12 Monkeys TV Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vivek

Super Freak
Reaction score
'12 Monkeys' Adaptation Near Series Order at Syfy (Exclusive)
Interesting, didn't see this coming.

My friend Terry Matalas who was part of the Time Machine Restoration project, also a writer on Nikita, Terra Nova and Star Trek: Enterprise is writing this show along with Travis Fickett.

12 Monkeys is one of my favourite sci-fi films and I am really looking forward to this. Though I think the movie is great on its own, I like the idea of exploring the world of 12 Monkeys further, with both the present and post-apocalyptic world which will likely be established in the series in a different way.

Some bits from the article:

"Feature film producers Chuck Roven and Richard Suckle from Atlas Entertainment -- one of the production companies on board the Universal film -- submitted the pitch, which is being eyed as a 90-minute backdoor pilot that would eventually lead to a straight-to-series order in a fashion similar to Syfy's Battlestar Galactica.

Terry Matalas (Nikita, Terra Nova, Star Trek: Enterprise) and Travis Fickett (Nikita, Terra Nova) will pen the script, with 24's Jon Cassar on board to direct.

We have a great pilot, we're now flushing out what the rest of the series might be," Syfy president of original programming Mark Stern told The Hollywood Reporter.

12 Monkeys comes as Syfy looks to beef up its original scripted fare following the successful launch of pricey drama Defiance. The network is looking to add five to six new original scripted projects for 2014 to join Helix, which also was picked up straight to series."

We're looking at short orders, maybe eight to 10 [episodes] as opposed to 13," Stern said. "Some may be [split runs of] 10 and 10. Our goal is to do five or six original scripted series a year and a big tentpole event miniseries that could also possibly serve as a backdoor pilot to a series as well the way that Battlestar Galactica did. It's an exciting time for us."

"We have a half-dozen scripts that are all pretty amazing in their own way," Stern said of Syfy's development pipeline. "It's a return to our roots in terns of science-fiction: cool, interesting push-the-genre science fiction. Some we're looking at doing straight to series because you really want to give them the flexibility and do a closed-ended arced run. Some of them are going to be traditional pilots, then we'll decide and they may be a bit more episodic."

Last edited:
Please NO! I love that film, and honestly any further examination of it would only be for the worse.

I agree completely. The movie ties itself up so beautifully.

The only way would be that they retcon it a bit and have it be a continuous search for the virus with completely different characters.

The only way would be that they retcon it a bit and have it be a continuous search for the virus with completely different characters.
That's exactly what I am hoping for. Different characters being setup in the same universe who are trying to narrow the containment or preventing it.

Interesting way they made the doctor of the future be the same as the past. But I think I'll pass mostly because it loses the dark humor, quirky tone of the movie which I think played an essential role of how the story was told. I think the show is taking itself too seriously.

Probably not, but SyFy has come up with a few good series. Hopefully this is one.

True, though I don't have a lot of confidence in it since I haven't seen any marketing for it anywhere. I'll wait to hear what people think after it airs. It'll probably end up on Netflix at some point anyway.

Just watched the first episode....I liked it. Held my interest for the hour. Well-produced and good pace. It's a serial so not expecting any "stand-alone" kind of episodes. It's running 13 episodes so hopefully they've got the story they're telling mapped out and aren't going to pull the "red herring" of the week schtick running up to the Abrams/Lindoff style ending of "well, gotta wrap it up now, you've been dead all along so everything that happened was pointless" kind of ending.

A bit jarring seeing the Brad Pitt character re-cast as a woman...we'll see how that plays. It worked with Starbuck on BG so why not here? I'll give the rest of it a go.....

First episode is/was good. Will watch more

Re-watching the movie now, and my god, it is so damn hokey. Almost cheesy. I can see why I never rewatched it until now.....

I watched it online since I don't have Syfy channel.

I like it OK. Its a lot better than other TV shows. Although it could be better and can't even compare to the movie. I think the writing is weak, for example the time traveling proof is in the first 10 minutes.

Back