Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How are the Classic Sideshow Monsters?

I'm pretty new to collecting Sideshow and 12" stuff, but I'm really getting sucked in quick. I'm wanting to expand my horror collection with some of the earlier universal classics releases from Sideshow as well as the modern horror stuff. I know the modern horror stuff seems to be great, but what about the Universal Monsters, how's the quality on them? These were made fairly early in Sideshow's making 12" figures right? I'd like to know whatever you guys can tell me about 'em, articulation, quality of clothing, sculpting, paint, and whatever else I need to know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just a little freaky
    Feedback
    I own the Silver Screen Edition of The Phantom of the Opera, Frankenstein's Monster, and the Invisible Man. Gotta say I like them all. I really wanna get Boris Karloff as the Mummy but have had a hard time finding one.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    9 (100%)
    It depends on which ones you are intewrested in. Like SW, some are great, some need work. For perfect out of the box, see Creature from the Black Lagoon ($$$), Phantom as the Red Death, Phantom, Son of Frankenstein, Bride of Frank, Larry Talbot, and Renfield.

Dracula ($$) is pretty good, but needs adjustment and a repaint.

Like so:

You can also look into the Silver Scren figures, like Drac, Vampyre, Phantom, and London After Midnight, all quality.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    I’ve closed the painting business, but if you see anything on my site you like, I’m accepting offers!

Super Freak
    Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie_Freeloader
    I own the Silver Screen Edition of The Phantom of the Opera, Frankenstein's Monster, and the Invisible Man. Gotta say I like them all. I really wanna get Boris Karloff as the Mummy but have had a hard time finding one.

Oh, I forgot about the Invisible Man! I don;t own one, but it looks like a great figure, along with Werewolf of London.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    I’ve closed the painting business, but if you see anything on my site you like, I’m accepting offers!

I $ Figures
    Feedback
    17 (100%)
    Mikey, you should really have a before-and-after of Dracula. Anybody who sees your repaint (or Les's, in my sig below) who looks for a Drac will think when they find it that it's the wrong figure. The hands-down worst factory paint Sideshow ever released.

To Mikey's list of good-to-go right out the box winners, I'd add the color London After Midnight, which is a terrific and underrated figure with its real hair and beaver hat (it turns up on eBay fairly often), the Mr. Hyde figure, and Fritz from Frankenstein.

All the early figures had looser joints than today's releases and only a clip-on foot brace instead of a stand. They fall down a lot if you don't add your own stands.

Thanks for all the help guys.

What about the Wolf Man Lon Cheaney, White Zombie Bela Lugosi, Nosferatu the Vampyre, and which Frankenstein is better Bride of, House of, or original Frankenstein?

You know that one too/Mod MODERATOR
    Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for all the help guys.

What about the Wolf Man Lon Cheaney, White Zombie Bela Lugosi, Nosferatu the Vampyre, and which Frankenstein is better Bride of, House of, or original Frankenstein?
    You can't go wrong with the original Frank.

The pics aren't very good, but here is my small Sideshow Universal Monsters collection:

Super Freak
    Feedback
    349 (100%)
    Visit EVILFACE's Instagram Channel
    Ardeth Bey, Red Death Phantom, Creature from the Black Lagoon and Son of Frankenstein are my favorite. They rule.
    "Let me have a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it fast. I'm in a god damn hurry."

Super Freak
    Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Some of the greatest figures Sideshow has done are in the UM line...They gainned there reputation on those figures...Poor paint jobs a la Star wars didnt exist back then...One of my all time favorite Sideshow figure still today, is that Vampyre Max Shrek 12''...