Penny Dreadful/Showtime

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

averagejo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a duplicate thread.

I saw this last night while watching Dexter. Looked interesting.
Its going to be a new series on Showtime.

https://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=109310

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VWxT6GJyTM&sns=em[/ame]

Did anyone see the original movie?

pennydreadful_l200611151641.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think Penny Dreadful the movie from Afterdark, has anything to do with this.

The showtime series is about classic characters from literature.

I don't think Penny Dreadful the movie from Afterdark, has anything to do with this.

Oh, I see. I remember seeing Penny Dreadful advertised as on of the 8 films to die for so I just assumed it was the same.
I'm going to check it out when it comes out next year.

That's good because I didn't like the movie. Was a good concept just didn't like the execution.

Has anyone seen the first episode yet? You can watch it ON DEMAND right now like I just did before Sunday's premiere if you've got Showtime. If you love Hammer Horror, Universal monsters, or Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and all of the books those characters come from, do yourself a favor and check this out. I dug the hell out of it and will becoming back for more. Its was so damn fun watching this.

If you have DirectTV, they are doing a free Showtime weekend this weekend in order to see this. I am curious about this show.

Yeah, for anyone wants to know, you can watch it for free and unedited on YouTube. Because of its mature content, though, if you don't have one, you'll need to create a YouTube account in order to view it.

As for what I thought, I think it was a case of the marketing doing the show a disservice. I got a weird, American Horror Story-esqu, psycho-sexual vibe off of the trailers, but the first episode, at least, was brilliant. As a fan of those classic monsters, it was awesome to see them building some of them up.

If you have DirectTV, they are doing a free Showtime weekend this weekend in order to see this. I am curious about this show.

This show is awesome because it takes stuff we have seen too many times, stuff that has become stale and boring and re-energized it in such a way that all of it feels like you are seeing it for the first time. The ending to the first episode plays on a scene that was written almost two centuries ago and adapted so many times for television and the big screen over the last 70 years that it had become almost cliche in a way because all the life had been drained out of it somehow, do to it being done again and again, each time a little less powerful, a little less relevant. But my God. The way that scene goes down as the crescendo to that first episode makes it resonate with a power and an emotion like that if you are reading it or watching it unfold for the first time in your life. And as an homage to the source material where this scene comes from, its damn near pitch perfect. Penny Dreadful, I have to say, does for classic horror, what True Detective did for pulpy detective thrillers--making the ordinary become extraordinarily artful. I don't know if it can maintain the same power that True Detective did over eight episodes or go the same places, but so far Penny Dreadful is off to an unbelievably amazing start.

Yeah, for anyone wants to know, you can watch it for free and unedited on YouTube. Because of its mature content, though, if you don't have one, you'll need to create a YouTube account in order to view it.

As for what I thought, I think it was a case of the marketing doing the show a disservice. I got a weird, American Horror Story-esqu, psycho-sexual vibe off of the trailers, but the first episode, at least, was brilliant. As a fan of those classic monsters, it was awesome to see them building some of them up.

I think the brilliance of that episode comes from John Logan and Sam Mendes. Hey, if they can make a great Bond film, they sure as Hell can make a great horror series.

Absolutely, and I agreed entirely with your first post, as well. That final moment was just beautiful.

Spoiler Spoiler:

As I said, though, I do feel that the trailers did the show an injustice, though. They did a good job of touting the Mendes/Logan presence, but it made the show itself seem almost too flashy, if you know what I mean. I can't wait to see more, but I hope they can maintain the level of quality this first episode had.

I've been very much interested in this show since the first trailer. Judging by your reviews and judgements on it, I'm even more excited. I won't have showtime for a couple weeks, is there another place I could watch it? I usually use hbo go for those shows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have this on my DVR but won't get a chance to watch it until later in the weekend. I've got high hopes for it--sounds like I won't be disappointed.

I've been very much interested in this show since the first trailer. Judging by your reviews and judgements on it, I'm even more excited. I won't have showtime for a couple weeks, is there another place I could watch it? I usually use hbo go for those shows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said earlier, the first episode is on YouTube, full and unedited. You just need to create an account, if you don't have one, and sign in. Hope that helps!:hi5:

Since the first episode, technically, doesn't air until Sunday night, you should be good. I'd assume that, if you don't have Showtime by the time episode 2 airs, they'll probably have an encore prior to the third episodeon the same day, which, if you're only waiting a couple weeks, should air right around the time that you get Showtime.

Absolutely, and I agreed entirely with your first post, as well. That final moment was just beautiful.

Spoiler Spoiler:

As I said, though, I do feel that the trailers did the show an injustice, though. They did a good job of touting the Mendes/Logan presence, but it made the show itself seem almost too flashy, if you know what I mean. I can't wait to see more, but I hope they can maintain the level of quality this first episode had.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back