didn't work out so well. If memory serves, they'd planned out a trilogy and a TV show for that universe. But then people saw the movie ... and ... well ... you know.

But if they did it right this time, there's a chance it could work. Step One: Do not hire Steven Sommers.

Why Rebooting The Universal Monsters Is A Dumb Idea | Badass Digest

The true appeal of these characters is probably lost on them unless they choose to go with the classic designs.

Honestly, though not Universal, I thought Coppola's Dracula and Branagh's Frankenstein were clever reboots of the characters. They were smart updates of the monsters, but closer to the source material.

Last edited:

I wish this happened, I love the monsters so I would love to see what they had planned.

but I really don't think it would be a success. Specially because Van Helsing ruined any chance this could be taken seriously.

I really don't get how Stephen Sommers was even allowed to do that crap he did. Why does he get work at all?
he crapped all over Universal's monsters. How they thought that movie was a good idea just baffles me. wtf. Van Helsing to me was like if the guys that made Disaster Movie (or Epic movie) if those guys tried to do a Monsters' parody, you would get Van Helsing.

but, anyway, The only way this could work is if it is completely serious and not campy at all.

I am curious about their reboot of Van Helsing though, I want to see what they do

Last edited:

Words can't express how much I love Monster Squad. :rock as a child it was everything I wanted in a movie.

Honestly, though not Universal, I thought Coppola's Dracula and Branagh's Frankenstein were clever reboots of the characters. They were smart updates of the monsters, but closer to the source material.

While closer to the source material than previous movies, neither were truly faithful adaptations. Frankenstein in particular would be great if it stuck to the book more closely.

I do agree though, both were great movies, Dracula in particular.

what do you guys think about the "monster squad" of this generation?

hotel_transylvania_13.jpg

what do you guys think about the "monster squad" of this generation?

hotel_transylvania_13.jpg

I think it fits right in with Monster High (which my daughter loves), as a gateway to the classics for the kids of this generation.

I liked it a lot. It was funny, Some people hate it but like you said, a getway to the classics.

I liked it a lot. It was funny, Some people hate it but like you said, a getway to the classics.

Yup, I didn't think it would work, but because my daughter's favorite Monster High character is Franky Stein, she sat through both Frankenstein and Bride... and ENJOYED them! :yess: :lol

Back