EVANGELION Live action movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alice Adrenochrome

Super Freak
Reaction score
Here's a site with tons of information on the planned Neon Genesis Evangelion movie. The site features some WETA concept art, AND a filmed interview with Weta's Ben Wootten and Richard Taylor! A must see for NGE fans!
As a huge NGE fan, I can't wait to see the outcome of the cooperation between ADV and Weta! Even if the interview has been around for some time, I hadn't seen it before, so a lot of information given there was new to me. One thing that really struck me, is that Taylor compares the world-type of Blade Runner to that of NGE. Can it get any better that that?! The interview gives a good indication on what Weta would like the NGE movie to be, and what direction the NGE universe design is going. It will be awesome!

https://eva.trivialbeing.net/

Thanks for the info Alice! NGE is also one of my favorite Animes and I hope they can pull it off. I know they are releasing a life-action movie about Death Note in Japan and the trailer for it wasn't very promising.

that is great to hear that WETA is moving forward with the project. I heard that they were ready to pull the plug on this.

carbo-fation said:
Thanks for the info Alice! NGE is also one of my favorite Animes and I hope they can pull it off. I know they are releasing a life-action movie about Death Note in Japan and the trailer for it wasn't very promising.

Live Action Death Note is actually pretty good. They do some stuff in the film that I prefer to the Manga.

TOE said:
that is great to hear that WETA is moving forward with the project. I heard that they were ready to pull the plug on this.

It has been going on for awhile. I have no idea where they are with it now, since all the hype now is the new EVA series next year. If it does ultimately come through. I hope they keep the Japanese characters Japanese for this movie. But since most of the staff seems to be Americans, I'm not sure..

Tendou-Kabuto said:
It has been going on for awhile. I have no idea where they are with it now, since all the hype now is the new EVA series next year. If it does ultimately come through. I hope they keep the Japanese characters Japanese for this movie. But since most of the staff seems to be Americans, I'm not sure..
Yes, that's a valuable concern you mention there; I support the idea of featuring some Japanese characters, (especially Japanese chicks :monkey5 ). I guess a healthy melange of Asian and non-asian actors would be the best option. Let's be clear, NGE is a Japanese creation, and it would be a shame if the soul of it would be Americanized. The last thing I wanna see is a "so so" movie version of one of the most brilliant anime's ever made. Knowing that the Weta guys are working on it, is very reassuring though.

Alice Adrenochrome said:
Yes, that's a valuable concern you mention there; I support the idea of featuring some Japanese characters, (especially Japanese chicks :monkey5 ). I guess a healthy melange of Asian and non-asian actors would be the best option. Let's be clear, NGE is a Japanese creation, and it would be a shame if the soul of it would be Americanized. The last thing I wanna see is a "so so" movie version of one of the most brilliant anime's ever made. Knowing that the Weta guys are working on it, is very reassuring though.

i know what you mean. For instance, I heard Dragonball Z the live action movie is in the works but Americans are casted to play the parts. I prefer Japanese actors.

TOE said:
i know what you mean. For instance, I heard Dragonball Z the live action movie is in the works but Americans are casted to play the parts. I prefer Japanese actors.

:rotfl Can you imagine an American GOku or Vegeta....they better stick with Asian actors. :cool:

carbo-fation said:
:rotfl Can you imagine an American GOku or Vegeta....they better stick with Asian actors. :cool:

I heard Brandon Frasier is playing Goku :monkey4 , then again, it was just rumor.

carbo-fation said:
He would better suit as Brolly. Goku was pretty short and Frasir is like 6'4".

sorry man, i cannot see him playing as any of the characer. To me, he is a goof and the only goof that I know off in the series is the old perverted turtle dude, sorry forgot his name.

TOE said:
sorry man, i cannot see him playing as any of the characer. To me, he is a goof and the only goof that I know off in the series is the old perverted turtle dude, sorry forgot his name.
:lol I guess you're right! Oh...the old guy was the Turtle Hermit, Master Roshi.

Alice Adrenochrome said:

found this:

READ:

Aint It Cool News has just released some pictures of the upcoming Evangelion live action movie as sketched by WETA Workshop (Lord of the Rings) artists. These pictures can also be found inside the Evangelion: Director's Cut DVD (contains the redone episodes 21-24) that is released by ADV film this week. There have been some controversy surrounding these drawings because some of the character names that accompanied the sketches are different from the character names in the anime version (Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Misato, etc). What we get on the sketches instead are names such as "Ray", "Kate Rose", and "Susan Whitnell".

Some people have suggested that the names are just either code names or the name of the designers who sketch those pictures. I hope that's the case. I want ADV film to have the guts to actually retain the original character names and cast Japanese actors/actress for most of the characters - with the exception of maybe Asuka (she's 3/4 German) and some SEELE members. I'm not even the most hardcore EVA fans out there but I have to say that Shinji, Asuka, and the other original characters are the ones whose stories I've followed, and whose plight I sympathise with. I can't say the same thing if the characters are now named Joe and Angie, or in this case, Susan Whitnell.

TOE said:
found this:

READ:

Aint It Cool News has just released some pictures of the upcoming Evangelion live action movie as sketched by WETA Workshop (Lord of the Rings) artists. These pictures can also be found inside the Evangelion: Director's Cut DVD (contains the redone episodes 21-24) that is released by ADV film this week. There have been some controversy surrounding these drawings because some of the character names that accompanied the sketches are different from the character names in the anime version (Shinji, Asuka, Rei, Misato, etc). What we get on the sketches instead are names such as "Ray", "Kate Rose", and "Susan Whitnell".

Some people have suggested that the names are just either code names or the name of the designers who sketch those pictures. I hope that's the case. I want ADV film to have the guts to actually retain the original character names and cast Japanese actors/actress for most of the characters - with the exception of maybe Asuka (she's 3/4 German) and some SEELE members. I'm not even the most hardcore EVA fans out there but I have to say that Shinji, Asuka, and the other original characters are the ones whose stories I've followed, and whose plight I sympathise with. I can't say the same thing if the characters are now named Joe and Angie, or in this case, Susan Whitnell.
I perfectly agree with you! As for the names on the concept sketches, yes I've noticed that too. Don't know what the purpose of it is, but I think it's a code name thing. As you can hear in the interview, the Weta guys are well aware of the fact that this is a Japanese tale, and I can only hope that they will defend that idea towards the ADV guys. I think the original makers of NGE have to much pride in their creation as to sell it without any restrictions on plot/characters, etc..

Back