DCCU (DC Cinematic Universe)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen Mutiny

Super Freak
Reaction score
Discuss all things related to the new DCCU here. This thread is for the DC Cinematic Universe in general. We have existing threads for movies that have already been announced or released, but I didn't want to overwhelm the Man of Steel and Man of Steel 2 threads with unrelated posts.

I'll kick it off with a link to a suggested casting article:

https://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/08/justice-league-tk/68833/

I don't agree with all of their choices, but there are some good ones there.

Some of those casting choices aren't bad. Glad to see Holloway getting a nod there. By all rights, he SHOULD be Gambit!

I think DC should try to do one or two more key movies before throwing all the characters into the Justice League. It's important to make sure that the DC superheroes get some sort of "traction" going into a big blockbuster like Justice League much like The Avengers did. I would say one of the key reasons why the Avengers turned out to be a huge success with all the big bucks is BECAUSE Marvel let most of the key characters stand by themselves and develop in their own movies.

For all intensive purposes, I think a "Wonder Woman" movie is key. Much like the "Big 3" of the Avengers are Iron Man, Thor and Cap, the big 3 of the JL are Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman. Those three characters should be "established" going into Justice League much like Iron Man, Cap and Thor already were going into Avengers.

Here's one key I think DC is going for: Affleck's Batman.

It's rumored he's signed to multiple appearances right? Then there you go. Much like Jackson's Nick Fury shows up in the Phase 1/Phase 2 flicks, BATMAN will be the one who shows up in all the Justice League build-ups. Is it copying the MCU? Yes a little, but DC's cash-cow is Batman and by attaching Batman to a Wonder Woman flick, you have the anticipation of that encounter PLUS attracting the crowds who want to see Bats more so than Diana. Let BATMAN be the fulcrum that pulls the metahumans together.

That being said, one or two more flicks wouldn't hurt either. Maybe a "Flash" or an "Aquaman" or even a "Green Arrow/Black Canary" (who I might say WILL NOT be in a JL movie because they are too much like Hawkeye/Black Widow).

I say "The Flash". The speedster movie could really appeal all across since Flash is a humorous character while at the same time the development of his superpowers can make for a fun and entertaining flick. With Flash, you could also toss in one or two potential JLA members, like Martian Manhunter. In fact, let Manhunter's human alter-ego John Jones BE one of the main characters in "The Flash". Barry Allen was a police forensic scientist right? Well why not have John Jones BE one of the detectives in that same police department? Have him be one of Flash's BEST friends. Allen just doesn't know he's an alien.

Oh, and here's my ideas for a follow-up to Man of Steel 2. It could be considered a Trinity movie, but will include other characters:

Batman and Superman have settled their differences in MoS2, just as everyone expects, and have agreed to work together.

A Wonder Woman origin story would preferably come before this. A Flash origin story could come before or after, as his involvement in this story is optional.

Themyscira and Atlantis both exist on this universe's Earth. They've both been masked from humanity's detection, using forcefields, for centuries. Themyscira and Atlantis have an uneasy relationship that is bordering on war. Both civilizations were founded by ancient gods (Ancient Aliens), who maintain at least a minimal presence. Aquaman and Wonder Woman are both human/alien hybrids, or genetically engineered creations. Aries (possibly in collusion with Sinestro and/or members of the New Gods) is actually behind the increased hostilities between Themyscira and Atlantis. The increasing hostilities lead to confrontations that compromise the force fields that hide both civilizations from humanity. Hal Jordan is among the fighter pilots sent to investigate. This turn of events has also attracted the attention of Earth's Green Lantern, Abin Sur. Both Hal Jordan, and Abin Sur at some point, end up crash landing on Themyscira, or nearby. Hal ends up acquiring Abin Sur's ring, and is captured by Amazons, not necessarily in that order. Batman and Superman are both dispatched, or voluntarily resolve to step in to resolve the situation. This leads to confrontations with Wonder Woman and/or Aquaman. Eventually, the future Justice League members work together to take down their common enemies. These events set the stage to make Earth's heroes aware of a greater threat from space. In light of this revelation, a redoubling of Earth's defenses ensues, hence the introduction and expansion of the Justice League.

The stage is now set for Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Justice League movies.

I figured it would be best to launch Wonder Woman and Aquaman in the same film, or at least have an interrelated story, so they don't have to spend more than one movie explaining the idea of two different lost civilizations at sea that no one has ever known about. They could even put them both in the Bermuda Triangle to wrap it up a little nicer. Plus, the Ancient Aliens angle ties them both together well, and can be expanded to include Shazam and Black Adam later on, as Egypt has always been a hotbed for Ancient Alien myths. This also works well with the established world of MoS, which was a completely realistic world, other than the alien involvement.

Hal Jordan's involvement is optional, as I kind of have him filling in for Steve Trevor (see the 2009 Wonder Woman animated origin story). I also figured you could do a nice little nod to Wonder Woman's invisible jet by having Themyscira defended by fighter jets equipped with cloaking devices. Also, I figured it would be a nice way to relaunch Green Lantern and still use Hal Jordan, while maintaining a healthy distance from the Ryan Reynolds film. I do take a few liberties with his origin, him being a fighter pilot rather than a test pilot (he could be both, I suppose), and also having a direct involvement in the events leading to him acquiring the ring, rather than it seeking him out, halfway across the world. Also, this would give Hal and Abin Sur a little 'war movie' bonding time, and allows Hal to visibly earn the ring by helping a wounded Abin Sur through a war zone and saving his skin a few times before Abin ultimately succumbs to his injuries, and passes the (well-deserved, by that point) ring on to Hal. Plus, it would give us a more mature, responsible, heroic Hal, who is actually more believable as an experienced, accomplished, military officer, rather than Reynolds' immature, man-child portrayal.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Looks like we're both on the same track Zen!

I think it's key to tie some of the OTHER main characters into the "Trinity" movies since it appears that DC is going that route. Obviously, they want the JL movie sooner rather than later so tossing the secondary JL characters in MoS/Batman and a potential Wonder Woman movie will help achieve some audience familiarity.

Looks like we're both on the same track Zen!

I think it's key to tie some of the OTHER main characters into the "Trinity" movies since it appears that DC is going that route. Obviously, they want the JL movie sooner rather than later so tossing the secondary JL characters in MoS/Batman and a potential Wonder Woman movie will help achieve some audience familiarity.

Yeah, I just hope that they don't ditch Aquaman completely, when there is such a perfect opportunity to launch him alongside, or directly following, Wonder Woman. That kills two of DC's most difficult characters with one stone. I'd probably save Martian Manhunter for a little later, maybe introducing him in a following Green Lantern movie, or at the end of the first Justice League, depending on how well they lay down the groundwork up to that point.

I would also say that it's likely we won't see the Green Arrow/Black Canary combo. From a distant standpoint, the two of those instantly relate to the Hawkeye/Black Widow pair we see in the Avengers.

I think you'll see a Justice League roster like this:

-Superman
-Batman
-Wonder Woman
-The Flash
-Martian Manhunter
-Cyborg
-Aquaman

I would like Green Lantern in there as well, but I think they'll stick the alien "spacecop" theme onto Martian Manhunter. Especially after the unfortunate "Green Lantern" movie, DC might be wise to rethink the strategy with that.

If they do bring in Lantern, they should recast the role. Much like Marvel has done with Bruce Banner (MCU version was originally Norton before becoming Ruffalo).

I would also say that it's likely we won't see the Green Arrow/Black Canary combo. From a distant standpoint, the two of those instantly relate to the Hawkeye/Black Widow pair we see in the Avengers.

I think you'll see a Justice League roster like this:

-Superman
-Batman
-Wonder Woman
-The Flash
-Martian Manhunter
-Cyborg
-Aquaman

I would like Green Lantern in there as well, but I think they'll stick the alien "spacecop" theme onto Martian Manhunter. Especially after the unfortunate "Green Lantern" movie, DC might be wise to rethink the strategy with that.

If they do bring in Lantern, they should recast the role. Much like Marvel has done with Bruce Banner (MCU version was originally Norton before becoming Ruffalo).

Nah, they'll New 52 it:

Superman
Batman
Wonderwoman
The Flash
Green Lantern
Cyborg
Aquaman

Martian Manhunter will get the shaft for Cyborg. If you want proof, just look at MoS's outfit. That was New 52 inspired all the way. No reason they'll ditch something new for a good old classic right now :slap

I think they'll make the roster with only 6 characters

I see Cyborg getting the axe from that list

the best thing DC can do is to really embrace their characters larger than life appearance

Marvel has always lead a 'this world with super powered people' approach

DC has always been representative of the real world and their characters often the archetype hero

So while Marvel is using SHIELD as the glue for it's characters in the MCU to try and ground it an espionage reality, DC could go ***** to the walls mythological

And I think they should, it would be a great contrast and really separate them from MCU, which is going to draw comparisons

I think they'll make the roster with only 6 characters

I see Cyborg getting the axe from that list

the best thing DC can do is to really embrace their characters larger than life appearance

Marvel has always lead a 'this world with super powered people' approach

DC has always been representative of the real world and their characters often the archetype hero

So while Marvel is using SHIELD as the glue for it's characters in the MCU to try and ground it an espionage reality, DC could go ***** to the walls mythological

And I think they should, it would be a great contrast and really separate them from MCU, which is going to draw comparisons

You're missing one very important aspect. They'll want a multi-ethnic JLA. Not too sure Martian Manhunter would fit that demographic as even being a black actor (most likely), he's green. So it'll either be Cyborg or they'll roll with John Stewart as Green Lantern. Cyborg is more likely though, since he's a fresh character and not as big of a WTF to the non-initiated as Stewart's GL would be.

Last edited:
You're missing one very important aspect. They'll want a multi-ethnic JLA. Not too sure Martian Manhunter would fit that demographic as even being a black actor (most likely), he's green. So it'll either be Cyborg or they'll roll with John Stewart as Green Lantern. Cyborg is more likely though, since he's a fresh character and not as big of a WTF to the non-initiated as Stewart's GL would be.

:exactly:

Plus, with Cyborg being in TT Go! he has huge recognition even with very young fans.

My daughter can only name a few superheroes and Cyborg is one of them.

review_dcuc111_9.jpg

If this guy makes it into the DC Cinematic Universe, I will be able to die happy. Anyone else have a 'dark horse candidate' who you hope makes the cut?

If Martian Manhunter shows up they should get Benedict Cumberbatch.

He already looks like a martian. :lecture

If Martian Manhunter shows up they should get Benedict Cumberbatch.

He already looks like a martian. :lecture

I don't know if Martian Manhunter would allow him to flex his manic muscles. Benedict is best when you let him go over the top. It might be interesting, though. Personally, I would prefer MM be more of a serene and mysterious figure, kind of like 'The Hatian' from Heroes.

the-haitian.png

Hell, someone once said that Hamm could be Martian Manhunter...I could certainly see him having the "John Jones" detective aspect down, but I can't say I see him as being Martian Manhunter. I've always been partial to Giancarlo Esposito. Gustavo Fring had a very alien quality to him.

Hell, someone once said that Hamm could be Martian Manhunter...I could certainly see him having the "John Jones" detective aspect down, but I can't say I see him as being Martian Manhunter. I've always been partial to Giancarlo Esposito. Gustavo Fring had a very alien quality to him.

I could see that.

Oh, and here's my ideas for a follow-up to Man of Steel 2. It could be considered a Trinity movie, but will include other characters:

Batman and Superman have settled their differences in MoS2, just as everyone expects, and have agreed to work together.

A Wonder Woman origin story would preferably come before this. A Flash origin story could come before or after, as his involvement in this story is optional.

Themyscira and Atlantis both exist on this universe's Earth. They've both been masked from humanity's detection, using forcefields, for centuries. Themyscira and Atlantis have an uneasy relationship that is bordering on war. Both civilizations were founded by ancient gods (Ancient Aliens), who maintain at least a minimal presence. Aquaman and Wonder Woman are both human/alien hybrids, or genetically engineered creations. Aries (possibly in collusion with Sinestro and/or members of the New Gods) is actually behind the increased hostilities between Themyscira and Atlantis. The increasing hostilities lead to confrontations that compromise the force fields that hide both civilizations from humanity. Hal Jordan is among the fighter pilots sent to investigate. This turn of events has also attracted the attention of Earth's Green Lantern, Abin Sur. Both Hal Jordan, and Abin Sur at some point, end up crash landing on Themyscira, or nearby. Hal ends up acquiring Abin Sur's ring, and is captured by Amazons, not necessarily in that order. Batman and Superman are both dispatched, or voluntarily resolve to step in to resolve the situation. This leads to confrontations with Wonder Woman and/or Aquaman. Eventually, the future Justice League members work together to take down their common enemies. These events set the stage to make Earth's heroes aware of a greater threat from space. In light of this revelation, a redoubling of Earth's defenses ensues, hence the introduction and expansion of the Justice League.

The stage is now set for Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Justice League movies.

I figured it would be best to launch Wonder Woman and Aquaman in the same film, or at least have an interrelated story, so they don't have to spend more than one movie explaining the idea of two different lost civilizations at sea that no one has ever known about. They could even put them both in the Bermuda Triangle to wrap it up a little nicer. Plus, the Ancient Aliens angle ties them both together well, and can be expanded to include Shazam and Black Adam later on, as Egypt has always been a hotbed for Ancient Alien myths. This also works well with the established world of MoS, which was a completely realistic world, other than the alien involvement.

Hal Jordan's involvement is optional, as I kind of have him filling in for Steve Trevor (see the 2009 Wonder Woman animated origin story). I also figured you could do a nice little nod to Wonder Woman's invisible jet by having Themyscira defended by fighter jets equipped with cloaking devices. Also, I figured it would be a nice way to relaunch Green Lantern and still use Hal Jordan, while maintaining a healthy distance from the Ryan Reynolds film. I do take a few liberties with his origin, him being a fighter pilot rather than a test pilot (he could be both, I suppose), and also having a direct involvement in the events leading to him acquiring the ring, rather than it seeking him out, halfway across the world. Also, this would give Hal and Abin Sur a little 'war movie' bonding time, and allows Hal to visibly earn the ring by helping a wounded Abin Sur through a war zone and saving his skin a few times before Abin ultimately succumbs to his injuries, and passes the (well-deserved, by that point) ring on to Hal. Plus, it would give us a more mature, responsible, heroic Hal, who is actually more believable as an experienced, accomplished, military officer, rather than Reynolds' immature, man-child portrayal.

Thoughts?

That's pretty smooth and I likey the updated GL ideas, but WB already missed a huge opportunity to meaningfully integrate other DCU characters. I don't hold much hope that they'll suddenly find their feet come MOS2.

I must say that, as someone who's been catching up on reading the New 52 books, Geoff Johns is a hell of a pitch man. A lot of his stories seem somewhat rudimentary when it comes to comics, but, to be honest, they could all totally work as movies. The guy is basically doing the jobs of those in charge of "adapting" the source material.:lol

Wasn't Geoff Johns involved in the Green Lantern movie? I don't know how big of a role he played, but if he was involved in a large way, he needs to step his game up.

EDIT: Just looked it up. Guess it would have been better if he was more involved.

Back