Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memnoch

Lt. Vulture
Reaction score
Ok, this is for Doctor Who free disscussion as I just started one for Torchwood. Be advised there be SPOILERS and I believe we should openly discuss everything up to Doomsday, the season 2 finale. Let the discussion begin!

Great thread! The first thing I gotta get off my chest is how dissapointed I was that Rose left the show and that she took Jackie and Mickey with her... :monkey2

As soon as I saw Doomsday I started searching the internet to see if her leaving at the end of season 2 was like Angle leaving at the end of Buffy's season 2 -- you know, only to return the next season. But alas... it looks like she (just like Eccleston before her) is gone for good which begs the question -- don't they have contracts over at the BBC? Typically in Hollywood I think you have to sign away like 5 - 7 years.

I can only hope season three introduces a bunch of regulars who we can follow and touch in with throughout the season. I really liked that aspect to the new Who.

Yea, I wont lie. Im a 21 year old male and I cried like a baby when the Doctor couldn't get out the words "I love you". I have to say though, the show so far has been amazing. Also the seeds were sown, intentionally or ironically, in Christmas Invasions with the warning to Harriet Jones. The Doctor said "six" three times. And we don't actually KNOW that she was removed, just that there was a vote of no confidence in her. Maybe Torchwood can shed some light?

And onto the contracts... I think they may only run on a year by year deal. David Tennant apparently already knows when he will go.

One final thing, the Face of Boe. My prediction is we will see him again this season, and his revelation will be either about getting Rose back (I can dream), or that he is not the last Time Lord after all.

....Ok I lied. I was watching Dalek again and was wondering...the Doctor said he was the cause of the death of his people AND the destruction of the Dalek fleet and "watched them burn". Perhaps he destroyed a star that somehow inadvertantly destroyed Gallifrey?

I too will think the face of boe will play a major part in the series. RTD always likes to place little crumbs here which turn out to be big chunks down the road. It would really bum me out if there were to be a new doctor again so soon. I think RTD changed to Tennant after 1 season was to have a bit of spontateous storyline and then anybody can go at anytime, which I like. I'm just scared about the BRIDE that showed up at the end of last season. I'm not familiar with british comedy, but I've heard that she is a comediene. I don't know about this, I really didn't like Rose at the beginning, but she grew on me...

congerking said:
I too will think the face of boe will play a major part in the series. RTD always likes to place little crumbs here which turn out to be big chunks down the road. It would really bum me out if there were to be a new doctor again so soon. I think RTD changed to Tennant after 1 season was to have a bit of spontateous storyline and then anybody can go at anytime, which I like. I'm just scared about the BRIDE that showed up at the end of last season. I'm not familiar with british comedy, but I've heard that she is a comediene. I don't know about this, I really didn't like Rose at the beginning, but she grew on me...

Oh i cannot stand Catherine Tate, you's are lucky that she hasn't made it across the atlantic......Yet!!!

She's just copies little britain, IMHO.

She is going to be in the xmas special.

The new girl assistant for series 3 was in a soap called crossroads i'm sure.

Love then new Who, but season two was hit or miss for me. It was waaaaay past time for Rose to go. She really grated on me this season. I also don't think she clicked with Tennant the way she did with Ecclestone

The uneven writing of their relationship also didn't help. A) "you can stay forever" b) falls in love with someone else in "Fireplace" and Rose is forgotten C) Rose is fine with this apparently, not dealt with, reset button hit in relationship--- sigh.

Also upset how superficial alot of the stories/plots were with no depth, and they felt that way. Cutting down to 45 min is not that big of an albatross. Most American shows are 45 min without commercials.

I cringe over the Doctor leving the girl as just a head, even in a comedy story. That was just dumb.

Memnoch21 said:
I think they may only run on a year by year deal. David Tennant apparently already knows when he will go.

What? Is he already talking about leaving?

pitchin said:
he's agreed 3 season but thinking of leaving after that so we have to more seasons of him yet

Thanks for the info! Well 3 seasons is a decent run then. I'm old enough to remember Colin Baker :pow and then Slvester McCoy and ... uhg... the guy who fought Eric Roberts who revealed that the Doctor is half human... :slap so I'm a bit gunshy when it comes to changing Doctors.

With regards to Catherine Tate, she has actually made it across the pond. Her show is on BBC America. I tried to watch it once, didn't like it. Caught it again, and the one I saw was a little better. Overall as long as she can play it without going over the top and acting like shes on HER show, I think she will do fine.

Also, we have alll seen the new companion in the Who-niverse before. Martha Jones will be played by the girl the Doctor saved/killed in Doomsday when he removed the Cyberman implants.

Hey incase anyone is interested, the BBC has posted a clean version of Song for 10 on their website under the 4th day of Advent!

Tennant has just been voted Best Doctor Ever - pipping Tom Baker in a survey conducted by Doctor Who magazine.

Tennant is 'Chuffed to bits' and rightly so.

I think part of why Tennant got the nod was because of the fact that he grew up wanting to be the Doctor and so he took the best bits of each Doctor and became the sum of his experiences (both his real life and Doctor watching, and also the sum of the Doctors experiences from watching the show) and then added his own personality to it. I have to say I hope he stays a good long time and I cannot wait for Christmas/Boxing Day holidays because on Christmas the BBC will air "The Runaway Bride" and then the day after, I will be searching all over for tidbits on it.

I haven't seen any of the Tennant episodes yet, but (as someon who has grown up with Doctor Who from the late 70's) its difficult to imagine a better Doctor than Tom Baker (or even Sylvester McCoy).

Ahh Pix, they've been showing them on Sci-Fi and they've started showing Series 1.. or series 27 on BBC America. I've seen alot of the older Who serials and have to say they all have their own pros and cons, but Tennant seems to really be a combination of all the past Doctors, as the character should be. The sum of over 900 years of experience.

Memnoch21 said:
Ahh Pix, they've been showing them on Sci-Fi and they've started showing Series 1.. or series 27 on BBC America. I've seen alot of the older Who serials and have to say they all have their own pros and cons, but Tennant seems to really be a combination of all the past Doctors, as the character should be. The sum of over 900 years of experience.

This quote from School Reunion sums that up:

The Doctor: I'm so old now. I used to have so much mercy. You get one warning, that was it.

Ha, when I first hit reply I was going to say I was partial to the line "No second chances, I'm that sort of a man." from Christmas Invasion but then I realized... I love EVERYTHING that comes out of Tennants mouth. He is just amazing. I can't wait to see what this season has for us though. I hope hope hope the Face of Boe finally tells his secret and it has to do with A) a way another time lord or lady survived (although unlikely as I believe the Doctor at one point said the he could sense other Time Lords and Ladys and he hadn't after the war), B) Rose can come back (for the love of GOD let Billie Pipper want to come back sometime because they were so cute together) or C) something totally off the wall but still amazing.

What I hope not to see this season, A) Martha replace Rose as more than just the current companion. B) Any familial or other wacked out connection to Capt. Jack. C) Anything that would make me scream at the TV because it isn't like the Doctor.

I can't see Martha replacing Rose in a romantic way..... at least not immediately..... Russell T Davies will want us to like the character and if he makes her the Doctor's new beau in her first series that will annoy alot of the Rose fans.

Captain Jack will apparently make a return to Dr Who in season three I've heard he's due to appear in a couple of episodes towards the end and John Barrowman has said that the season finale in Torchwood will set up his return to Who in a way that makes sense.

Billie Piper is already doing other dramas over in the UK, she has some big period drama coming out over Christmas so I doubt she's gonna be back any time soon. Maybe as a one off, although personally I hope they leave the character alone now.

Finally I've heard today that the "other" Dr Who spin off Sarah Jane Adventures will have a special on BBC One on new year's day. It will feature Elizabeth Sladen and K9 and have Samantha Bond (the actress who plays Miss Moneypenny in the James Bond flicks) as the villain. It will be more aimed towards kids than Who or Torchwood, but might still be worth checking out.

Well John Barrowman has said in an interview that Who things will cross over into Torchwood, but nothing from Torchwood will go into Who. Basically there will be no major revalations that will affect the two shows or something like that. It's all very confusing but yes, Capt Jack will be back toward the end of series 3 of Who, and also Torchwood is apparently about secrets because he said that slowly every member of Torchwood has had secrets about themselves revealed.

And about Martha v Rose, I will always and forever love Rose. Apparently Martha is attracted to the Doctor but I blieve RTD knows better than to make the Doctor just forget about about how he felt about Rose after building it up for two years. I mean he always rememered the surviors guilt for surviving the Time War. But also, RTD said don't expect the Doctor to be all angst-y during Runaway Bride. He said that was actually why Donna showed up right when she did.. so that the good Doctor didn't have time to cope with what had just happened.

Back