Thor's and Captain America's film abilities.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodl73

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just recently watched Thor and Captain America again on DVD. First let me say I enjoyed them more and they a really good movies.
Now when I watched Thor I noticed that his abilities are depicted differently from the Avengers. In Thor he did more flying and it was more aggressive, like Superman with a hammer. When he battled the Frost giants in the Jotunheim, there was a scene where he was surrounded. He raised Mjolnir summoned some lightning and drove it into the ground causing a massive wave-like earthquake and knocked them all out. And he flew into that monster's mouth and blew out the back of its head like he was a huuman bullet. Something he could have done to one of the Leviathins in Avengers. He probably could have thrown the nuke into space since he can fly in space. In Thor he also summoned a tornado to defeat the Destroyer. The way I see it he could've held his own against the Chitauri army on his own. But he seemed toned down in Avengers.
Same with Cap. He was kicking butt in his movie. All those battles, charging into Red Skull's lair, fighting in the bomber. I mean he really demonstrated some martial arts moves, as well as put his life on the line. People who've seen Avengers and think Cap is weak need to watch the First Avenger.
Just seems IM and Hulk were the ones who weren't toned down. Hopefully in Thor 2 and Cap 2 Winter Soldier there's more butt-kicking from these 2 underrated, and underutilized heroes.

I think the big difference is that neither had to worry about collateral damage on those other battlefields.

Individual heroes abilities are always toned down in team stories.

I just recently watched Thor and Captain America again on DVD. First let me say I enjoyed them more and they a really good movies.
Now when I watched Thor I noticed that his abilities are depicted differently from the Avengers. In Thor he did more flying and it was more aggressive, like Superman with a hammer. When he battled the Frost giants in the Jotunheim, there was a scene where he was surrounded. He raised Mjolnir summoned some lightning and drove it into the ground causing a massive wave-like earthquake and knocked them all out. And he flew into that monster's mouth and blew out the back of its head like he was a huuman bullet. Something he could have done to one of the Leviathins in Avengers. He probably could have thrown the nuke into space since he can fly in space. In Thor he also summoned a tornado to defeat the Destroyer. The way I see it he could've held his own against the Chitauri army on his own. But he seemed toned down in Avengers.
Same with Cap. He was kicking butt in his movie. All those battles, charging into Red Skull's lair, fighting in the bomber. I mean he really demonstrated some martial arts moves, as well as put his life on the line. People who've seen Avengers and think Cap is weak need to watch the First Avenger.
Just seems IM and Hulk were the ones who weren't toned down. Hopefully in Thor 2 and Cap 2 Winter Soldier there's more butt-kicking from these 2 underrated, and underutilized heroes.

Thor went toe-to-toe with Hulk in one of the more memorable scenes in Avengers, and Cap held his own against Loki but took on more of a leadership role when the invasion hit - which made more sense given the challenge presented to them. I don't think their powers were toned down, but more importantly used appropriately.

Thor went toe-to-toe with Hulk in one of the more memorable scenes in Avengers, and Cap held his own against Loki but took on more of a leadership role when the invasion hit - which made more sense given the challenge presented to them. I don't think their powers were toned down, but more importantly used appropriately.

Plus Cap was clearly using his shield in more superheroic ways than he ever did in TFA. I would have liked him to have been a little more competent with that assault rifle he picked up but that was pretty much it.

Yeah they held back far too much. Even Loki was weaker, in Thor he could throw those magical daggers, in Avengers he was a kitten without his sceptre

He literally uses the exact same arsenal he does in Thor.

He uses those knives on some shield agents in the very first scene. Also later on against Thor in the end battle. He uses his illusion technique several times (in germany, in the helicarrier). And he has a spear that was acquired elsewhere in both films. In Thor he gets his fathers spear, Gungnir and in Avengers he gets the chitauri one. The only thing knew is his ability to mind control via the chitauri spear.

I have a strange theory that you haven't actually seen Avengers....:lol

He uses those knives on some shield agents in the very first scene. Also later on against Thor in the end battle. He uses his illusion technique several times (in germany, in the helicarrier). And he has a spear that was acquired elsewhere in both films. In Thor he gets his fathers spear, Gungnir and in Avengers he gets the chitauri one. The only thing knew is his ability to mind control via the chitauri spear.

In all fairness to Nova, it's hard to watch a movie with your eyes squinted shut, your fingers in your ears and your mouth shouting "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA" as loud as you can because there are actually good A-list Superheroes on screen and not lameassed Q-listers. :lecture

In all fairness to Nova, it's hard to watch a movie with your eyes squinted shut, your fingers in your ears and your mouth shouting "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA" as loud as you can because there are actually good A-list Superheroes on screen and not lameassed Q-listers. :lecture

I was just thinking he just pieced together all the avengers gifs on this forum and watched it that way. Your idea makes more sense though.

Seen it just the twice. I only recall him using his sceptre to stab them, i'll take your word for it though :wink1:

:horror:horror:horror

:lol

Thor proved he could survive a Hulk punch and that's quite an achievement. My only qualm with Thor was the limited use of his hammer. He bulldozed over all those Frost Giants in Thor, he coulda bulleted through those flying space slugs or just sat there and spammed that lightning all day. Maybe it needs to recharge? Still made for a great series of shared sequences with Hulk.

:horror:horror:horror

:lol

Thor proved he could survive a Hulk punch and that's quite an achievement. My only qualm with Thor was the limited use of his hammer. He bulldozed over all those Frost Giants in Thor, he coulda bulleted through those flying space slugs or just sat there and spammed that lightning all day. Maybe it needs to recharge? Still made for a great series of shared sequences with Hulk.

He was bowling over Chautari left and right with his hammer. Not sure it would've done much against those flying whale creatures though, them being heavily armored. Iron Man was even having zero effect on them externally.

Based on this, Bio, I'm gonna go with your assumption. :lol

Yup :lol

He was bowling over Chautari left and right with his hammer. Not sure it would've done much against those flying whale creatures though, them being heavily armored. Iron Man was even having zero effect on them externally.

Yeah, I think if Thor did what IM did, and pulled a Jonah it would have worked. That's what he did to the jotunheim ice beast.

Plus Cap was clearly using his shield in more superheroic ways than he ever did in TFA. I would have liked him to have been a little more competent with that assault rifle he picked up but that was pretty much it.

Well in TFA he threw it a lot more. He had it ricocheting off objects and hitting multiple targets. Would have loved him flipping in the air and hitting multiple Chitauri.
And is it just me or should he have been the one to take control of one of those flying sleds? Or at least with BW.

I think they did change Thor's abilities around a bit for the need of the story. Based on what he did in his own film, seems like he should have been able to wipe the floor with Iron Man, but he didn't. Then he hits Cap's shield full strength without driving Cap into the ground. And Thor could have flown up to save Iron Man at the end, but didn't so they could show off the Hulk jump. It's all done for dramatic effect though, so no biggie. Cap seemed pretty similar to me in both films though.

I think they did change Thor's abilities around a bit for the need of the story.

The entire climax would have been much simpler if Thor had simply continued to follow Cap's orders. :lol Why did he nuke two leviathans and entire squadrons of chariots only to leave two seconds later and let them all pour through for the rest of the battle?

He could have stopped the entire invasion while IM and the others mopped up those that had already come through.

Yeah, if he really was Superman like as he was in his own movie, then it seems like the others really didn't serve much purpose, which is why they reigned it in I'm sure. What the hell use are Black Widow and Hawkeye when you've essentially got Superman? So they make him mysteriously disappear from the action and create creative ways to make it seem as if the weaker humans are actually doing some good. It's funny that this is actually something they discuss a bit in early issues of the comic, particularly when Iron Man, Thor, Giant Man and Wasp leave and the other guys (Cap, Quicksilver, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch) question how the hell they can be seriously match up.

Yeah, if he really was Superman like as he was in his own movie, then it seems like the others really didn't serve much purpose, which is why they reigned it in I'm sure. What the hell use are Black Widow and Hawkeye when you've essentially got Superman? It's funny that this is actually something they discuss a bit in early issues of the comic, particularly when Iron Man, Thor, Giant Man and Ant Man leave and the other guys (Cap, Quicksilver, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch) question how the hell they can be seriously match up.

Funnily enough MoS actually did a pretty good job of having Superman allied with normal humans for the final battle by requiring him to be on the other side of the world fighting one part of the battle while the military took out that black hole thing.

Back