BESTA, white or black?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BESTA in white or black?

• White

Votes: 71 45.2%
  • Black

Votes: 79 50.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters

optimus

Super Freak
Reaction score
What do you guys think..?
Should I get the BESTA in black or white?

I used to own a few BESTA units in black (see my collection thread, link in signature) but was thinking about switching to white...

If you have BESTA units in white, please post pictures here :hi5: :pray:

White look awe full and look too much I've kitchen units
They really do look bad.
Suppose they would be brighter inside to shock your figures more.
But if they are in your living room they will just look out of place unless you paint your whole living room with bright cold colours and have bright flooring.
It would look like a laboratory then.
I would use the money to but more figures or statues and keep the black version you have.

Besta comes in Black-Brown which is quite different than black, but if you have any previous units you already know what they look like.

My best advice: Plan to decorate, decorate to plan.

Create a plan for your entire space and verify that Besta is your ideal cabinet. Then decide what you want the whole room to look like and finally pick the cabinet color that fits into your vision and integrate it with the room.

Black or white is kind of a pointless question because both can be great and both can be bad if used incorrectly. Almost everything IKEA does is always very contemporary, including the Besta design, allowing you to create very current and fashionable designs.

White living rooms have always been in style and that will continue into the foreseeable future. The colors are timeless, so it's all up to your personal preference how you want to stage the room. For inspiration hit Google images and Flickr and search for things like "white cabinets" "black cabinets" "white living room" "black living room" etc… You can also view all the images in the Besta thread here in the forum as there are plenty of white and black-brown examples. You may even end up mixing both color options.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses!

Let me clarify:
I do not currently own any BESTA units.
And perhaps I should rephrase my question to:
Which color will make my collection "pop" more; white or black?

I don't think you can ever go wrong with the Black-brown, where the white needs more planning and work for the rest of the room in terms of integration and cohesiveness.

BLACK/BROWN FTW!!!
Some say the items 'stand out more' in the white units but I think something well lit in a black/brown unit looks much better.
At the end of the day, like everything else, it's down to personal preference.

I don't have them yet either because i need to rebuild my room but i'm going for white besta's because they really pop out your collectibles and you don't see much dust on them.

Few examples:

IMG_1038.jpg

_3267343_zps0d08e3fb.jpg

img1562rm.jpg

This last picture you cant compare them a little:

img1414a.jpg

Besta comes in Black-Brown which is quite different than black, but if you have any previous units you already know what they look like.

My best advice: Plan to decorate, decorate to plan.

Create a plan for your entire space and verify that Besta is your ideal cabinet. Then decide what you want the whole room to look like and finally pick the cabinet color that fits into your vision and integrate it with the room.

Black or white is kind of a pointless question because both can be great and both can be bad if used incorrectly. Almost everything IKEA does is always very contemporary, including the Besta design, allowing you to create very current and fashionable designs.
:goodpost::exactly::lecture

White look awe full and look too much I've kitchen units
They really do look bad.
Suppose they would be brighter inside to shock your figures more.
But if they are in your living room they will just look out of place unless you paint your whole living room with bright cold colours and have bright flooring.
It would look like a laboratory then.
I would use the money to but more figures or statues and keep the black version you have.

These hardly look like kitchen cabinets. To me it looks like a museum of awesomeness. Clean and sharp. White all the way!
f85215c4788ed81296477c24e4cddbb4_zpse0cdaf57.jpg

14ff1d73cb982af045d71dcfda6a10ae_zpscdecaa97.jpg

f31dd6450a69976b71d104d393da3b77_zps58fa7544.jpg

63065a83087533fbe940ee5a9af5deb2_zps4df375e6.jpg

a3698080b0b9b8219a2690d56aba59be_zpsc06d7863.jpg

6a5a8a3526c049380ce473526ba52cd7_zps048840be.jpg

^ Very nice but a bit clinical for my liking.
Quite surprised white is kicking black/browns arse in the poll :dunno

Can I suggest these to finish off your fine display...

w70d1d.jpg

It's getting more and more difficult for me to decide...
In my mind it was a slam-dunk for the white BESTAs, but after going back through my own display-thread and seeing all the pics posted here... They both look good but in their own distinct way.

A well-lit black/brown looks very cool in a dark room, looks more "dramatic"...
The white ones look more "clean" and "sharp" however.
More like a museum-like setup. The light is distributed more evenly thanks to the white insides.

Difficult to say the least! :gah:

It's getting more and more difficult for me to decide...
In my mind it was a slam-dunk for the white BESTAs, but after going back through my own display-thread and seeing all the pics posted here... They both look good but in their own distinct way.

A well-lit black/brown looks very cool in a dark room, looks more "dramatic"...
The white ones look more "clean" and "sharp" however.
More like a museum-like setup. The light is distributed more evenly thanks to the white insides.

Difficult to say the least! :gah:

I have my Bestas in a room dedicated to my collections and watching films, the curtains are never opened. As you said that is a dark room so the dark Besta suits it more. The white would be too 'in your face'.
I'm redecorating the room black & deep red soon which will look sweet.
Depends on what you're displaying, decor and style of the room, lighting and taste.

Surely it all comes down to personal preference?! :dunno From the pics we've seen so far in this thread we can see that displaying your pieces in both colours look just as awesome as each other imo...

My personal choice would be black as that is the colour i use when i build my display cases...however, white can work just as good...

Does the white BESTA have any wood-grain pattern or is it just plain white?
I seem to recall some pattern on the black/brown one...

Back