Anyone dealt with opening an insurance claim with USPS?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Chev

Super Freak
Reaction score
I collect 3.75 Star Wars figures, and my number one modern figure I wanted was a 30th Anniversary series Darth Revan. Well I found one on ebay for a fair price, and was told and the pictures showed a mint condition figure in a Star Case. The package was insured, and when I got it the box had a stress crease in it, and inside the star case was all bent to hell. Luckily, the figure was mostly undamaged except for the bottom edges where bent. I sent the guy I bought it from pictures, and he immediately told me he would contact the USPS and let me know. Next thing I know I get a letter saying i'm to bring everything to local post office for inspecting.

So, basically some person who knows nothing about collecting is going to inspect my carded figure and star case? I bet you they tell me the star case doesn't count cause it's protection even though it was figured into the price I paid.

Anyone got any advice before I go into this?

https://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p777/TheChev1983/IMG_1816_zpsd14feeb4.jpg

I had the same thing happen to me last year. Well almost. I bought a custom piece overseas and the seller shipped my item through his normal shipping company (insured) it ended up going through USPS when it came through the states. I got it, opened it, and it was broken.

Long story short. My seller had to start the actual investigation on his side. 6 months later I got my money back, plus I got to keep my broken item.

Bottom line: I had to jump through hoops of fire to get my insurance claim. It was a nightmare, because it was an overseas deal. Your's shouldn't be as bad. My advice to you is to take a lot of pics of the damaged item, as well as the box it came in and packaging (styro, bubble wrap, etc.) make copies of all documents such as Paypal (to show item worth) etc. Don't depend on the seller to push for the insurance claim. When my seller emailed his post office they wouldn't do anything (for whatever reason), but when I called and emailed them directly, they got off their butts and filed it. 6 months later I got my money back.

One more thing. Don't leave your item with the post office. These guy's don't care and they'll just throw it around like nobody's business. Take it in for inspection but, don't leave it there.

On a side note. I love how my post office guy's face looked when he inspected my item. He was shocked that a piece of plastic could be worth over $1,200! Classic. :rotfl

Anyways, that's my story. Hope this helps you out. Good luck! :wave

I had the same thing happen to me last year. Well almost. I bought a custom piece overseas and the seller shipped my item through his normal shipping company (insured) it ended up going through USPS when it came through the states. I got it, opened it, and it was broken.

Long story short. My seller had to start the actual investigation on his side. 6 months later I got my money back, plus I got to keep my broken item.

Bottom line: I had to jump through hoops of fire to get my insurance claim. It was a nightmare, because it was an overseas deal. Your's shouldn't be as bad. My advice to you is to take a lot of pics of the damaged item, as well as the box it came in and packaging (styro, bubble wrap, etc.) make copies of all documents such as Paypal (to show item worth) etc. Don't depend on the seller to push for the insurance claim. When my seller emailed his post office they wouldn't do anything (for whatever reason), but when I called and emailed them directly, they got off their butts and filed it. 6 months later I got my money back.

One more thing. Don't leave your item with the post office. These guy's don't care and they'll just throw it around like nobody's business. Take it in for inspection but, don't leave it there.

On a side note. I love how my post office guy's face looked when he inspected my item. He was shocked that a piece of plastic could be worth over $1,200! Classic. :rotfl

Anyways, that's my story. Hope this helps you out. Good luck! :wave

Yeah, I wouldn't leave it with the Post office. As far as printing off documents, I didn't think of that, and thanks for the idea. I'll do that. It shouldn't be as bad cause I paid I think like 69 for my figure. I have about five pictures I took right after I opened the package up, but I should take more cause I kept everything.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wouldn't not leave it with the Post office. As far as printing off documents, I didn't think of that, and thanks for the idea. I'll do that. It shouldn't be as bad cause I paid I think like 69 for my figure. I have about five pictures I took right after I opened the package up, but I should take more cause I kept everything.

Pics of the condition of the shipping box and how it was originally packaged was what they were mostly after in my case. Your's maybe different but, wouldn't hurt to take a few more if your seller needs a few pics on his side.

Oh and in my situation I had my seller forward me all emails that he'd sent to his post office and I would forward the same email (with a few words from myself) to all point of contacts who were involved during the claim. It probably annoyed the crap out of them, but at least it got my claim finally settled, lol.

Hopefully, your claim will be fast and easy. :wink1:

Pics of the condition of the shipping box and how it was originally packaged was what they were mostly after in my case. Your's maybe different but, wouldn't hurt to take a few more if your seller needs a few pics on his side.

Oh and in my situation I had my seller forward me all emails that he'd sent to his post office and I would forward the same email (with a few words from myself) to all point of contacts who were involved during the claim. It probably annoyed the crap out of them, but at least it got my claim finally settled, lol.

Hopefully, your claim will be fast and easy. :wink1:

We'll see. I'm used to complications and tom foolery so I'll prepare for all possibilities.:pray:

Don't waste your time ,USPS sucks.

If you do open a claim , make sure you have tons of photos.

The person who sent it will have to file the claim , just so you know

Don't waste your time ,USPS sucks.

If you do open a claim , make sure you have tons of photos.

The person who sent it will have to file the claim , just so you know

He did. I had nothing to do with it. All I did was notify him through eBay that I got the package this way. I got the letter in the mail since I had the package and box.

Back