did your hot toys' batteries leak?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

did your hot toys batteries leak?

• yes.

Votes: 41 24.0%
  • no.

Votes: 97 56.7%
  • don't know, still factory sealed.

Votes: 21 12.3%
  • don't have any hot toys figures with batteries.

Votes: 12 7.0%

• Total voters

Darkmatter

Super Freak
Reaction score
seen a handful of people say their figure's batteries have leaked. i was wondering how many actually have or had that problem. is it widespread or not as common as we think?

please vote.

I think it's a valid thread, but I usually always take the batteries out of all my Collectibles that come with them. I test and make sure all the battery powered features work. Then leave them in for a few weeks to play with the powered features and take some pictures, and then after that just take them out and safely store the batteries.

I think it's a valid thread, but I usually always take the batteries out of all my Collectibles that come with them. I test and make sure all the battery powered features work. Then leave them in for a few weeks to play with the powered features and take some pictures, and then after that just take them out and safely store the batteries.

that's a good practice. i have several still factory sealed. if you open to check for leakage, it's no longer factory sealed. this prompted me to start a poll to see approximately how common the problem is.

Well, about two months ago I finally decided to take all the batteries out of my iron men. I stored them in a small plastic container, dry in a cool place. I looked yesterday and thought I was seeing things, quite a few of the larger ones had popped open completely, carbon spilling out. I've never seen that degree of decay on cell batteries..I thank my lucky stars I did take them out when I did.

This.

It's just a common sense thing.. :huh

The longer they stay in the toy, the more chance of a problem occurring. Sure, the tabs protect the compartments for a time, but eventually they'll leak - batteries obviously don't last forever.

That's precisely why if possible, you buy these battery powered things when they're released - open them, test them, then remove the batteries.

Getting anything aftermarket that hasn't been opened - especially the earlier releases, is asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned. Folks just focus on the 'new' aspect.. but with every HT figure I've bought with batteries - I've taken those precautions every time.

From what I saw some times, I'd say the batteries start to leak especially when they were disconnected for a longer time in a sealed box and when you connect them they get a little warm, which isn't unusual but as the batteries sealing already aged, this lets some of the acid come out then.

Always removed batteries like this without letting them get in contact with the figure and replaced them with new brand batteries, but I think I'll remove them all generally soon, as I don't really use the light-up features, wich is sad as they're great but I'd always ruin the poses while turning all switches on, so it isn't really fun to use the lights. :dunno

hot toys, or any collectible toys that requires battery somehow, should just include the batteries separately. As it's a collectible, there are collectors that will want a sealed package. I never get why it didn't came this way and it will save them the hassle to put in the batteries anyways :dunno

by the way, i removed the batteries from my figures as soon as i get them, after verified that all light function works.

i spent top dollar on a Mech Test Tony Stark, sure enough when I try the batteries, it doesn't work. This was just earlier this year too. I take a look and small white powder of death!!!!! Got a q-tip, read vinegar or something like that works, wiped and got a fresh set of batteries, and it all worked out!! No more leakage and even when i get new figures i test the lights and remove the batteries on the spot!

I have a bag full of hot toys Batteries that I have aquired from over the years and I would say at least half have popped open.
I take all my batteries out and always have.

I have a bag full of hot toys Batteries that I have aquired from over the years and I would say at least half have popped open.

How long did you have them before you started noticing the leakage?

I think your typical button cell battery used in these toys (such as AG1) can either be an alkaline or zinc oxide chemistry. The former tend to be cheaper, whilst zinc oxide are longer lasting. No doubt the likelihood of leaking is related to the battery chemistry and quality of the battery too. I have not had any problems with my figures, but I do use the light up features fairly regularly.

That was a BIG mistake.

You're effectively causing them to all power each other. I had this as well. After 4 - 6 days I starting hearing cracks and pop/exploding sounds. Because the batteries are all in contact with each other, they're effectively over powering themselves. Lots of popped lids. I stored the rest in a plastic container all separated. No more damage.

I have been meaning to check all of them out. I checked my Mark IV and War Machine batteries a while ago and had to change a few. I recommend everyone taking the time to go through them and seeing if the batteries are ok.

Back