Superman Returns on DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomandshell

Blue Flame of the West/Mod
Reaction score
Superman Returns comes out on DVD next month--November 28th, to be exact.

There will be a widescreen single disc set, an edited pan & scan single disc set :monkey2 , a widescreen 2-disc set, and HD versions on both BluRay and HD-DVD (both of which include all of the bonus features from the 2 disc set) :monkey5 . You can also get the 2 disc version in the 14 disc "Ultimate Collector's Edition" boxed set.

Good news and lots of choices for Superman fans, right? Well, guess how many of these are up for preorder at Amazon? Just one--the 14 disc set. But for somebody (like me) who just wants Superman Returns, they won't let me order it. I get almost all of my DVDs from them and I am a little confused as to why a major movie that comes out next month is not available for preorder.

:confused:

hairlesswookiee said:
so tom are you gonna get the HD version for your upcoming purchase of 360 HD player??

Yes!!!

Although the HD-DVD version will have the HD on one side of the disc and the regular DVD version on the other, so you can watch it in HD at your house or in old timey definition in your mom's regular DVD player. With BluRay, you have to have a BR player or you're out of luck. So the HD combo disc is the one I'll be getting. (If Amazon ever puts it up for sale...)

tomandshell said:
Yes!!!

Although the HD-DVD version will have the HD on one side of the disc and the regular DVD version on the other, so you can watch it in HD at your house or in old timey definition in your mom's regular DVD player. With BluRay, you have to have a BR player or you're out of luck. So the HD combo disc is the one I'll be getting. (If Amazon ever puts it up for sale...)
Tom, were you a hyperactive kid growing up? :lol

maybe he's just really excited!!! hey tom you seem to know whats up. do all the HD dvds come with the regular dvd version on the other side?? if so i might as well start buying them for when i get my 360 player for christmas

Batty said:
Tom, were you a hyperactive kid growing up? :lol

Yes. I was raised by a pack of labrador retrievers:

labs-children-6-400.jpg

hairlesswookiee said:
maybe he's just really excited!!! hey tom you seem to know whats up. do all the HD dvds come with the regular dvd version on the other side?? if so i might as well start buying them for when i get my 360 player for christmas

No, only some do. They are specifically marked and cost a few bucks more.

LAKE HOUSE

KISS KISS BANG BANG

RUMOR HAS IT

FIREWALL

The nice thing about these combos is that you can get them to watch on your regular player and as soon as you get an HD player you are all set. The bad thing is that you have to watch "Lake House" or "Rumor Has It."

tomandshell said:
No, only some do. They are specifically marked and cost a few bucks more.

EXAMPLE

The nice thing about these combos is that you can get them to watch on your regular player and as soon as you get an HD player you are all set.

yeah i was gonna say.. dam!! how is blu ray gonna compete?? still it sounds good to me. i guess im gonna go with HD then.

hairlesswookiee said:
yeah i was gonna say.. dam!! how is blu ray gonna compete?? still it sounds good to me. i guess im gonna go with HD then.

Well, I don't know. People may not think they need the HD-DVD upgrade for their Xbox, but everybody who gets a PS3 will be able to watch a BluRay disc, like it or not. Sony forcing their format down everybody's throats will certainly drive sales of the BluRay discs over time.

But the stand alone HD-DVD players cost half as much as the BluRay ones.

yeah!! oh crap im all over the Army of Darkness DVD!!! possibly the werewolf in london too. crap.. i guess im gonna buy the hd add on before christmas. whats up with Halloween?? ive been dying for a boxed set of those forever. (i know there's that Chinese set but it costs too much)

only bad thing about the hddvd combos is you miss the extras on the standard disc side (dunno about hd side)..kinda like buying the single disc vanilla edition

or is the hddvd version a 2 disc set.....I thought it was one disc but flippable

are they region coded like standard dvds

Superman Returns will have the HD version of the film and all of the special features from the 2 disc set on one side, and the standard DVD version of the film on the other. You won't miss out on the special features, you will just need to watch them on your HD player.

The HD DVD edition will be a HD DVD / DVD Combo ($39.99 SRP) offering the film presented in 1080P Widescreen with English (Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1 & Dolby TrueHD 5.1), French and Spanish audio (Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1) and subtitle options on side one, and the Widescreen standard definition version on side two. Using a 30GB HD side all the extras are expected to make it onto this release intact, but they will only be present on the HD side of the disc (most likely presented in standard definition).

special features in SD on HD side

pitchin said:
special features in SD on HD side

Yes, they will be. I guess that's how they are getting it all to fit--there wouldn't be enough room to fit them all on the SD side in addition to the movie, or to fit them on the HD side in HD in addition to the movie.

Last edited:
Back