Statue Weta Workshop's Tom, Bert and William Troll Statues

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are really cool. Weta did them like this to go with the stone troll environment from the SSW line.

These are going to be great. Tom is in-stock right now so you can have him ASAP but once all together they will make for a cool display.

These look really nice, but secretly I was hoping for some big, nasty, expensive trolls. This is much better for the wallet, though.

Much better indeed! They may do bigger ones later but for now they thought this would go better with the Stone Trolls Environment.

Much better indeed! They may do bigger ones later but for now they thought this would go better with the Stone Trolls Environment.

Is that what they told you at their booth?

I would have liked all 3 on the same base, but doing them individually is more affordable. Might have to pick these up.

Yeah, Daniel and I talked about it Wednesday. I do think we will see them done on the same base at some point.

i don't understand the logic behind making what is supposed to be a larger scale subject in miniature. that won't go with many collector's displays. i also don't know why there would be three separate releases. who would want just one? at $75 each, wouldn't it make more sense to put all 3 together on one base for $225? with a price point of $700 for barad-dur, i have to beleive they are just throwing stuff against the wall and hoping something will stick. why not a reissue of the stone trolls sculpt with these three newer sculpts in 1/6 scale. i would pay $400 for that.

other than what appears to be indecision on the weta designers, the sculpts look great! they really should be larger.

i don't understand the logic behind making what is supposed to be a larger scale subject in miniature. that won't go with many collector's displays. i also don't know why there would be three separate releases. who would want just one? at $75 each, wouldn't it make more sense to put all 3 together on one base for $225? with a price point of $700 for barad-dur, i have to beleive they are just throwing stuff against the wall and hoping something will stick. why not a reissue of the stone trolls sculpt with these three newer sculpts in 1/6 scale. i would pay $400 for that.

other than what appears to be indecision on the weta designers, the sculpts look great! they really should be larger.
No. .......three 1/6 scale trolls for $400? In your dreams

This should clear your confusion.
We debated and argued about the scale internally.

If we had made the Trolls 1/6th scale, they would have been much bigger and much, much more expensive (probably over US$500), and we felt this would have severely reduced the demand.

We are very aware there are different groups of collectors out there. Some want grander pieces like Barad-dur and Azog on Warg. Some want a range of 1/6th scale figures. And some want more affordable pieces under the US$100 price point. The Trolls are particularly popular with younger fans of the movies, especially the tens of thousands of younger fans that come and see the full scale Trolls at the Weta Cave. So in this case, we have designed Tom, William and Bert primarily with them in mind. We chose a smaller scale to keep them more affordable, and kept them as separate pieces to allow customers to only purchase one if they prefer.

If we did make everything at 1/6th scale, then we would only be creating pieces for one customer group. And we think that would be unfair on the other groups.

I hope you can understand our thinking. Unfortunately we can't keep everyone happy

Kind regards

Tim

PS : The separate bases also allow customers to position William, Tom and Bert as they wish

This should clear your confusion.

they should have made that plan with barad-dur. $700 knocked it out of many collector's budgets, especially when orthanc, the companion tower was only $275.

as far as the 3 stone trolls, the original was $300 and was 10" tall. although these trolls are very detailed, not NEARLY as detailed as barad-dur. if they are basing their price point for the amount of sculpting involved, a 12" stone trolls statue should be between $400 and $450. no rhyme or reason when it comes to their pricing and scale choices.

i have purchased every dwarf so far and will continue to do so although i feel $250 is too much for a dwarf statue that's a bit less than 10" tall but at least they're 1/6 scale.

No. .......three 1/6 scale trolls for $400? In your dreams

well adolfo, i've seen several statues with way more detail and scale with better paint for less money. here's some examples of what you should get for between $350-$400. setting a 1/6 scale (10-12") for between $400 and $450 for 3 stone trolls is certainly not unreasonable. and not in my dreams because i won't be buying any more overpriced pieces after i complete the dwarfs.

arthas statue from sideshow...$349.99 and 19" tall.

300069_press01-001.jpg

batman premium format from sideshow...$399.99 and 25" tall.

300131_press01-001.jpg

green lantern premium format from sideshow...$349.99 and 21" tall.

300130_press05-001.jpg

If you were talking about Sideshow I agree. This is not Sideshow. Again in your dreams if you think Weta will do that. Of course there's more bang for your buck in lots of other statues and other statue companies. I do think Weta is over-priced and you will only get three 1/6 scale trolls for $400 in your dreams or if you make the statue yourself. Just being real. Do you really know how big a 1/6 troll would really be too? Just think about it. I'm also the first to complain about prices. My problem is for me LotR is #1 and I buy it anyway. Weta's biggest rip off is the little Fellowship statues, by comparison the trolls are a freakin bargain to almost anything Weta has

Last edited:
Maybe Weta need to charge more for Hobbit stuff because the licence was more expensive than LOTR? Look at the art prints - Hobbit art prints are more expensive than LOTR art prints, and both are from Weta.
Yes i also don't like the prices, but we're not living in 2005 anymore when the SSW line was more affordable. Prices rise but wages rarely do.

all i'm saying is, in this day of rising prices, making it more difficult for collectors to afford the pieces they want, manufacturers need to compete for those dollars spent. there are countless choices of how to spend your bucks. blowing people out of the water with too high a price should be of great concern to weta. i'm glad people agree that their prices are set too high.

My strategy has been to buy things on sale when they announce sales and to keep looking at eBay where any sellers on an open edition product will be hammered. For example, a gandalf sold for 100 dollars plus 45 shipping. So far I have Bilbo, Balin and Dwalin and think I paid 450 for the three of them, almost 300 off the retail price.

Back