Tamiya - 1/6 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy LO (model-kit)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Raptor

Super Freak
Reaction score
Tamiya announced their new Harley-Davidson Fat Boy model kit in 1/6!
It's variant LO, not classic model, but still it looks quite classic! And it should have a lot of metal parts. Not sure how much black it is before assembling, maybe it has more silver in the beginning.
Assembling and painting required.

Some promos:

178089578.jpg

And my compare or LO and Classic FattieBoys:

Anyway, it rocks! :rock
Really good staff for all the T-fans who was not able to get the very first classic black FB.

The price is about 150 USD + shipping.
November release.
Already available for the pre-order at HLJ.

Last edited:
Looks very very similar. Even having the original I'd get one as a back-up if only I had the slightest ability to paint and assemble.

Yap, it's very similar.
You can see some difference on the crank shaft boxes, seats, level of the handlebars and on the headlight. + painting.
But while it's unpainted I cant's say for sure what parts would be black or should (in our case should NOT) be painted into black. We'll see.
Anyway it's very nice. 100% MUST HAVE for me.

Has anyone put together a Tamiya kit before? I've never assembled nor painted any modelling kits like this, but I'm willing to give this a go if it's not too difficult. I can't see painting being that difficult given that it's just solid colours, unlike a headsculpt of a real person.

Yap, it's very similar.
You can see some difference on the crank shaft boxes, seats, level of the handlebars and on the headlight. + painting.
But while it's unpainted I cant's say for sure what parts would be black or should (in our case should NOT) be painted into black. We'll see.
Anyway it's very nice. 100% MUST HAVE for me.

are you gona paint it silver or chrome V-raptor? seems like you could. i think ill get the bike myself too. been dreaming of a fatboy for my Terminator for a long time.

I used to build model cars over two decades ago, I get the appeal of making them, but now a days I don't have the time with working full time and other prioritys, building models just is not gonna happen. I would be interested in already assembled ones made of metal like the motormax motorcycles out there.

Ether way theres no denying the awesome that bike is, thanks for the heads up:hi5:

now i'm a loser with an old plastic bike!!!
oh wait, if it's a kit again, i'm not a loser because i'll never get through that nightmare again.

I have no experience with model kits, but I think it'd be a fun build. I never had the patience in my yoof, but shutting myself away and tinkering with fiddly stuff has it's appeal now. Might have something to do with wanting some peace and quiet :)

Tamiya 1/6 is not as easy and straight forward as, say, a perfect grade gundam model kit.they do require more patience, and yes, having a full time job/school/kids/girl-wife makes it almost impossible for me to even attempt this.
I did before though, and the experience is awesome. I'd say try it of you have the time.

20130820_224825.jpg

Damn! I only just finished painting my Barbie Fatboy Harley not too long ago! Well, even though its not perfect I'm happy with it. Anyway, 150usd for a model kit not including shipping is not really that attractive to me. :dunno

That looks fantastic Mana. Your DX10 looks great on it too. I love the way the light is catching the leathers and the most significant features of Arnie's face

Thanks a-dev! Figurines always looked better in person, was really surprised myself how well it turned out for that particular shot! :)

are you gona paint it silver or chrome V-raptor? seems like you could. i think ill get the bike myself too. been dreaming of a fatboy for my Terminator for a long time.

Chrome paint never really looks like chrome. Even the highest quality stuff like alclad can rub off (wouldn't that suck to have all over your Hot Toys Arnie's pants?). If one is going to spend $150 on a Fat Boy kit, and you want it to look like the Classic, your best bet is to spend a little more and have the unchromed parts that were chrome on the older kit to a plater who specializes in model kits like Chrome Tech USA or Little Motor Car Co (don't know of any hobby plating companies outside of North America).

I don't know why people ask me about this model and it's color, really. :D I'm just a collector, like you. I've never seen it out of the box, so I really have no idea about what parts would be silver or what parts would be black. Srsly!

But S. Griffin ( what? oO) is right, no hand-made chrome paintings would be OK. Anyway, I'm quite OK with Games Workshop Mithril Silver. Not extremely shining, but very nice with gloss finishing. I have nothing against having few parts pained this way.

Already pre-ordered 4. Oo

now i'm a loser with an old plastic bike!!!
oh wait, if it's a kit again, i'm not a loser because i'll never get through that nightmare again.
Naaaah! You're cool, old fox. Your FB is still more close to the original one.

I have put together several tamiya models. I custom made a CB750, see below. I prefer to weather motorcycles and give the wheels, engine and exhaust a grime and worn look for more authentic feel and it makes the models much more photogenic.

The bad thing with most of these chrome model parts is they clasp together and look fake with the models. A black wash helps with the seams as well and can help hide glue spots and unlevel pieces.

Overall though I love the look of this Honda and I will probably pick up the Harley bike since it is way more affordable. Then weather it to where any type of chrome paint will look fine.

96A9C9A6-1DC3-42A3-9616-6A625F90FEFA-13706-000008669E7DF453_zps7e3405be.jpg

I cancelled my PO with HLJ, simply because I was on the fence. Usually when I'm on the fence I keep my PO, but I thought I'd cancel and revisit it in a few weeks' time. I wonder why I did that.

fatboy at tokyio hobby show video.... 8:50
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rpgJjzejo[/ame]

Back