The Expanding Universe

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake Plissken

40s "men" still cry about being bullied here
Reaction score
Up until a few years ago, I never cared for astronomy and astrophysics and out of no where I decided to pick up a 4.5 telescope and began researching a good amount on anything I could get my hands on (and try understand) about the universe. So decided it would be a good idea to kinda of make a "Space" thread for any like minded members.

I think one of the biggest questions anyone has though to themselves about the universe as a whole is what is beyond it? There is many theories on it, that the universe is a giant sphere that pulled into a ball by the gravity of everything in it and if you flew a ship in a constant direction into space you would end up where you started.

Another theory I thought was interesting if IIRC that the universe's expansion is slowing down which could possible mean that there is outer resistance beyond the universe... but the universe has gone through fast and slow expansion periods after the Big Bang.

But this will be one of probably a billion things that humans will never be able to answer, unless we somehow manage to make a vehicle that travels 1,000's of times faster than light.

I'm a novice with Astronomy and Astrophysics probably to some guys on here, but I figured I would start a discussion :wave

I guess the fear from Intruder is that some kind of religion/science discussion will follow? Astronomy is fascinating stuff. One of the more interesting and memorable electives I took as an undergrad. Conceptualizing universal scope can be a real eye opener.

I didn't want this into mutate into a discussion on religion. I just wanted a friendly discussion on just the topic at hand.

I find it easier to grasp that were part of a multi-verse than just one universe in existence. I can't imagine reaching the "boundary" if there is one, of the universe and there is nothing on the other side. The idea that nothing existed before the Big Bang seems impossible. Which leads to theories that there was a Universe before this one that suffered a "Big Crunch" in on itself which gave birth to this one. Which leads to another idea that this has been an endless cycle which never had a beginning.

This is a good watch, shows you how insignificant and average the size of the Sun is.

[ame]https://youtu.be/HEheh1BH34Q[/ame]

Yep soon all the scientists will be here :lol

I guess the fear from Intruder is that some kind of religion/science discussion will follow?
Col-Hans-Landa-inglourious-basterds-22084256-500-213.gif

I didn't want this into mutate into a discussion on religion. I just wanted a friendly discussion on just the topic at hand.

I find it easier to grasp that were part of a multi-verse than just one universe in existence. I can't imagine reaching the "boundary" if there is one, of the universe and there is nothing on the other side. The idea that nothing existed before the Big Bang seems impossible. Which leads to theories that there was a Universe before this one that suffered a "Big Crunch" in on itself which gave birth to this one. Which leads to another idea that this has been an endless cycle which never had a beginning.
IIRC, we are in a state of contracting again which'll lead to another crunch and yet another bang.

The very thought of imagining something so vast being contracted to an infinitesimally small point boggles my mind. :gah:

The idea that mass came out of nothing boggles the mind, and it was at a single point which was what smaller than an atom? IIRC mass didn't start to form until eons after the initial Big Bang. There is also the "Big Freeze" scenario. This is definitely the offspring of another universe, or many universes.

I've always found the idea of Black Holes interesting. They're the most powerful thing in the Universe and you can't even see it unless there is something in the background. The theory is that it would distort and bend the image behind it. The idea that something can bend and eat light is crazy. You can't fathom light as a tangible medium.

The idea that mass came out of nothing boggles the mind, and it was at a single point which was what smaller than an atom? IIRC mass didn't start to form until eons after the initial Big Bang. There is also the "Big Freeze" scenario. This is definitely the offspring of another universe, or many universes.

I've always found the idea of Black Holes interesting. They're the most powerful thing in the Universe and you can't even see it unless there is something in the background. The theory is that it would distort and bend the image behind it. The idea that something can bend and eat light is crazy. You can't fathom light as a tangible medium.

I find that the main problem with the Big Bang, is that astronomers are unable to pinpoint or even estimate the region of space from where the "explosion" happened. If Newtonian physics were to hold true, then it would have been possible to perform a ballistics analysis, and trace back to the point of origin from where the explosion originated. But, that isn't even possible. As it happens, everything in the universe is actually being pulled in one direction, while galaxies are rapidly accelerating away from each other because of a mysterious phenomena called "white energy". It pretty much nullifies the "Big Crunch" theory that astrophysicists had been pushing for some time, since gravity has no effect in slowing down the Universe's expansion.

I find that the main problem with the Big Bang, is that astronomers are unable to pinpoint or even estimate the region of space from where the "explosion" happened. If Newtonian physics were to hold true, then it would have been possible to perform a ballistics analysis, and trace back to the point of origin from where the explosion originated. But, that isn't even possible. As it happens, everything in the universe is actually being pulled in one direction, while galaxies are rapidly accelerating away from each other because of a mysterious phenomena called "white energy". It pretty much nullifies the "Big Crunch" theory that astrophysicists had been pushing for some time, since gravity has no effect in slowing down the Universe's expansion.

I've been thinking about that lately, the point of origin. That's one thing for sure, that a singular point emitted the Bang. Were not even entirely sure of what the Universe's "Shape" is. We can only see what light allows. IIRC, the Galaxies furthest away are moving faster than light, but it doesn't break the law of physics since space itself is moving with it.

When you say "in one direction." What do you mean exactly? Wouldn't everything be moving in a outward direction like an explosion?

I've been thinking about that lately, the point of origin. That's one thing for sure, that a singular point emitted the Bang. Were not even entirely sure of what the Universe's "Shape" is. We can only see what light allows. IIRC, the Galaxies furthest away are moving faster than light, but it doesn't break the law of physics since space itself is moving with it.

When you say "in one direction." What do you mean exactly? Wouldn't everything be moving in a outward direction like an explosion?

Well, the Universe is expanding rapidly, while being pulled in single direction. To put it into perspective, think of an inflatable balloon that's suspended from the ground by a certain height. The balloon is then connected to a hose, and as it is being pumped full of air, it is released and allowed to drop to the ground. In other words, the balloon is expanding, while being pulled downward by Earth's gravity. That's more or less, of what's happening to the Universe. Scientists just don't know what that attractive "energy" really is.

The shape of the Universe is also another odd thing. Some scientists believe that it's flat. I think Stephen Hawking said that it's doughnut-shaped. Or, maybe that was from The Simpsons - I can't remember :lol.

It boggles the mind how crazy the Universe is. I feel faint just thinking about it sometimes :thud:

Well, the Universe is expanding rapidly, while being pulled in single direction. To put it into perspective, think of an inflatable balloon that's suspended from the ground by a certain height. The balloon is then connected to a hose, and as it is being pumped full of air, it is released and allowed to drop to the ground. In other words, the balloon is expanding, while being pulled downward by Earth's gravity. That's more or less, of what's happening to the Universe. Scientists just don't know what that attractive "energy" really is.

The shape of the Universe is also another odd thing. Some scientists believe that it's flat. I think Stephen Hawking said that it's doughnut-shaped. Or, maybe that was from The Simpsons - I can't remember :lol.

It boggles the mind how crazy the Universe is. I feel faint just thinking about it sometimes :thud:

Astrophysics boggle the mind, nothing makes any sense from experiencing Earth's physics. Hawking also thinks Black Holes could be doorways into another Universe. We'll never know what is in a Black Hole, that's why they just refer to it as the "singularity." I prefer to think of it as doughnut shaped.

Also, I tried understanding String Theory and I almost died :lol

Back